List Mgmt. Who is playing for their careers in 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
i started one of these threads for 2016, thought it would be a good idea to get one started for 2017 with off season training starting on the 7th of november.

of those OOC end of 2017, (thanks dlanod for the list) i think these need a good season.

Tom Rockliff- not much explanation needed, needs to perform on and off the field.

Nick Robertson- potential is a dirty word, needs to show more composure with the ball. i am a big fan of what he brings but he needs to cement a spot in the 22 or he will be moved on with the midfield talent we could be bringing on board this draft period IMO.

Michael Close- needs an injury free run, with his professionalism and elite fitness i think he could cement a spot as a 3rd tall gut running forward.

Claye Beams- injury a killer as well for Claye, definite last chance for him this year, just hope he gets a decent injury free crack at it.

Jonathan Freeman- been at the club a while now and the KPF challengers are mounting (Close, Hipwood, Schache, Walker, McStay?). needs to get a bit of mongrel about his game.

Ryan Harwood- has what we need when in form ie. run and gun, lockdown small defender. needs to cement a top 22 berth as well.

Jarred Jansen- i have my doubts he will make it, shows that dreaded word potential.

Cian Hanley- simply needs to get on the park so we can see what he has got.

the others OOC in 2017 i see as safe other than some sort of implosion- Daniel McStay, Tom Cutler, Josh Schache, Ben Keays, Josh Clayton.

some OOC 2018 who may be looked on as trade bait if they don't show a bit more than they have already IMO- Josh Walker, Tom Bell, Ryan Lester, Rohan Bewick.

all players need to impress Chris Fagan and the revamped coaching team and it starts on november 7. the coaches will be looking for a great attitude, buy in, elite on/off field standards, leadership potential, training standard role models.

get stuck in boys.

I think almost everyone will be playing for their careers (at lions at least) next season. New coach, new direction and everyone will be on a clean slate. No past tickets in the bank for Fagan I feel. I want to see who can rise to the top and those who fall.

Gives Fagan a chance to park reputations on the side and have a clean look at the whole list.

I've read that Clarkson would drop players for forgetting or slacking off while running to their spots in setting up the zone. Expecting similar ruthlessness from Fagan with whatever game plan he implements.

As SizeMatters said I tend to think everyone will be playing for their career to some extent but I do think a few more in the firing line than others. I tend to think we've already brought in a lot of youth over the last few drafts and might see some significant improvement at the tail end of the year so will be looking to only make minimal changes. This might give a second chance/stay of execution for a few of the 20-23 year old guys that perhaps haven't shown anything spectacular but still have more scope for improvement than some of our longer serving players. In the crosshairs imo are:

Claye Beams - Unfortunately seems like he's one more injury away from retirement. I desperately hope he can get the chance to play some consistent football but it seems like a longshot at this point. If he does make it through to the end of next year unscathed but hasn't solidified a spot in the 22 then I expect we'll give him the opportunity to move somewhere else unimpeded as a RFA. If there's no interest that will be probably it for his AFL career.

Harwood - Will be another player eligible for RFA at the end of next year. I like what he can bring to the side; he gives us dash out of defense, he can shut down a small forward, brings a hard edge to the defense and aside from those occasional face-palming brainfart moments he's a neat user of the ball and doesn't waste his possessions. Like Claye though he doesn't seem to be able to string together games due to injury. Whenever he gets a good run going he gets injured and he seems to be a very slow starter coming back from injury. Could be that he hasn't really solidified his spot before injury or could be that his form just dips but he never returns straight to the seniors once he's recovered. Considering he'll be an RFA like Claye I see him desperately needing an uninjured run and a firm spot in the 22 otherwise he'll be somewhere else in 2018.

Freeman/Close - Bundling these two together because at this stage I think it's unlikely both are Lions in 2018. Schache and Hipwood currently present as a very strong future forward duo. This could change depending on how Fagan sees our list going forward but currently I think you can lock them in for the future forward pillars which just leaves a spot for a third tall capable of relieving in the ruck.
With Walker have 3 guys currently competing for that one role along with another Academy player who looms as quite a talent capable of playing the same role. Simply can't have four guys on the list competing for that one role. Freeman can take a great contested grab up forward, which is extremely valuable, but offers little else. He disappears and doesn't offer defensive pressure and despite having a few games where he's marking almost everything that comes at him he's never really put together a dominant performance or kicked a bag of goals. From my perspective it seems like he just doesn't work hard enough.
Close has been hampered by injury but when he is on field he does offer a lot more forward pressure than Freeman. He doesn't have the contested marking skills of Freeman but he can take a good grab. Although a lot of the time when he does take a good grab I think they seem a bit more impressive because he hasn't really put himself in optimal position or has been put out of position by his opponent yet still manages to get his hand on the ball and complete the mark. He's also a steady kick at goal. He does have a lot of running power but at this point hasn't really demonstrated it around the ground in any game I can think of but he certainly tries hard when on field.
Both offer about as much as the other in the ruck which is to say they can hold it down in relief but will never, ever dominate.
Considering their contrasting skill set it's kinda unlucky we can't merge the two together because you'd definitely have a great player there. In terms of trade value I'd probably marginally give the edge to Freeman but doubt it'd be too much more. Both could offer something to another club and I think whichever one demonstrates less this year will be at another club in 2018. A one year extension looms for the other if they don't solidify a spot at which point we'll probably have the same situation with them and Walker.

Rocky - Ball is in his court. He has remained a Lion but will more than likely never be captain again. He either shows a willingness to work within the new systems installed under our new coach and captain as we build towards out future, or he is cut loose/walks at the end of next year as a RFA. Really depends how much he wants to be a positive contributing part of our team.

Great in-depth views from Jasonpm and pulpdriver. I'm kore succinct. I reckon C. Beams (injuries will catch up), Josh Clayton (2 yr contract was a head scratcher) and Jono Freeman (it's either next year or it's not, some signs but not enough). I still reckon Rocky will exercise his FA and will leave.

I think almost everyone will be playing for their careers (at lions at least) next season. New coach, new direction and everyone will be on a clean slate. No past tickets in the bank for Fagan I feel. I want to see who can rise to the top and those who fall.
100%.

I don't think Rock needs to perform he can do whatever he wants because he's OOC meaning if the club isn't performing how he wants it to he can just leave wouldn't blame him at all if he did leave
I don't think rockliff is in the position of power here. He needs to perform both on and off the field regardless of whether he wishes to stay or not as he received little to no serious interest from other clubs this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think rockliff is in the position of power here. He needs to perform both on and off the field regardless of whether he wishes to stay or not as he received little to no serious interest from other clubs this year.

Tom's trangressions must rate near the lower end of the scale compared to some others currently playing AFL, possibly exacerbated on these forums by an excess of PC.

He may not have garnered much interest as a trade this year, but as a FA next year I don't reckon he'll be short of suitors. Hopefully he and the club can sort out their differences in 2017.

Tom's trangressions must rate near the lower end of the scale compared to some others currently playing AFL, possibly exacerbated on these forums by an excess of PC.

He may not have garnered much interest as a trade this year, but as a FA next year I don't reckon he'll be short of suitors. Hopefully he and the club can sort out their differences in 2017.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Would seem strange to me then that a few clubs wouldn't have attempted to scoop him up this year relatively cheaply before he becomes a free agent and has more suitors after him at the end of 2017 that they would be competing with.

i hope Rocky has a great AA level year whichever way the club and him decide to go at the end of next season. if that happens i would like him to re sign mid season as Rocky in great form is a huge asset for the team, if the club decide to go down the re contract path that would mean Fagan and Noble would have been delighted with what he did on and off the field in 2017.

if he then decides to leave via FA he should get a contract that would ensure we get a high compensation pick.

Got confidence rocky will stay. He is primed for a big year either way. If he goes all australian it strengthens his bargaining power. So im backing him in to kill it this year. Which is what I'm most looking forward to.

If anybody was truly interested in him, they would of taken him this year when they could of guaranteed getting him, probably for a second rounder. And others saying "Rocky will stay", maybe the club dont want him to stay, he is only the list this year because he is contracted and we couldnt get him out.

17 clubs passed on him at a cut price and we probably would of chipped in for part of his salary. What does that say?

If you look back at history some FA deals are done the year prior. Next year will be interesting in regards to FA with Fyfe and Dusty on the market. I reckon some teams have cleared some salary cap space and if they miss out on there respective target then Rocky would be next in line. I reckon he and his manager would have sat down already and pointed out the need for a big year for Rocky on and off the field to increase his market value. This is not to say that the Lions won't put forward a contract or even match but when you don't have to use picks to get players then the $$$ value increases e.g. Vickery and Mayne

If you look back at history some FA deals are done the year prior. Next year will be interesting in regards to FA with Fyfe and Dusty on the market. I reckon some teams have cleared some salary cap space and if they miss out on there respective target then Rocky would be next in line. I reckon he and his manager would have sat down already and pointed out the need for a big year for Rocky on and off the field to increase his market value. This is not to say that the Lions won't put forward a contract or even match but when you don't have to use picks to get players then the $$$ value increases e.g. Vickery and Mayne
I agree either way he needs to put his head down and have a good year, as a team player.

what could happen-
1) Rocky has a great year and decides to exercise his FA rights.
2) *gets a big enough offer to get us a compensation pick after our first pick (anywhere between 2 and 6 probably) giving us 3 picks in the 1st round ie. ours, ports and FA compensation.

* the AFL decide before the end of next season that the highest possible FA compensation is an end of 1st round pick or they even wipe compensation altogether.

what could happen-
1) Rocky has a great year and decides to exercise his FA rights.
2) *gets a big enough offer to get us a compensation pick after our first pick (anywhere between 2 and 6 probably) giving us 3 picks in the 1st round ie. ours, ports and FA compensation.

* the AFL decide before the end of next season that the highest possible FA compensation is an end of 1st round pick or they even wipe compensation altogether.
This would be funny, except it is likely to be true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back