Who is the coach who made Hawthorn who they are today?

Remove this Banner Ad

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arizona DiamondBacks
I understand John Kennedy is the god father of the club and our first premiership coach but after watching the birds of prey video history of the club why doesn't Jack Hale get more credit as watching this he made us hate to lose and to show that your not hurt on the field. And he also was the first man to lead the hawks to the finals. So did this man make hawthorn and Kennedy continued this and added to it.

I understand John Kennedy is the god father of the club and our first premiership coach but after watching the birds of prey video history of the club why doesn't Jack Hale get more credit as watching this he made us hate to lose and to show that your not hurt on the field. And he also was the first man to lead the hawks to the finals. So did this man make hawthorn and Kennedy continued this and added to it.

You said it!

It might be a case of each of the significant coaches building on what the previous coaches have created. Jack Hale developed something at the club which Kennedy built on, Jeansy added to and Clarko is further enhancing. It's something that has evolved through having a succession of good people at the helm I think. A bit hard to pin it on one coach as such (IMO). One thing I do know is you have to have selfless team oriented people in your club for a successful club both on and off the field, something that Hawthorn has always had a lot of and some other clubs are sadly lacking in (not naming any names!). I first started following footy when Jeansy was in charge and never thought I would see another coach as loved and respected as him but Clarko is coming close.

I'd take it back to the 30s and suggest if it were not for the tireless efforts of Dr. Jacob Jona, the club would have folded long before Hale & Kennedy came along. Just as an aside, Dr Jona played 3 games for my SANFL club Norwood in 1908 and continued donating money to the club well into the 1950s. A great man.

Hale attempted to impart discipline into the players and succeeded to a degree.

Kennedy pioneered a new era in football by demanding greater fitness and turned the Hawthorn Football completely around. I'd go so far to suggest if Kennedy hadn't come along when he did, we'd probably be where Fitzroy are today.

I'd take it back to the 30s and suggest if it were not for the tireless efforts of Dr. Jacob Jona, the club would have folded long before Hale & Kennedy came along. Just as an aside, Dr Jona played 3 games for my SANFL club Norwood in 1908 and continued donating money to the club well into the 1950s. A great man.

Hale attempted to impart discipline into the players and succeeded to a degree.

Kennedy pioneered a new era in football by demanding greater fitness and turned the Hawthorn Football completely around. I'd go so far to suggest if Kennedy hadn't come along when he did, we'd probably be where Fitzroy are today.

Before John Kennedy, we were perennial Wooden Spooners, and only made the Finals once in the 34 years our club was in the VFL.
John Kennedy turned around the mentality go the Club, and put steel into the players.

He won our first 3 Premierships.
He was our greatest leader, mentor, coach and everything else.

And such a humble man, as well.

Cazaly supposedly put some practices in place from an administration point of view
He was also the one who got the ball rolling on us becoming the Hawks

Kennedy was definitely the one who demanded professionalism

Clarko though, he's the one who brought that back

Once again, comparing people's success in an evolving sport over decades is like comparing apples and oranges. Certainly, all the people mentioned had a hand in the development and eventual success. However there were many, many more individuals who also contributed, albeit in a less conspicuous manner. There were also factors that I can remember that were very important to our club.

The recruiting of Candles Thompson got us some room on the back pages of the local papers, which at the time was usually non-existent. To find Hawthorn news you would have to scan for o small one column item on the second or third back page.
Finally getting Peter Hudson, and the very lucky fact that a certain Leigh Matthews was in our zone.

I have been very lucky to have first met John Kennedy when he first started at Hawthorn, so maybe I am a little biased, but if I had to pick one individual out as the most influential person in getting our club to where we are today, then I would pick him. However, it's one thing to get to the top, but another to stay there, and in my opinion we couldn't be in better hands than we are now. Clarko may well go down as Hawthorn' most successful coach, and that would be a great feat. I should add that he would be the first to say he couldn't do it without the quality of the personnel around him.

To sum up it wasn't just one coach who made Hawthorn what they are today, but a lot of quality people.

Thank you Hawthorn for taking me the entire journey.

I would have to say Alan Joyce.

524015-110721-alan-joyce-qantas.jpg

Definitely Alan Joyce.

I would have to say Alan Joyce.

If the truth be told, Gary Conan Ayres, if that IS your real name, you led a revolt against Alan Joyce to stop his training methods back in the day.
So I don't believe you.

As an aside, I always assumed that Alan Joyce was only chosen as coach so they didn't have to change the initials on the coach's locker!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might just be the bias towards the present that is hard to get away from, but it seems to me the answer has to be Clarko. All the coaches mentioned like Jeans, Kennedy, and Joyce obviously had huge influences on our great club. But if we had been coached by rubbish coaches for the last 10 years then I don't think you'd see much of that influence in terms of how the club would actually be right now. On the other hand, you take away all those past coaches from our history but keep all the current personnel, and I don't think there would be a huge difference to how the club operates today.

So to the question of who made us the club we are today, rather than the club we've been historically over the past 60 years, the only answer that makes sense to me is Alistair Clarkson.

I would like to mention John "Bones" O'Mahoney who was in charge of our seconds, when John Kennedy had the seniors, for many years. I could be wrong, but he was partially responsible for the long term development of players.

It might just be the bias towards the present that is hard to get away from, but it seems to me the answer has to be Clarko. All the coaches mentioned like Jeans, Kennedy, and Joyce obviously had huge influences on our great club. But if we had been coached by rubbish coaches for the last 10 years then I don't think you'd see much of that influence in terms of how the club would actually be right now. On the other hand, you take away all those past coaches from our history but keep all the current personnel, and I don't think there would be a huge difference to how the club operates today.

So to the question of who made us the club we are today, rather than the club we've been historically over the past 60 years, the only answer that makes sense to me is Alistair Clarkson.

Yeah, nah.

This club wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the turn around in culture in the late 50's and 60's, thus it influences who we are today. Also, don't under estimate the influence that John Kennedy has had at the club well past when he actually stopped coaching it.

If Kennedy hadn't left the club in 64 to become a teacher could we had won more flags in the 60's

I'll go Kennedy.

010049-lance-franklin.jpg

I love this image. Not the scumbag on the right, but the look of JK. His grandson just won a GF and he couldn't give two shits. He's up there IMO
The man on the left would take a bullet for this club, there is no one on earth who loves the hawthorn football club more than Kanga. It's an insult to even have the turncoat in this picture with him.

I'll go Kennedy.

I love this image. Not the scumbag on the right, but the look of JK. His grandson just won a GF and he couldn't give two shits. He's up there IMO

You can tell by the look on Franklin's face that he's just had the thought "What if the Swans don't want me? ... "

I'll go Kennedy.

Haha, it's so true.....although apparently Dulcie was cheering for the grandson........... and she's our number 1 supporter this year!

Obviously John Kennedy is one, but Yabby would have to be up there too. 3 time premiership coach including back to back, but was universally loved by his players. He developed and nurtured a lot of our stars. I don't think Dermie would have been the same player had yabby not been looking after him, reckon he helped take Dipper to the next level etc etc.

I'll go Kennedy.

That is a fantastic picture, You can just see he's thinking "Oh you little s**t" to Josh Kennedy

Ill nominate one

1847554-3x2-940x627.jpg

tiki-download_file.php

Jack Hale should also be acknowledged. Hawthorn were perennial cellar-dwellers when he arrived at Hawthorn in the early 1950's. We'd never done anything, but he helped lift Hawthorn from the bottom of the ladder to their first-ever finals series in 1957. Hawthorn were generally regarded as the "nice guys" and "easybeats" of the VFL, but Hale set about eliminating the casual amateur attitude which had permeated the club and instilled the necessary mongrel to win games of footy. He demanded his players win the hard ball at all costs.

"Jack Hale taught Hawthorn to hate defeat," said John Kennedy, who often credited Hale as being the one who laid the foundations of the 1961 premiership side.

Coached 1952-59
1944 - 11th, 2-15-1, 66.3%
1945 - 10th, 6-14, 85.7%
1946 - 12th, 3-16, 70.5%
1947 - 11th, 4-15, 76.4%
1948 - 11th, 5-14, 75.7%
1949 - 12th, 3-16, 61.1%
1950 - 12th, 0-18, 49.8%
1951 - 11th, 4-14, 75.0%
1952 - 11th, 5-14, 69.6%
1953 - 12th, 3-15, 68.5%
1954 - 9th, 8-10, 88.0%
1955 - 8th, 8-10, 94.0%
1956 - 7th, 7-10-1, 88.9%
1957 - 3rd, 11-7, 116.7%
1958 - 6th, 9-9, 109.3%
1959 - 7th, 9-9, 112.8%

1960 - 5th, 11-7, 105.0%
1961 - 1st, 14-4, 125.1%

Hale was a Carlton rover during the 1930s. He played in their 1938 premiership team and represented Victoria.
He coached South Melbourne from 1948-49 and in 1950 he was appointed an assistant coach to Bob McCaskill at Hawthorn.

Hale was appointed coach in 1952, after McCaskill's health deteriorated. He became the first man to coach Hawthorn to more than 100 matches.
He led the Hawks to the 1957 finals where they defeated Carlton in the First Semi before losing the Preliminary Final to eventual premiers Melbourne
He stepped down at the end of 1959 when he believed that his skipper John Kennedy was ready to take over.

"When I went to Hawthorn," Hale said, "I took the Carlton spirit with me. I wanted to create a Hawthorn spirit by encouraging the local kids to become involved. I suppose it was the start of the 'family club' tradition."

1957 First Semi Final
Hawthorn….5.3….7.6….9.7…10.11.71
Carlton……..0.2….2.7….4.9….6.12.48
Goals: Cabble 3, Arthur 2, Simmonds 2, M Young 2, Falconer
Best: Edwards, Arthur, Falconer, Maginness, M Young, Cabble
Umpire: Nash, free kicks: 23-28
69,455 at the MCG

Hawks won by 23 points.

The game was famous for the hail storm at half time which blanketed the MCG in white and made the surface a quagmire in the second half.

The Age match report: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=_FERAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UZUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4446,106550
Photo: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=_FERAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UZUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7419,104299

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back