Analysis While the AFL pretend they don't have cash reserves, what can the Club do to bring revenue in during the shutdown?

Remove this Banner Ad

I would hypothetically suggest that Demetriou and his cronies have a lot to answer for the so called lack of cash reserves in the AFL pockets. The game was/the most profitable it has ever been during the reign of Vlad, so what happened, aside from sinking millions into starting up Gold Coast and The Giants
But still there should have been considerably more left in the kitty. What happened? 🤔🤔🤔

So, they could start an “investing club” with supporters. $10k buy in with high returns (50% plus) within 6 months. Tell as many people about it as you can as the more people that join the more money to be made. And then Those people can tell more people so that more people join. And then those people tell even more people so that even more people join. And it just keeps going and going and the club makes a lot of money just by word of mouth.

if that doesn’t work, they can come up with a product, and get supporters to pay a lump sum to sell the product. And then those supporters can sign up other people to sell the product who also get other people to sell the product etc etc.

both these are tried and tested ways of making huge cash. With the clubs large membership database it’s a no brainer really.
yep

I would hypothetically suggest that Demetriou and his cronies have a lot to answer for the so called lack of cash reserves in the AFL pockets. The game was/the most profitable it has ever been during the reign of Vlad, so what happened, aside from sinking millions into starting up Gold Coast and The Giants
But still there should have been considerably more left in the kitty. What happened? 🤔🤔🤔

The answer lies with the name in your first sentence.

;)

The expansion clubs are ambitious and premature far too aggressive, over saturation especially Suns whom were set up in an unresponsive environment.
The losses may be massive if the game does not resume in 2020.
Bean counters will be busy accounting situation but responsibility falls squarely on the top administrators.

Players will have to take severe pay cuts, some in the 70% range

Arrow do you know something that isnt out there at the moment? I would have thought that player contracts are just that and I would doubt that something like this was ever envisioned and therefore have provisions in them

Arrow do you know something that isnt out there at the moment? I would have thought that player contracts are just that and I would doubt that something like this was ever envisioned and therefore have provisions in them

Ultimately, it is the normal way of life, especially in the current climate. Players can't expect to be paid high six figure salaries for non events

having worked in the retail industry for years (well at least the it portion of it) I know that the issue here is not supply, its the number of outlets x the available space. Supermarkets are designed to store the bare minimum product that they might sell in a day. the answer is more storage and more outlets, we could help with this, hell Coles, Safeway might even rent space from us as local offsite storage.

I was thinking of using the MCG to house all of Melbournes Toilet Paper- call it the Sorbent Dome for the duration

The AFL just spent $25M last year or so, buying Marvel stadium, AFL 360 tonight i think said roughly the same figure was splashed on GC last year. You can see if thats the case, how reserves run dry pretty quick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forget about revenue, cut player wages by 20%-50% (Depending on circumstances). One-off sacrifice to save a club, many other employees would be prepared to do this.

The AFL just spent $25M last year or so, buying Marvel stadium, AFL 360 tonight i think said roughly the same figure was splashed on GC last year. You can see if thats the case, how reserves run dry pretty quick.
Makes sense they cost about the same amount.

One is an empty, soulless place that has few fans and costs a fortune to run, the other one is a stadium.

The AFL can prop up the clubs and stop trying to play on the heartstrings of supporters and the "woe is me" narrative. Everyone is hurting across the board and the first thing that happens when this all comes out was Eddie McGuire saying how much it was gonna hurt the league and clubs. Absolutely sickened me. First thoughts were with the club and league and how they couldn't get fans into the stadiums. Sick of this league living in a bubble thinking they are bigger than Ben Hur. Why is it when every other professional sport (besides NRL) had closed down do they wait until 24 hours prior to make a decision and even then make the call to play? And then after a week say it's the biggest problem in 100 years. Then why wasn't the decision made to stop? Took the States to make a decision that was out of their control before they shut down or they would have continued on. I wonder how much the AFL being shown in the US market without competition had to do with it. Why doesn't the AFL actually be the pillar for the community that it should be than play victim and help than asking for a handout. Nobody is making out good in this environment. Players get commensurated well and whilst I don't think jabbing them to solve the AFLs "financial woes" is the answer by reducing their salary this year im not going to be up at night worrying how they will make ends meet. If the players are over capitalised that is there concern. If anything this Coronavirus is showing the big end of town that they aren't insular from the world and can't do what they want and show some humility and eat humble pie like the vast majority has to do on the daily. Maybe we wouldn't then feel the need to have threads like this where we feel the need to help them instead of it being the other way around.

Last edited:
And the answer to "what can the Club do to bring revenue in during the shutdown?" is nothing.
Would be very few supporters not negatively affected during this crisis, reckon most will be hard pressed to keep their own heads above water without trying to bail out a multimillion dollar club.

And the answer to "what can the Club do to bring revenue in during the shutdown?" is nothing.

Nothing? So the club should roll over and die to appease disgruntled members of the public? The club is a business and like any business right now, needs to find ways to keep revenue coming in.

this doesn’t necessarily mean, you or I need to bail them out or begging people with no money to tip in.

Nothing? So the club should roll over and die to appease disgruntled members of the public? The club is a business and like any business right now, needs to find ways to keep revenue coming in.

this doesn’t necessarily mean, you or I need to bail them out or begging people with no money to tip in.

While trying to find new streams of revenue is important, cutting hard is the number one priority at the moment

Unfortunately 80% of staff will need to retrench and or stood down

As for the players, what a pack of selfish premerdonnas. Paul Marsh, FMD

While trying to find new streams of revenue is important, cutting hard is the number one priority at the moment

Unfortunately 80% of staff will need to retrench and or stood down

As for the players, what a pack of selfish premerdonnas. Paul Marsh, FMD

What’s the latest on the players? Were you expecting more than the 50%

Cuts are unfortunate, was purely responding to what seemed like a criticism of the club or the thread for trying to find new revenue streams during this time.

What’s the latest on the players? Were you expecting more than the 50%

Cuts are unfortunate, was purely responding to what seemed like a criticism of the club or the thread for trying to find new revenue streams during this time.

Players have already received salaries for 5-6 months, in full. They only want accept 50% reduction for April and May, which for me isn't enough and is unacceptable in the current climate

Average contract is nearly $400K a year, so $200 is excess. I think a prorated rate of a $100 is more than enough while training on your own

Personally, all player contracts should be capped at $300K, if the season resumes, given no crowds are in attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back