Opinion Who DON'T you want? - 2021 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Matty Roberts.

I voiced concerns about his ability to translate his game to the faster afl game long before he started sliding down boards. Screams Mitch grigg to me. I don’t think he has time to do that much in an afl midfield. He’s got good hands in close, but I see him as just hacking it blindly out of contests, or handballing it to another player also in the tight contest who then has to get rid of it and generally not being that dangerous. Can he have some impact outside of the midfield? Yes, but not worth a top 30 pick for what he offers there.

Even if I’m wrong, he’s still not a good fit for port.

We’ve got wines and drew locked into our midfield for years and a mid that’s slower than the both of them just isn’t a good fit.

I called ages ago he will be a draft day slider. Will go 20-50 imo.

Any midfielder after Horne-Francis. We just don't need any more, it's already going to be hard to fit in him, Cunnington, Simpkin, Davies-Uniacke, Powell, Phillips, Anderson, Thomas, Stephenson, Lazzaro, Scott, and whoever else gets centre bounce minutes. We really need to take at least one tall, preferably a key back, and a crumbing forward.

Sonsie is a player i hope we don't select, not saying he's a bad player, i rate him highly. Its more so i'd like us to pick up Goater, NWM, Amiss, Rachele, Sinn and we've got players too similar to Sonsie's qualities. He'll definitely be a ripper player for whoever drafts him, just feel there are more needed draft prospects around our selection.

Any midfielder after Horne-Francis. We just don't need any more, it's already going to be hard to fit in him, Cunnington, Simpkin, Davies-Uniacke, Powell, Phillips, Anderson, Thomas, Stephenson, Lazzaro, Scott, and whoever else gets centre bounce minutes. We really need to take at least one tall, preferably a key back, and a crumbing forward.

Agree with all of this. I really hope we don’t take another mid at pick 20 with what we already have and with other holes that need filling.

An attacking half back with good disposal would be another player type I would like on top of the types you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A midfielder.
Personally I'd take a midfielder over another half back (don't want either though). We have Crozier, Butler, Richards, Khamis and Scott who all played seniors this year but were outside our GF 22. With Wood retiring that's probably Crozier in, but there's still 4 players with enough upside that I'd hate to see another kid added to that group.

Personally I'd take a midfielder over another half back (don't want either though). We have Crozier, Butler, Richards, Khamis and Scott who all played seniors this year but were outside our GF 22. With Wood retiring that's probably Crozier in, but there's still 4 players with enough upside that I'd hate to see another kid added to that group.

I reckon we just draft forwards and defenders and rucks for the next 10 years really.

From an outsiders perspective you guys need a key defender and probably a ruck much more than another midfielder.

From an outsiders perspective you guys need a key defender and probably a ruck much more than another midfielder.
Yeah thankfully we got Darcy who could be any of KPF, KPD or Ruck. I'd like to see us target a genuine goal sneak (like Motlop) and a ruck later in the draft. Just no more mids/half backs...

but they need a ruckman like, tomorrow. you aren't going to get that with a raw 18 year old. if they draft a ruckman now, he's not going to be ready until a few of the stars are passing their prime or retiring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t want sam butler
Gut feel but looking at highlights doesn’t scream elite at anything. Looks to be okay at most things but think we have enough of those types at Richmond already

we’ve already lost his brother so hoping we don’t go down the same route again

Assuming we have a pick inside the top 6 when all the pick swapping and father son bid matching is said and done, I don’t want…

Hobbs - will clearly be a really good AFL player but he’s too similar to some of our existing mids. We need someone more explosive.

Rachele - too much of a reach this early - if we trade down the order I’d be stoked to take him in the early teens though. I would hope we target a full time mid at our first pick rather than someone who projects as predominantly a half forward anyway.

Gibcus - if we take a key defender I’ll vomit.

Andrew - if we take a project ruck / KPP I’ll vomit.

Ward - he’s a different type to Hobbs, but they’re similar in that they don’t suit our list profile IMO.

Give me one of Callaghan or Erasmus over all of the above. Of course, we may very well trade up to pick 2 which means Callaghan is the certain target. We may also end up trading down to Freo’s pick 6 (which will end up as pick 8) or Richmond’s pick 7 (9) which would likely see us take Erasmus, Goater or Rachele.

Josh Gibcus: Freo has enough defenders.

Ben Hobbs: Sounds like he won’t add the offensive spark Fremantle’s midfield needs.

Matt Johnson: Freo would probably be foregoing someone like Wanganeen-Milera if they pick him up. It would be really disappointing if they went for a local player for the sake of it.

Josh Gibcus: Freo has enough defenders.

Ben Hobbs: Sounds like he won’t add the offensive spark Fremantle’s midfield needs.

Matt Johnson: Freo would probably be foregoing someone like Wanganeen-Milera if they pick him up. It would be really disappointing if they went for a local player for the sake of it.

Matt Johnson is starting to make more sense to me as a Freo pick. Classy ball use and a big body are two traits that will be lacking in the Freo midfield with the loss of Cerra and Fyfe and Mundy getting towards the end.

Pity we have to still read it... :p

You don't have to, but you are subconsciously holding out hope that I will one day have something interesting to say.

I won't

Don't want Matthew Roberts. I think his lack of poise will be found out at the elite level. His trick is finding the ball as an inside mid but when the heat is on his lack of composure will be exposed.
Mitch Knevitt is another that I am not sure will make it. He just seems like a bit of a hacker with his disposal. He may be able to overcome this however through good development.
I do really like Mac Andrew and would take him as early as needs be.

North are building a very impressive midfield!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back