Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of the Crows’ younger players looking pretty promising today.

We can comfortably say it’s at least not North.
Soligo, Worrell & Michaelanny have all had decent year so far... & were all good again today.

Roos have some serious young talent on their list, but lack quality experienced players to lead the way.

How the heck can McDonald be captain?

Wardlaw looked potato like in the first half. Really turned it around in the second half though.

I like that from a young kid. Will be some inconsistencies throughout the game let alone week to week but took his medicine and backed himself to improve on the footy field.

Phillips though. Wow. Can't get anywhere near it. That 2020 draft class is poo.

Jake Soligo is a star!! Putting up elite numbers the last 5 week’s. He’s been the best young talent from all 3 team’s this season. If Curtin ends up in the midfield with Soligo and Dawson that will be a seriously good starting midfield in a few years.

The crows are also building a quality backline

Michalanney and Worrell are turning into an elite combo & both still young.

Crows are miles ahead of us and north Melbourne.

Jake Soligo is a star!! Putting up elite numbers the last 5 week’s. He’s been the best young talent from all 3 team’s this season. If Curtin ends up in the midfield with Soligo and Dawson that will be a seriously good starting midfield in a few years.

With Smith out we looked to give Michalanny the ball more and use his skills. Lot of people suggest we rely on Smith but he’s honestly holding us back.

With Smith out we looked to give Michalanny the ball more and use his skills. Lot of people suggest we rely on Smith but he’s honestly holding us back.

Building a quality backline and all young!

Murray23
Hamill23
Worrell22
Borlase21
Nankervis20
Michalanney20
Curtin 19

Hinge is only 25 with Butts and Keane 24. I’d take just about everyone of those guys at the hawks.

Brad you’re so right yet so wrong.

They’re not miles ahead, that’s a purely subjective opinion which you’re presenting factually.

Michalanney is going to be a very good defender able to play offensively and defensively. Worrell will be good too, although won’t nearly be as good as Michalanney

Curtin is extremely talented and excited for him to grow, looks much better around the ball rather than behind it.

Soligo has been super, he’s going to be a good midfielder. His cleanliness and one touch ability is crucial, very creative by hand, and a good user by foot. Want to see him grow some more, he is going to be good to watch. Not sure you can rule out Rachele from the starting 3. He would be key as apart of their pace through the middle.

Murray23
Hamill23
Worrell22
Borlase21
Nankervis20
Michalanney20
Curtin 19

Hinge is only 25 with Butts and Keane 24. I’d take just about everyone of those guys at the hawks.
Impressive group of youth, not sure on Borlase. Hamill either. Murray 100% key defender would be superb at Hawthorn, as would Michalanney. Curtin more of a midfielder in my eyes and solid signs from Keane, Worrell & Nankervis.

Impressive group of youth, not sure on Borlase. Hamill either. Murray 100% key defender would be superb at Hawthorn, as would Michalanney. Curtin more of a midfielder in my eyes and solid signs from Keane, Worrell & Nankervis.
Been saying all year our young backline isn't the issue. Ironic our worst defender all year is the most experienced Smith. Will be stronger when Murray returns soon.

I wonder if a certain Hawks moderator who argued with me at adnauseam over the quality of Soligo has now finally come to the realisation that I was 100% right.

Borlase is nothing more than solid depth. Far too slow and not agile enough to be a regular best 22 player. Hamill is probably one concussion away from having to give it away and butchers it a bit.

Keane
Murray
Worrell
Michalanny
Hinge

That’s the core, Nankervis has shown some decent signs but still not sold on him yet. Butts is solid but I think Keane has gone past him and Murray is our number one guy as long as he hasn’t lost too much of his athleticism. A really good small one on one defender could also be handy to free up Michalanny to be more offensive as he’s a really good user.

Would be great if Curtin ends up on the ball but we’ll see how that goes. Looked like he was taking a while to get used to the pace of AFL tonight but didn’t do anything wrong.

Murray23
Hamill23
Worrell22
Borlase21
Nankervis20
Michalanney20
Curtin 19

Michalanney, Murray, Worrell, Hinge and Keane are all going to be key parts of our defence for the next 5-10 years. Very exciting group

Curtin the wildcard, you want the ball in his hands so whether that’s as a HBF or further up the ground, we’ll see

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been saying all year our young backline isn't the issue. Ironic our worst defender all year is the most experienced Smith. Will be stronger when Murray returns soon.

I wonder if a certain Hawks moderator who argued with me at adnauseam over the quality of Soligo has now finally come to the realisation that I was 100% right.
I’m super excited for Murray, I’ve loved his contest work. He’s just so smart at reading the play and properly killing the contest. Rarely loses one on one. Which is gold as a KPD. Makes the job for Michalanney as the third tall much easier to back the structure.

Smith still provided good leadership and in games this year will be required, but you’re almost past his presence required. Similarly with Hawthorns structure forward and Gunston/Breust slowly becoming phased out.

Soligo never showed much as an outside player but his talents 100% make him a good midfield option. He’s just super clean and I wouldn’t say the quickest but quick enough to where when he’s clean he has metres on his opponent. Super creative by hand and I wanna see his body develop because he looks a Lachie Neale type midfielder.

Borlase is nothing more than solid depth. Far too slow and not agile enough to be a regular best 22 player. Hamill is probably one concussion away from having to give it away and butchers it a bit.

Keane
Murray
Worrell
Michalanny
Hinge

That’s the core, Nankervis has shown some decent signs but still not sold on him yet. Butts is solid but I think Keane has gone past him and Murray is our number one guy as long as he hasn’t lost too much of his athleticism. A really good small one on one defender could also be handy to free up Michalanny to be more offensive as he’s a really good user.

Would be great if Curtin ends up on the ball but we’ll see how that goes. Looked like he was taking a while to get used to the pace of AFL tonight but didn’t do anything wrong.
Borlase just seemed like a lump of wood haha, he seemed okay but not fit for AFL. Hamill showed signs early but concussion has been an issue, and his role was what Michalanney is playing, which he doesn’t do nearly as well.

The thing I see missing is maybe genuine leg speed and just someone who is your “playmaker” Michalanney is super and can do both but I think you’re one more away with that aswell. But definitely sold on key position depth and talent.

Keane looked great tonight which is ability to read the play, Murray is gonna be a rock at FB. You get Worrell taking third talls and Butts as depth, who I don’t rate as highly seems Kyle Hartigan territory..

Hinge solid, Michalanney will be a gun, but it’s building the structures and that’s been done pretty damn well.

Nankervis shown signs but too earlier, super tough player tho which gives me slight confidence he’ll make it.

And I agree but Michalanney is so good at both you could almost go the other way and back him to be good enough to do both. Bringing in a super creative fast ball user.

Curtin just seems a little lost behind play from what I saw. He seems more reactive whereas around the ball he seemed more proactive and able to get the ball on the move. Superb kick so keen to see his development.

Are we going to do this stupid dance where you pretend that I said anything other than Soligo had done nothing as yet to prove he will be an elite mid, because despite his good form this year it doesn’t change what he did last year.

Are we going to do this stupid dance where you pretend that I said anything other than Soligo had done nothing as yet to prove he will be an elite mid, because despite his good form this year it doesn’t change what he did last year.

Because in a thread designed to discuss potential you kept dismissing him on the basis of what he was doing at the time.

So yeah, when proven right it’s hard not to be a little smug.

Because in a thread designed to discuss potential you kept dismissing him on the basis of what he was doing at the time.

So yeah, when proven right it’s hard not to be a little smug.
It's only OK to talk up the potential of young Hawks players but according to guru sylami the Crows have no potential talented midfielders.... the same guru who is then found out to have rarely even watched the Crows.

I maintain Soligo will be a very good long term midfielder for us despite what the guru thinks.

So by that theory Watson will never be an elite small forward?

Glad Soligo is starting to break out as a player.

From the little I saw of Soligo last year, to which was only a little I'm not a fanatic that watches every game. I like the look of him, when he had the footy or was near the footy he was composed, covered the ground well and was tough. I remember him getting broken in half by a Nash tackle and popping back up like nothing happened.

I remember being more critical of Pedlar, without a tank your just not going to be able to impact enough contests to live up to your potential.

Last edited:
It's only OK to talk up the potential of young Hawks players but according to guru sylami the Crows have no potential talented midfielders.... the same guru who is then found out to have rarely even watched the Crows.

I maintain Soligo will be a very good long term midfielder for us despite what the guru thinks.
What a load. Like I said last year if any Hawk supporter claimed MacDonald or Ward were going to be elite while average 15 disposals a game they’d have been laughed at.

Not interested in your boomer takes, or goal post shifting.

Think Crows still need to either trade in another A grade mid or draft someone who has the scope to be one.

I like Soligo alot but he's not the guy who will break open games for you, he's the guy who is going to feed the bloke who will. Maybe Rankine can be that guy if he can become a full time mid.

If they can find that player (easier said than done) and a replacement for Tex then they are set.

Think Crows still need to either trade in another A grade mid or draft someone who has the scope to be one.

I like Soligo alot but he's not the guy who will break open games for you, he's the guy who is going to feed the bloke who will. Maybe Rankine can be that guy if he can become a full time mid.

If they can find that player (easier said than done) and a replacement for Tex then they are set.

Rankine will spend more time in there..he’s been starting each game in there recently with Dawson forward.

An eventual midfield trio of dawson, Soligo and rankine with laird as a rotation would be seriously good…Dan Curtin will end up in there as well. That’s a seriously good mix..if they can get one more coupled with the backline they are building, the crows will be pushing for top 4 in two years time.

They’ve also got Tyler welsh to come in as a father/son..will be a quality forward. Tex retiring will also help Darcy Fogarty.

The Crows are definitely on the right track.

Rankine will spend more time in there..he’s been starting each game in there recently with Dawson forward.

An eventual midfield trio of dawson, Soligo and rankine with laird as a rotation would be seriously good…Dan Curtin will end up in there as well. That’s a seriously good mix..if they can get one more coupled with the backline they are building, the crows will be pushing for top 4 in two years time.

They’ve also got Tyler welsh to come in as a father/son..will be a quality forward. Tex retiring will also help Darcy Fogarty.

The Crows are definitely on the right track.

I don't really see how Tex retiring is going to help Fogarty.

He's struggling to beat the 2nd defender as it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back