what is the most remote aka middle of f**king nowhere you've been to/seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Not as remote as others but East Murray Area School where East Murray played in the Riverland Independents until 2014 was an interesting place. A school/footy ground in the middle of paddocks with no town around it. It's not that far away from Loxton, the school is now up for sale.

I saw that Lochiel Oval hosted one of the SA country league GFs this year which was surprising as I've driven through there heaps and didn't realise they even had an oval. I'd guess it was a long time since they had a football club there.
Lociel is one of the home grounds for Hummocks Watchman Eagles (Port Wakefield being the other).

The Hummocks Watchman Eagles merger tree is decent.

Lochiel
South Hummocks
Watchman
Auburn
Port Wakefield
Owen

Hummocks United (Lochiel & South Hummocks)
Watchman Auburn (Watchman & Auburn)
Hummocks Watchman (Hummocks United & Watchman Auburn)
Port Owen Hawks (Port Wakefield & Owen, changed name back to Port Wakefield)
Hummocks Watchman Eagles (Hummocks Watchman & Port Wakefield)

Lociel is one of the home grounds for Hummocks Watchman Eagles (Port Wakefield being the other).

The Hummocks Watchman Eagles merger tree is decent.

Lochiel
South Hummocks
Watchman
Auburn
Port Wakefield
Owen

Hummocks United (Lochiel & South Hummocks)
Watchman Auburn (Watchman & Auburn)
Hummocks Watchman (Hummocks United & Watchman Auburn)
Port Owen Hawks (Port Wakefield & Owen, changed name back to Port Wakefield)
Hummocks Watchman Eagles (Hummocks Watchman & Port Wakefield)
Very interesting, thanks. I didn't realise HWE still played there sometimes. Do any of the old grounds for those teams still exist?

Very interesting, thanks. I didn't realise HWE still played there sometimes. Do any of the old grounds for those teams still exist?
They sure do and are easy to access or find.

Watchman is a small settlement about 10mins north of Balaklava. They had an original ground behind the old school before moving to the northern corner of the intersection. Later they played out of Hoyelton after the Hoyelton club folded - Hoyelton had larger facilities, a larger ground and a grandstand. Sadly Hoyelton is long gone and now a paddock 😞. Both the former Watchman grounds are also paddocks as well.

South Hummocks played out of Nantawarra although their original ground was in the South Hummocks settlement area (haven't found it yet). Apparently the Oval was located behind the South Hummocks church.

Auburn Oval is still used during the summer by the Auburn / Mintaro Cricket club, while the rest of the recreation ground area is used as a caravan park.

Owen is located on the back road between Balaklava and Gawler (follows the old railway). Haven't been to the old Oval yet but it's still there.

Originally from north west WA, so had a few games in some pretty far out places in my childhood days of the late 90s

Yulara(Uluru) NT.....played a game there when I lived there for a bit 2021

Tennant Creek NT....did umpiring there in 2022

Currently I live in NZ, and I do goal umpiring for the AFLNZ premiership....so Auckland and Christchurch, Would be the most southern places I've been involved in footy.

And I lived in Sweden for two years, played there in 2017.....so that's the most north in the world I've been involved in footy.

I'm heading to Halls Gap next month. One of the route options coming from Adelaide goes past Laharum that appears on Google Maps to be a football ground in need of a town.

I'm heading to Halls Gap next month. One of the route options coming from Adelaide goes past Laharum that appears on Google Maps to be a football ground in need of a town.
The saddest one on that trip would be Kiata. Played up until 1999 in the Horsham District league, the big sign and cricket pitch remains but everything else was removed.
Trees were planted on the oval because of some Victorian law saying they had to return the oval to it's natural state or something like that.

I've never been there but I have seen a picture or two. It looks awesome with the Grampians in the background. I believe it's more of a locality than a town but I will stand corrected.

Did a remote clinical placement on Christmas Island just before my internship over a decade ago - the oval adjoins the rec centre and is next to part of the detention centre facilities. Just missed out on footy season, but got to swing the willow in a 80-odd person game of cricket. Mix of locals of all backgrounds, blow ins like myself and refugees from South Asia who had been initially processed and were waiting to hopefully join the CI community full time (or perhaps even get to the mainland). Faced an over from one kid who was a dead ringer for Lasith Malinga (besides the blond tips and was missing about five to eight clicks of pace - still scary enough to bat to!). Afterwards took some photos of the amazing mass of humanity enjoying life from a distance to get the full perspective before a jacked-up SERCO guard grabbed and confiscated my camera because I was taking photos of the refugees (which if anyone is identifiable, is a big no-no). Only when the club president intervened did I get my camera back - but still had to delete all the photos in front of the dude on a power trip, even though you couldn't make out any faces.

One of my most cherished memories tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back