Which AFL teams do Fitzroy fans support?

Remove this Banner Ad

* THERE

I agree, I had the same convo the other day with someone. If the Fitzroy footy club relocated to Brisbane in 1987 they would have still been the "Brisbane Lions" but at least the FFC tradition, history and colours would have been kept... not to mention the 8 VFL premiership they had won could have been counted against the "Brisbane Lions"
Fitzroy were better off just folding or withdrawing from the AFL at the end of 96 instead of the false merger which was juts a renaming of the Brisbane Beats to the Brisbane Lions.

Like i said with the example of Sydney they still continue the great South Melbourne tradition, have fantastic and great support every time their in Melbourne. Would of been the exact same if they had just moved up their in 87 instead of incurring the painful terrible demise of their club. they need to take responsibility instead of blaming the AFL for everything that occurred.

The colours Adelaide wear are the state colours red, blue and yellow seen in state games,

Also Fitzroy colours.

the crow represents what were named after, the crow eaters, your club has nothing in connection with us and it never would of worked,

But you advocate a merger or relocation to Brisbane under virtually the same conditions? So what did Brisbane have in connection with Fitzroy before 1996? Or before 1986? Why can't you change your logo?

we have a fantastic support in Melbourne, seen myself with games played in Victoria.

It would have been even better in a merger with Fitzroy. Adelaide had 1,300 Victorian members in 2007 and were hoping to get that to 2,000 by 2009. Not sure what it was in 2016, but unlikely to be much higher. Brisbane have 4,000 Victorian members - 3,200 in 1997 and has been as high as 7,000.

i still stand by my statement you should of moved up north in 86,

So move north to Brisbane - over 1,600 km away, but not move to Adelaide 730 km away less than half the distance? Far easier for both Adelaide and Fitzroy supporters to visit Adelaide and Melbourne.

11 teams in Melbourne was never going to be sustainable 10 even now is still to many, your attendances from 87-96 was the worst in Victoria by a fare margin and barley that much better than Sydney and Brisbane at the time.

So that's why Fitzroy sought mergers with Melbourne (Melbourne Lions - 1986, 1994), Footscray (Fitzroy Bulldogs - 1989) and North Melbourne (North Fitzroy Kangaroos - 1996). They wanted their supporters to be able to watch football in Melbourne with some vestige of Fitzroy in that new club.

Last edited:

Fitzroy were better off .......... withdrawing from the AFL at the end of 96

They did do this. Fitzroy Football Club (formed 1883) still exist in their own right in Melbourne, playing at their traditional home ground at the Brunswick Street Oval in the traditional Fitzroy jumper.

instead of the false merger which was juts a renaming of the Brisbane Beats to the Brisbane Lions.

A re-branding.

Like i said with the example of Sydney they still continue the great South Melbourne tradition, have fantastic and great support every time their in Melbourne.

Five-six times a year.

Would of been the exact same if they had just moved up their in 87 instead of incurring the painful terrible demise of their club.

I'll be watching the Fitzroy Football Club In Melbourne at least 18 times this coming football season at their traditional home ground.

they need to take responsibility instead of blaming the AFL for everything that occurred.

Fitzroy could have been retained in the AFL had there been the will by the AFL to do so. Same as there was a will by the AFL to retain Footscray, North and Melbourne in the 2000's by gifting them millions of dollars from AFL funds. Millions of dollars that didn't have to be paid back by those clubs. And don't try and claim that the AFL had no money in the 1990's to do that. The AFL had $12 million to pay clubs who were going to merge, but couldn't help Fitzroy with $1 million.

The NRL went through a massive overhaul in the mid 90s where a handful of NSW teams merged and a couple left the league.
The AFL should have done the same.. 4 VIC teams should have become 2. Then should have paved way for 2 more interstate club.. Port being one and a Tassie side back then.

The NRL went through a massive overhaul in the mid 90s where a handful of NSW teams merged and a couple left the league.
The AFL should have done the same.. 4 VIC teams should have become 2. Then should have paved way for 2 more interstate club.. Port being one and a Tassie side back then.

The VFL was trying to steer a middle course between expanding into a national competition and not alienating large sections of its heartland, through mergers or expulsions. It's strength was built n the foundations of traditionalism and tribalism and it needed to be careful not to dilute that too much. Fitzroy recognised fairly early on that it needed to possibly merge. t

That's why Fitzroy sought mergers with Victorian clubs such as:
  • Melbourne (Melbourne Lions - 1986, 1994). Called off both times by Melbourne on the verge of a public announcement - especially in 1986
  • Footscray (Fitzroy Bulldogs - 1989). Ended by a massive fundraising effort by Dogs supporters. (The proposal should have been the Footscray Lions playing out of the Western Oval, instead of the Fitzroy Bulldogs playing at Princes Park.
  • North Melbourne (North Fitzroy Kangaroos - 1996). Foiled by the AFL whose preference was boosting the Brisbane Bears with $6 million and players.
Fitzroy wanted their supporters to be able to watch football in Melbourne with some vestige of Fitzroy in that new club. In the end, to do that, the Club exited the AFL competition.

The VFL was trying to steer a middle course between expanding into a national competition and not alienating large sections of its heartland, through mergers or expulsions. It's strength was built n the foundations of traditionalism and tribalism and it needed to be careful not to dilute that too much. Fitzroy recognised fairly early on that it needed to possibly merge. t

That's why Fitzroy sought mergers with Victorian clubs such as:
  • Melbourne (Melbourne Lions - 1986, 1994). Called off both times by Melbourne on the verge of a public announcement - especially in 1986
  • Footscray (Fitzroy Bulldogs - 1989). Ended by a massive fundraising effort by Dogs supporters. (The proposal should have been the Footscray Lions playing out of the Western Oval, instead of the Fitzroy Bulldogs playing at Princes Park.
  • North Melbourne (North Fitzroy Kangaroos - 1996). Foiled by the AFL whose preference was boosting the Brisbane Bears with $6 million and players.
Fitzroy wanted their supporters to be able to watch football in Melbourne with some vestige of Fitzroy in that new club. In the end, to do that, the Club exited the AFL competition.
Im sure if Fitzroy had their time again they would have headed up North in 1986..

or what you said.. "The proposal should have been the Footscray Lions playing out of the Western Oval, instead of the Fitzroy Bulldogs playing at Princes Park."

Im sure if Fitzroy had their time again they would have headed up North in 1986..

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

And I'm not so sure anyway. Fitzroy's preference was to remain in Melbourne, so their supporters could actually watch their team, instead of just five-six games a year. Hence they favored a merger if their name and colors coud have been retained somehow. That's why they pursued a merger with Melbourne where that might have been achieved.

or what you said.. "The proposal should have been the Footscray Lions playing out of the Western Oval, instead of the Fitzroy Bulldogs playing at Princes Park."

From my point of view the "Melbourne Football Club - Fitzroy Football Club Ltd." trading as the 'Melbourne Lions' would have been better.

You following the girls by any chance, the lions look like a strong team in the women's comp?
I do mate! Great effort to make the Grand Final last year, and should be a fairly solid outfit this season! Can't wait for the fixtures to come out ... I'm banking on their being three divisions. Still a shame the previous comp had to go, though :(

Would have been interesting to see how the Footscray Lions would have evolved remembering the Dogs' rebranded as the Western Bulldogs and moved to Princes Park in 1997 and then became an anchor tenant at Docklands in 2000. Facilities wise the Western Oval was finished as an AFL venue in 1997, as much as I loved it.

Would have been interesting to see how the Footscray Lions would have evolved remembering the Dogs' rebranded as the Western Bulldogs and moved to Princes Park in 1997 and then became an anchor tenant at Docklands in 2000. Facilities wise the Western Oval was finished as an AFL venue in 1997, as much as I loved it.

Possibly would have been now called the "Western Lions". I would say the Footscray (or Western) Lions would have worn the "FFC jumper" still, with maybe white horizontal stripes instead of gold and a gold FFC logo, now representing the "Footscray - Fitzroy Football Club".

Fitzroy-Bulldogs.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just curious. As Fitzroy supporters did you ever think of following/supporting one of the new AFL teams in Gold Coast or GWS. As I read before when you were removed from the comp, many fans didn't go and support another team as they had learnt to hate them in a sense. Be interesting if you ever thought of barracking for someone else, especially the expansion teams

Just curious. As Fitzroy supporters did you ever think of following/supporting one of the new AFL teams in Gold Coast or GWS. As I read before when you were removed from the comp, many fans didn't go and support another team as they had learnt to hate them in a sense. Be interesting if you ever thought of barracking for someone else, especially the expansion teams

I know of a couple who have, but generally there was such a gap in time (1996-2011) and geography that most (as far as I know) did not.

The very great majority support the Lions,only Noel Gordon 's hopeless handling of the Fitzroy people stopped almost total support.A t one stage there were 7,000 signed up in Melbourne, and the 4000 now could easily double given the list that is evolving, and has so many potential stars.Watching B grade amateurs is fun ,but its hardly Gar3Wilson,Paul Roos and Micky Conlan

The very great majority support the Lions,only Noel Gordon 's hopeless handling of the Fitzroy people stopped almost total support.A t one stage there were 7,000 signed up in Melbourne, and the 4000 now could easily double given the list that is evolving, and has so many potential stars.Watching B grade amateurs is fun ,but its hardly Gar3Wilson,Paul Roos and Micky Conlan

I have said previously, my number one allegiance is to Fitzroy. It always has been. Following Brisbane also, but not with the same passion. Found this a while back in some of my papers.
IMG_5991.JPG
As hard as they try and as much as I am a supporter of the Brisbane Lions, they can never come close to the love and attachment I will always have for Fitzroy. This is what keeps me going to the VAFA to watch them most weeks. They are my club.

Sorry to be OT but I think it would be fantastic to see Fitzroy back in the VFL.
The VFL (with old VFA sides) are going back to the future with more AFL sides having stand alone representation.
The AFL's divide (then combine) and conquer of the old VFA/VFL hasn't worked and I can see some point in the not too distant future, a renewed exciting competition that should include Fitzroy.
And by that I mean the Fitzroy Lions.

If it wasn't for north being so powerful at the time who ended up winning 2 premierships in the late 90's, it probably would of come to fruition, people were scared that it would of created a super team thus 13-1 vote against the merger occurred. Yes the AFL was offering money to merge, but even if Fitzroy would of been saved, they would of continued to hemerge money and it probably would of just delayed the inevitable, the fact 11 teams in Victoria is far to many. i still think that Fitzroy supporters could of done more in their last season to help save the club from what unfortunately occurred.

You have less than any idea mate and you have proved it comprehensively here. Read what Roylion has written and try to get a grip on the facts. Better still go away and don't return.

And you may ask why I am so late here to this thread? It is because I hate being reminded of the dreadful events of 1996. And on the rare occasions when I do come here and see rubbish from people like you, it makes it even worse. As I said go away and don't return. You have no right to an opinion here.

Yes. I follow the Suns.

I use to follow Fitzroy but when they left the competition I could not follow an interstate side and felt the Brisbane-Fitzroy merger was a take over. I still wanted to follow footy so I chose Collingwood not only because of my mum and grandmother but because they are a big club that I know will never fold

Remove this Banner Ad

Back