Opinion When are you willing to call a game "over"

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Eagles NFL, 76ers, Blue Jays
After the Port win, Campbell Brown by memory call the game 5 seconds before Rioli kicked the goal.

The old saying it's not over until the fat lady sings might not be relevant given 19 on the field no longer resets the score.

So when is it time to make the call.

I think 14 points is still gettable so long as you leave 40 seconds to get the last two like Port did. In perfect circumstances a team can score a goal in 6 to 8 seconds from centre bounce. Then there's 50m penalties free kicks etc.

Obviously nailing centre bounces repeatedly is hard but still possible.

I'd say 28 points for 2 minutes and I'd call the game barring some stupid double goal. Even 21 points is gettable so long as the goal comes immediately.

36 points for 3 minutes.

After the Port win, Campbell Brown by memory call the game 5 seconds before Rioli kicked the goal.

The old saying it's not over until the fat lady sings might not be relevant given 19 on the field no longer resets the score.

So when is it time to make the call.

I think 14 points is still gettable so long as you leave 40 seconds to get the last two like Port did. In perfect circumstances a team can score a goal in 6 to 8 seconds from centre bounce. Then there's 50m penalties free kicks etc.

Obviously nailing centre bounces repeatedly is hard but still possible.

I'd say 28 points for 2 minutes and I'd call the game barring some stupid double goal. Even 21 points is gettable so long as the goal comes immediately.

36 points for 3 minutes.

Nothing these days for teams to score two goals in a minute with 6-6 rule.

Get's progressively harder I imagine as you span out e.g.. 3 in 2 min, 4 in 3 mins etc..

Having said that, a lead of 5 goals with 10 minutes to play is very 'do-able' these days.

Depends on the game really. Who has momentum etc, whether the team who are chasing the lead have belief.

I'd usually back the Pies to at least make a game of it if they're two goals down with a minute to play.

Watching the Dees on the weekend, I turned off the TV in the first quarter, was obvious to me we weren't up to it.

Lions/Richmond game was over before the bounce.

I’ve got no issue with Brown saying that. You can know that two goals in thirty seconds is doable, but still very unlikely. ‘Game over’ or ‘winning goal’ or whatever is usually said with more nuance than literal, you generally speak to the game complexion and percentages. Great escapes seldom happen. If you become too scared to declare because a miraculous Bradbury might happen or there is still a mathematical sliver then it’s just going to kill the call. When the miracles do happen we get a consequent sharp thrill and jawdrop disbelief as reward.

Last edited:
The game has changed a lot usually id say 40 odd points behind is over but the way teams park the bus after they get to that just isn't the case.

Coaches need to stop trying to "play out the game" and continue to play the way that got them 40 odd points ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game has changed a lot usually id say 40 odd points behind is over but the way teams park the bus after they get to that just isn't the case.

Coaches need to stop trying to "play out the game" and continue to play the way that got them 40 odd points ahead.
Trigger GIF by MOODMAN

Honestly, I tend to feel confident in almost any side (bar the bottom four teams) when they hold a 2-3 goal halftime lead.
Statistically speaking, and the bookmakers know this, teams that hold such a lead going into the long break will invariably win the game.

Honestly, I tend to feel confident in almost any side (bar the bottom four teams) when they hold a 2-3 goal halftime lead.
Statistically speaking, and the bookmakers know this, teams that hold such a lead going into the long break will invariably win the game.
Id argue that is totally false this season.

Ive never seen more teams come back from backs against the wall type stuff

Id argue that is totally false this season.

Ive never seen more teams come back from backs against the wall type stuff

How often would you say it happens though?
I reckon 1 of the 9 matches, that team will come back after halftime. If you hold a handy lead, it's virtually game over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back