Opinion Where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

2-14 for 3qtrs of football is below shocking.
Even if we only go at 50% 8-8 we still win that game.
And night games at Adelaide oval have always been a nightmare, ask for day games forget about the crowd numbers winning is more important.
Yeah get rid of Ken 100% but start drafting forwards that can kick a footy straight.
Only one I’ve seen who looks like he’s going to kick a goal is Lord, the rest struggle.

5FDfOtafB4Gnwr9dBm.webp

I hope my post doesn’t read as if I’d been on board with Ken until recently. I just hadn’t quite evolved to the level of apathy that I’m at now. I could still get pissed off about how we played until a few weeks ago. Even going back a year I wouldn’t have been able to fathom being so unfazed by a showdown loss in that fashion, but they’ve managed to destroy my love for something that was previously so integral to the fabric of my personality.
It’s making me question whether it’s been a mistake to dedicate my life to football. Should I have even decided football journalism was my ideal career path? Do I still even like the sport I once adored? Was it a mistake to go to uni with the sole purpose of becoming a sports journalist? I don’t even know I should stick around and wait for the good times. Could I even enjoy those good times if they came around? Lots of questions swirling around my head and I feel like I’m at a crossroads in my life, that might sound dramatic but that’s how much this used to mean to me.

this is exactly what david koch wants, pesky passionate port men being replaced by overweight happy clappers

A few weeks ago Ollie Wines said something about the gameplan and that's what we are instructed to do.

Get the feeling the players are full aware the coaching tactics are subpar, for Ollie to say that publicly, as he is usually towing the team line big time.

Expecting he will be up for trade at the end of the year.

Will this lead to a change of tactics, less high forward press, better delivery into 50 and open forwardlines.

Port are one of the better teams in transition from defence yet it is rarely given the chance to play this way due to the high forward press, which is only really useful when leading or to slow the opposition's momentum and try to pinch a goal. Make the opposition burn themselves out flooding back and forth while the midfielder and defenders zone the midfield, even your chf should be in the centre square/wings when the ball is down inside 50 for any meaningful time.

Defensive and forward structure needs tweaking against the scragger and well drilled teams.

Or just get a new coach if this one sticks to the same old gameplan.

Players and the skills are there, the coaching and gameplans are not.

I'm not here to argue but picking and choosing what stat's to highlight isn't the point of this post, even the ken lovers could pick certain statistics to say why he is the man for the job. Below average, average or above average it does not matter. He's had his time as our coach and needs to be moved on
Show us some good stats, Pick and choose all you want Ken’s a dud

A few weeks ago Ollie Wines said something about the gameplan and that's what we are instructed to do.

Get the feeling the players are full aware the coaching tactics are subpar, for Ollie to say that publicly, as he is usually towing the team line big time.

Will this lead to a change of tactics, less high forward press, better delivery into 50 and open forwardlines.

Port are one of the better teams in transition from defence yet it is rarely given the chance to play this way due to the high forward press, which is only really useful when leading or to slow the opposition's momentum and try to pinch a goal. Make the opposition burn themselves out flooding back and forth while the midfielder and defenders zone the midfield, even your chf should be in the centre square/wings when the ball is down inside 50 for any meaningful time.

Defensive and forward structure needs tweaking against the scragger and well drilled teams.

Perhaps the forwards will now be able to lead for a change.

Port forwards are instructed not to lead when they bang the ball forward.
Where the forward line is clogged up and you must mark the ball else a turnover or mad scramble to get shot on goal.

The effort of the players suggests that they are sick of fighting with Hinkley holding one hand behind their back.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Notice how Rioli runs to the pocket, drawing the extra crows defender there, then cuts inside for the lead. Great use of making space.

Then watch the Dixon mark where his opponent is first to the ball, marking over the head of another Port player aswell. Crumbers at foot of contest, likely goal anyway.

Todd's mark/free. Nice lead, but the crumbers/small forwards are already 5 metres past the contest, DBJ, Looking for the bomb it to Dixon but he is already defensive side of his opponent. Good choice to go short.

JHF mark over 3 crows players. Farrell with long kick to a 3 on 1 with JHF goalside, risky but came off, unlikely scoring opportunity. Short less risky option is Burgoyne about 35 out to the right all by himself as his opponent has gone deep goalside.

Simple thing is make your opponent accountable and exploit it when they are not. Extra man back in defense, drift towards them then lead into the space or use their man as a short option.

Onfield leadership and voice, but the awareness of these situations and decision making needs to be coached into the team so they are more aware of these situations during quarters.

Why Port crumble under pressure and revert to bomb it to Dixon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back