When will the Carlton FC Arrive? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

We have a number of few players who should be looking over their shoulder right now, time (and or contract) is running out for them.

This Year
Liam Jones (already gone)
Lochie O'Brien
Caleb Marchbank
Luke Parks
David Cuningham
Tom Williamson (already gone)
Ed Curnow
Oscar McDonald
Will Setterfield
Lachie Fogarty
Jack Newnes

Next Year
Paddy Dow
Mitch McGovern
Jack Martin
Jordan Boyd
Will Hayes
Nic Newman
Lachie Plowman

Sort these players out and we will be in a very good position.

Carlton need to cut themselves as soon as they can from the Zac Williams deal. Chewing up a heap of cap space.
There's an argument it's up.there worst list management decision in league last 5 years
The Hannebery and McGovern deals are a fair way ahead, but it’s not a great use of some well-banked cap space.

He actually had some good games in the second half of last year and was pretty decent in a couple of games this year before injury but he’s unbelievably injury prone. If he’s not sitting on the sidelines he’s spending big chunks of games being re-conditioned.

Would love to slot him in in place of Plowman to give our defence a different look. Missing his creativity and speed in a big way.

I really can’t see any reasons why we’d end his contract. He was a proven finals commodity at the Giants, and given the step downs in his deal he wouldn’t on as much as he was earning in his first year.

Frustrating though.

The Hannebery and McGovern deals are a fair way ahead, but it’s not a great use of some well-banked cap space.

He actually had some good games in the second half of last year and was pretty decent in a couple of games this year before injury but he’s unbelievably injury prone. If he’s not sitting on the sidelines he’s spending big chunks of games being re-conditioned.

Would love to slot him in in place of Plowman to give our defence a different look. Missing his creativity and speed in a big way.

I really can’t see any reasons why we’d end his contract. He was a proven finals commodity at the Giants, and given the step downs in his deal he wouldn’t on as much as he was earning in his first year.

Frustrating though.
How long is it for?

As Ive said, this is the scary thing about the current Carlton side. Put better role players in place and they could make some serious indents into the premiership race very quickly to #17.

With Fischer, he seems to be top 8 or bottom 6 with very few in between which is my concern if he is not a De Goey, Martin, Shai Bolton type match winner. Good player but needs to be more consistent to be appreciated imho. Durdin is not even a goal a game small forward who is averaging not even 2.5 tackles a game.

He just turned 20 this year. Has had a RS nomination and played some excellent games showing very strong attributes - particularly acceleration, skills and goal sense. But he's played some poor ones as you'd expect from a 20 yr old. His stats are essentially identical to Motlops who you've included in your side.

I'll be shocked if him and Motlop don't play 150+ each for us in those small forward roles. I'd be interested to see if he played for Essendon you'd be writing him off.

Anyways, I think our bottom tier is adequate, we have solid prospects in the VFL who are sitting 4th on the ladder. The list isn't perfect but it's good enough to contend in the next few years; to me it's just a mental maturation issue. 20+ years of going to games expecting to lose is clearly a hard habit to overcome.

Opening post of this thread is bang on. Any club would kill for their top end talent. But when the heat is on they crumble. It can’t be coaching, because it’s the same story with different coaches. They just have no ticker.
Can't be players either can it? They've been doing this (dropping games that should be won every day of the week) for well over a decade, theres no-one left on the list from that time. I'm just consoling myself with the fact that it's only happened once this year for a change lol. Will pay a big price though, will miss the 8 I reckon (we lose our last 3, Bulldogs win their last 3), very disappointing - just the loss of a chance to get some finals experience alone.

Plowman getting a game every week is an absolute indictment. I know Williams would take his place if not injured but still, can't carry a guy that ordinary. I would legit prefer Jack Silvagni in the backline over him.

Oh, and McKay should be doing nothing else this pre-season except kicking drop punt set shots, all day every day. That miss from 15 out on a slight angle on Saturday night when he went the set shot banana, wowee. Just has to get more comfortable with it, end of.

Plowman getting a game every week is an absolute indictment. I know Williams would take his place if not injured but still, can't carry a guy that ordinary. I would legit prefer Jack Silvagni in the backline over him.
I don't watch Carlton every week, but I'm surprised he's even on a list. He's one guy who sticks out as being that depth player / scrapes into the 22, but a 'real' finals threat wouldn't be playing him at all.

I don't watch Carlton every week, but I'm surprised he's even on a list. He's one guy who sticks out as being that depth player / scrapes into the 22, but a 'real' finals threat wouldn't be playing him at all.
No opposition supporters rate him and commentators are perplexed we continue to roll him out but the MC and our supporters have the strangest hard on for him.

I really don’t get it.

We have Kemp sitting in our VFL side who is an inch taller, faster, better kick, far bigger upside who can’t get a game. He needs some time in the firsts to develop, but otherwise there’s nothing major holding him back.

There’s just no major strings to Plowman’s bow. He’s passable defensively and has had some past success against some reasonable forwards, but he’s not great one-on-one. He’s also the safest ball user of all time and stagnates our ball movement with his 15 metre chips around the backline.

He is also just so slow. So easy to beat on a lead, doesn’t make up a lot of ground when rebounding - despite likely being in the side ahead of a rebounding defender.

Really wish I knew what I was missing with this fella - just such a bland, mediocre player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No opposition supporters rate him and commentators are perplexed we continue to roll him out but the MC and our supporters have the strangest hard on for him.

I really don’t get it.

We have Kemp sitting in our VFL side who is an inch taller, faster, better kick, far bigger upside who can’t get a game. He needs some time in the firsts to develop, but otherwise there’s nothing major holding him back.

There’s just no major strings to Plowman’s bow. He’s passable defensively and has had some past success against some reasonable forwards, but he’s not great one-on-one. He’s also the safest ball user of all time and stagnates our ball movement with his 15 metre chips around the backline.

He is also just so slow. So easy to beat on a lead, doesn’t make up a lot of ground when rebounding - despite likely being in the side ahead of a rebounding defender.

Really wish I knew what I was missing with this fella - just such a bland, mediocre player.
Must have photos of someone. Haha nah I think its just he does 1 or 2 good things and that seems to scrape him by in a year where the backline has been severely depleted - but with at least McGovern back I think he has to go, like I said would seriously prefer Silvagni back there.

He had 2 of the worst turnovers I have ever seen leading directly to Crows goals both times Saturday night. Heart in mouth every time he goes near it.

Last edited:

I really don’t get it.

Is what Adrian Dodoro is to Essendon Lachie Plowman is to Carlton?

Long live Lachlan, may he prosper forever :D:cool:

Carlton’s problem was nailed above, a decade of winning no more than 8 games a season doesn’t make for a high performance environment. The mental side of things is similar to my club but a slightly different flavour, the blues seem like they expect to lose, my mob seem satisfied with perpetual mid table and no risk. They look like being on the cusp of the 8 having beaten the teams they’re fighting for that spot with mostly (a la Essendon 2021) but I don’t think they’re any great shake to do much more than that, I don’t rate the pies either but that’s not the thread topic.

Some high profile baffling list management decisions (Williams, McGovern, Martin et al) but their top end is as good as any. The challenge is how do they round that out, it’s why Hewett has been a great pickup. More of that type of import will help both from a performance week to week but also from instilling a stronger cultural either via evolution or revolution.

Both our clubs missed the memo that we can’t think like the 20th century any more and rely on our previous power and influence, the competition is trying at every step to break that.

I’ll admit, I thought they were ahead of where it seems they are but not having played Melbourne or Brisbane at this point of the year is meaningful in my view. Looking back over the results there’s no doubt the draw played a part in where they are which we may not have realised at the time. Split games with Richmond and Freo (both around their level), beat Hawks and Port (in Mel) by 4pts combined, beat the dogs kicking 16.6 to 13.12, two games against GWS who aren’t what many thought they’d be, admittedly maybe lost the StK game through bad conversion but it’s been a far less dominant season than we had been told it was at one point.

I expected them to finish in the 6-14 range and they seem destined for that. I wouldn’t pick them over any of those other teams in that band with confidence and that’s ok, those teams all have their strengths and weaknesses. They have the top end with enough years left, it’s about how they retool around their stars.

We have a number of few players who should be looking over their shoulder right now, time (and or contract) is running out for them.

This Year
Liam Jones (already gone)
Lochie O'Brien
Caleb Marchbank
Luke Parks
David Cuningham
Tom Williamson (already gone)
Ed Curnow
Oscar McDonald
Will Setterfield
Lachie Fogarty
Jack Newnes

Next Year
Paddy Dow
Mitch McGovern
Jack Martin
Jordan Boyd
Will Hayes
Nic Newman
Lachie Plowman

Sort these players out and we will be in a very good position.
You need to replace them, you aren't going to get 15 Leigh Matthews and 3 Gary Ablett senior's.

During year, Carlton has performed admirably in a numbers of games when short on personal, so as players came back into side I was expecting a very competitive showing from the playing group in the latter stages of year but their insipid performance against Adelaide defied belief, those continued broken tackles is all about 'intent' or lack of (anyone that has ever played football would understand that) and it's something that can dramatically change within a week turn around if the playing group are supportive and responsible to each other, the club has come too far as a group in 2022 for them not go down without a fight in their remaining games, so I do look forward from a 'intent' prospective and point of view to see a a huge improvement from the Adelaide game, good luck to all supporters and club for remaining of year.

Just wondering, with the manner in which Carlton supporters have abandoned their brand and resorted to getting their AFL kicks vicariously through other teams, for example...
Screenshot_20220918-130126_Chrome.jpg
... is it time that they looked at merging with another minnow who similarly has been unable to adjust to the realities of 21st century football, being Essendon?

Just wondering, with the manner in which Carlton supporters have abandoned their brand and resorted to getting their AFL kicks vicariously through other teams, for example...
View attachment 1511507
... is it time that they looked at merging with another minnow who similarly has been unable to adjust to the realities of 21st century football, being Essendon?
Go into a Collingwood thread and sook with the rest of them.

View attachment 1511507
Obsessed much?

Gee Carlton supporters are talking about last nights game…….

Pies fans logic “ Let me find a thread to bump up where I can bag another team”. 🤣

🤡🤡🤡

View attachment 1511507

Crestfallen

6tsfkk.jpg

Couple of things, you Pies fans gave it to us big time after our rnd 23 loss and knocking us out of the eight, which is fine, but surely you have to expect some payback and gloating coming back from us ...

Also the Swans was always the team I wanted to win the flag once Carlton were knocked out and I am rooting for them again on Saturday

Finally lighten up mate.

Crestfallen

6tsfkk.jpg

Couple of things, you Pies fans gave it to us big time after our rnd 23 loss and knocking us out of the eight, which is fine, but surely you have to expect some payback and gloating coming back from us ...

Also the Swans was always the team I wanted to win the flag once Carlton were knocked out and I am rooting for them again on Saturday

Finally lighten up mate.
Great to see that level of hurt from our boys

Remove this Banner Ad

Back