Which side is closer to a premiership - Carlton or Essendon?

Which club is closer to a flag - Carlton or Essendon?

• Carlton

Votes: 153 47.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 75 23.4%
  • Neither in next 10 ywars

Votes: 92 28.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m most interested in discovering whether Harry and Ben are really the same person.
That's an interesting one, how they will avoid playing in the same game this time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, they need to prove they can win a final first.
Unlike previous years where we played soft and uncontested football, our brand of pressure football is perfect for finals so this is the best chance we've had in 20 years. I finally like our midfield mix and clearance game, but our foot skills are still not good enough for the contenders so maybe not this year.

People were calling Carlton the real deal after beating the Giants at Docklands.
Essendon beat the Giants at Docklands and they get discredited for it.
They beat GWS without Coniglio and Sam Taylor. We beat a near full strength GWS.

Let's not knee jerk any reactions.
Pies finished top 4 in 2022 with a low percentage of 104.3%.
Bombers aren't anywhere near what the Pies were in 2022.

Obviously this won't be their percentage at the end of the year and anything can happen between now and then.
GWS are a good scalp, but their other wins have been bottom sides in Hawks and Eagles, then inconsistent sides like Dogs, Saints and Crows and a draw.
They got thumped by Port and Swans.
Jury is still out.
Carlton beat GWS without Coniglio and Taylor by 19.
Essendon beat them near full-strength by 20.

Carlton lost to Adelaide at home. Essendon beat Adelaide away the next week.

Essendon drew to Collingwood and smashed their midfield. Carlton lost to Collingwood the next week.

And we weren't really smashed by Sydney. In fact, we smashed their midfield, but they are obviously premiership contenders for a reason. We are also a better team now than we were in the first couple of rounds.

I agree that we have a long way to go given what happened last year, but let's be honest. Carlton and Essendon have been pretty even based on form this year.

It's still Carlton. Their window is now and they have a mature side compared to Essendon.
Essendon are close. They are going very , very well. Keep Draper away from 1st ruck coz Goldy just gives the midfield a lot better service in my opinion . Plus throw in McKay and the missing pieces are eradicated. They've ticked a lot of boxes.

Let's not knee jerk any reactions.
Pies finished top 4 in 2022 with a low percentage of 104.3%.
Bombers aren't anywhere near what the Pies were in 2022.

Obviously this won't be their percentage at the end of the year and anything can happen between now and then.
GWS are a good scalp, but their other wins have been bottom sides in Hawks and Eagles, then inconsistent sides like Dogs, Saints and Crows and a draw.
They got thumped by Port and Swans.
Jury is still out.

i don't disagree with the general message but thumped by Swans?

what?

we lost 101-131.............

It's still Carlton. Their window is now and they have a mature side compared to Essendon.
Carlton have too many injuries. The replacements fill barely manage to fill holes on a weekly basis. We have players who spend half a season not playing due to hamstring tightness. A lot of questions need to be asked about the amount of injuries we continue to have had for the past 3 seasons and until that list is minimised, the window simply isn't there

Do you ever post about your own club?

How’d your Thursday night prediction go? Cats only 4 points ahead of blues, fairly embarrassing.

Yep, had a feeling it would be a close game and tipped Cats to just to get it done in the last quarter. We in a form slump right now but again, back to Essendon v Carlton.

Someone said who stops McKay, I don't know how many times I've now had to say it but McKay is not the player teams will fret about during the week. In fact, you will see they are happy to let him get his just as long as Curnow is taken out of the game. McKay is not a match winner.

I think this is a bit of a fallacy. Carlton aren't that much older than the Bombers and some weeks, the team that plays is younger than Essendon's.

This may shock many, but for the majority of this season, Essendon's 23 have been in the oldest half of the league. They've been older than all of their opponents bar the Pies and the Bulldogs.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think this is a bit of a fallacy. Carlton aren't that much older than the Bombers and some weeks, the team that plays is younger than Essendon's.

This may shock many, but for the majority of this season, Essendon's 23 have been in the oldest half of the league. They've been older than all of their opponents bar the Pies and the Bulldogs.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Significantly skewed by a geriatric ruckman no doubt

Carlton easily. We're still yet to play Geelong, Melbourne and Carlton. That will show we're probably in the 8-5th zone (assuming we don't fade out again like every year)
I wouldn't say easily. Essendon are pretty good at the moment and we are not playing great. I think it'll be a good game when we play. I'm certainly not confident going into a game against Essendon at the moment. Brad Scott has got you guys playing much tougher footy.

Back