List Mgmt. Where are they now? (ex suns)

Remove this Banner Ad

As has been pointed out on our board already, Andrew McQualter was officially confirmed today as the first former Sun to take the head coaching role at an AFL club, albeit the interim coaching role at Richmond. In a bizarre twist of fate, 'Mini' will now coach his former Suns teammates Tom Lynch and Dion Prestia as well as some gigantic names like Dusty Martin, Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt. Well done Mini and go well in your head coaching stint. For the historians out there, here he is in the red and gold with teenager teammates Lynch and Bennell back in 2012.

AZMWzlO.jpg

Need to get myself in a media outlet so I can release Marc Lock redemption articles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone think Saad was much quicker/ agile in his first season, than he has been at Carlton?

I had never seen any player with the evasion he had at the time, but I haven't really seemed to notice it after he moved to Essendon/ Carlton.

We're definitely living rent-free in Rankine's head. He's the leading possession getter (10) and should already have 3 goals at quarter time in this game. For context, he had 13 disposals and 0 goals last week against us. I'm guessing Izak still feels some guilt over the way he left us and it really threw him off last week.

Harley Bennell @ Wodonga

Nick Malceski ran out for the Broadbeach ressies yesterday against Noosa. Kicked a lazy 4 goals.

Nick Malceski ran out for the Broadbeach ressies yesterday against Noosa. Kicked a lazy 4 goals.
Funnily enough, his son Harrison also played for the Broadbeach U10s side this weekend. Would've thought that was a pretty rare occurrence to have a former AFL player and his son both playing for the same club on the same weekend.

Kai Rischitelli also played in that team for those who are keeping an eye on our future potential father-sons.

Asked what the differences were between the Suns and Magpies, Markov said it was a simple.

“I think within the four walls I’m valued … feeling valued and feeling wanted, that is an incredible feeling.”

The dashing defender was unwanted by the Suns at the end of last year and he was ready to shut the door on his AFL career, until McRae – a former mentor at Richmond – picked up the phone.

“He’s just a great character,” the Collingwood coach said of Markov.

“The boys love him, he fits in really well.

“We had a need, we wanted someone like Oleg to come in and play a role for us and he’s done that extremely well.

“(Saturday) was the best game he’s played for our club and we wanted to make sure that playing against his old club that we supported him and made sure he really felt at home.”
Less than 10 months ago, Markov was calling QAFL clubs and contemplating life as a full-time support worker.

Now he’s a rusted-on starter for the premiership favourites.

And he owes it all to the man they call ‘Fly’.

“It’s funny how Fly (McRae) works. The way he wraps his arms around you, he almost acts like a bit of a safety net,” Markov said.

“He just keeps reinforcing my strengths. He’s all about role.

“I’m not the one who’s going to get 30 touches – I’ll leave that to Nick Daicos, John Noble and that – I’ve got my own role within the four walls and I’m praised on my role and it isn’t about touches.”
“My mentality throughout my day-to-day is that I’m not given anything,” Markov said.

“Regardless of what game I played on the weekend, I go into Tuesday knowing I have to train really well, put my hand up and show Fly how keen and eager I am and give him a bit of a (selection) headache.

“I’m just trying to better myself every day and not get complacent or comfortable.”

Markov admitted to “mixed emotions” on his Gold Coast return but he harbours no ill-will toward his former club.

“It’s a shame we couldn’t work things out with the Gold Coast – I wish all those boys the best, and I feel like their best footy is ahead of them,” he said.

“I really do hope they make finals and that’s an outcome for them.

“To be honest I have (missed Gold Coast living). I love the sun, I love how it gets up early … but it’s not going anywhere.

“My partner is from the Gold Coast, so I can imagine once footy is finished – whether that be next year, in two years, five years or maybe 10 who knows – I’m sure we’ll finish up here.”

So similar to what Markov was saying when we were regularly selecting him in our AFL side in 2021 (see below). At least he's being honest about missing the lifestyle on the Gold Coast and plans to move back here when his AFL career comes to an end. IIRC he was close to signing for Broadbeach in the QAFL so I suspect he'll be playing for Broady in the next few years when his Collingwood career comes to an end.

"I feel I'm important and I feel like Dewy (coach Stuart Dew) wants me here.

"It is refreshing and it gives you a bit more confidence to play.

"I just wanted to be playing at the highest level I can, and coming into an environment like this has given me that opportunity. I'm very blessed and grateful for that."

So similar to what Markov was saying when we were regularly selecting him in our AFL side in 2021 (see below). At least he's being honest about missing the lifestyle on the Gold Coast and plans to move back here when his AFL career comes to an end. IIRC he was close to signing for Broadbeach in the QAFL so I suspect he'll be playing for Broady in the next few years when his Collingwood career comes to an end.

Its definitely easier to say when something is so new and you are playing.

Aaron Hall retired

I still remember the day, his career ended.

3 gamer Bailey Banfield absolutely clamped him and he was never to be seen again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back