Society & Culture What's the point of giving a gift card to a particular store as opposed to giving money and a card?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I've never gotten this concept. I always give money and a card at Christmas for those I'm at a loss as to what to buy for. But I always get vouchers to particular stores (like JB HiFi) in return.

Why is this?

gift-cards-store.jpg

This 50 dollar gift voucher is good at JB HiFi. That's it.

aud50back.jpg

This 50 dollar note is a voucher too, yet it's good absolutely EVERYWHERE - the stores are only limited by your imagination. It can be even used down the pub!

Why are gift cards portrayed as being 'more' thoughtful when given as gifts when they lock you into 'less' overall choice?

I'll never give a gift card. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

Do any of you lot fawn over gift cards at Christmas?

I'm a money hoarder, give me cash and I'll save it or spend it on everyday shit so I don't have to go to the bank, withdraw money, or use my keycard.

A gift card actually allows me to purchase something recreational that I might enjoy, the point of a gift.

I guess some people aren't responsible and if given cash blow it, vouchers you are restricted to the one store so the rellie knows it usually wont get squandered.

Can't say I'm overly joyed with receiving a gift certificate , not big on being restricted , funny edgie says he hoards money, the few times I've got given a voucher I hoarded them to wait to use them as a bigger budget purchase and the vendor either went broke I or ended up giving them away for nothing

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Hedberg had a joke on that very subject.

"People give me gift certificates as gifts. I think a gift certificate is a bad gift. What's a gift certificate? You take money that was good everywhere and you ruin it. Just give me the twenty, that was a universal gift certificate."

I think a gift voucher for something the person otherwise wouldn't get themselves makes a good gift without the risk of getting something they completley don't want.

Example if they don't get out much then a restaurant voucher or an adventure type voucher can be good.

Just giving cash kind of just tops up a number in an account and could be forgotten. The gift card gives you some scope to select a type of gift.

So the more generic the store, the more I tend to agree with OP.

Someone gave me a Greater Union gift card last Christmas.

I forgot all about it until a few months ago but then when I tried to use it at the cinema they said it had already been used.

I hadn't used it so either the person that gave it to me had already used it or someone else found it and used it.

That's the other problem with gift cards you forget that you have them or lose them, you're less likely to forget or lose cash.

Last edited:
That's probably marketing as well. Get your or someone elses money upfront before any actual service has been exchanged.

The risk sits entirely with the owner of the gift card. They've done well to have giftcards become acceptable items.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back