What if it was our club?

Remove this Banner Ad

What a strange statement. It almost comes across as the club has skeletons from the past that are about to be released.

If every other was doing these statements it would make more sense. But apart from those involved (North, Hawthorn, Brisbane) I have seen nothing like this from the other clubs.
I wouldn’t be surprised, given our strong indigenous history, the club has been inundated with concerns from our supporters & this is the clubs way of responding by suggesting we have nothing to hide.

What a strange statement. It almost comes across as the club has skeletons from the past that are about to be released.

If every other was doing these statements it would make more sense. But apart from those involved (North, Hawthorn, Brisbane) I have seen nothing like this from the other clubs.
Oh heck off.
It sounds like a club being open and transparent while recognizing it can always do better ..

The eagles on the other hand have shuttered up as per usual ..

If Freo coaches had done what has been alleged at the Hawks ...

I would absolutely stop supporting the club.

At some point in your life you have to stand up and say "this is unacceptable and I will not abide"

However, I have faith that our club has never failed its players and their families like that.

No one will like hearing this, but we haven't been squeaky clean.

There are some lads who weren't treating in a culturally appropriate manner under former regimes.

Would have no impact on my following the club, whatsoever.

I'm sure it will turn out that whatever has or hasn't happened at the Hawks is not a persecution of Indigenous players because they're Indigenous. It might turn out that some lines were crossed (as happens in any group at times), and it involved Indigenous players, perhaps amongst others, or not, but that is very different than racial vilification.

From memoey Cyril had some issues with Kennet relating to something with his wife and it's probably connected to that. Wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be Kennet saying some edgy Kennet things or Clarkson being the angry Smurf he is and saying something about player's getting their partners pregnant during the preseason and miasing finals. Mundane s**t like that.

Would be very surprised if it's not anything more than a storm in a teacup.

Would be surprised if it's anything more than some careless words and a few snowflakes taking it personally.

No one will like hearing this, but we haven't been squeaky clean.

There are some lads who weren't treating in a culturally appropriate manner under former regimes.

No one is perfect, as long as you improve and learn from your errors.

It is when you think you are 100% squeaky clean, that problems occur.

I wouldn't stop supporting the club - but I would use whatever precious little influence I have as a 20+year member to mobilise and pressure the club to ensure those responsible were appropriately punished and whatever reforms were put in place.

I'd like to think there's enough people of a similar bent who'd be willing to do the same.

Oh * off.
It sounds like a club being open and transparent while recognizing it can always do better ..

The eagles on the other hand have shuttered up as per usual ..

This. I think the end result here is probably recognition that, on balance, the structures and processes we've set up to support our Indigenous players are pretty bloody solid.

But there are some situations - S.Yarran, Josh Simpson and Clem are the three that stick out for me, although people will obviously disagree - where we probably could and should have done better, and there's no shame in getting on the front foot and working out what, if anything, needs to be improved.

This stems from culture it would be deeply ingrained in Vic clubs i mean you only have to look back to the eighties very hard to name many indigenous players from the VFL era.

Which generally comes back to there being very few indigenous people living in Victoria. Currently it's roughly 1%, by far the smallest proportion of population of any state.

Which generally comes back to there being very few indigenous people living in Victoria. Currently it's roughly 1%, by far the smallest proportion of population of any state.
Which to me just makes it all the more amusing that the marquee celebration of Indigenous talent in the game is held in Melbourne with 2 of the biggest Melbourne clubs competing in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which to me just makes it all the more amusing that the marquee celebration of Indigenous talent in the game is held in Melbourne with 2 of the biggest Melbourne clubs competing in it.
kevin sheedy invented indigenous talent don't you remember?

kevin sheedy invented indigenous talent don't you remember?
Sheedy gets and takes all the accolades for the Indigenous round. But as West Aussies, we know that our WAFL was far more advanced in promoting the Indigenous players than what he or the VFL ever were.
I think Fremantle FC have been on the front foot on this issue since our inception.
I would be devastated if the same thing happened at our club.

Because at the end of the day that sort of stuff is just fake lip service with the bonus of some extra jumper revenue, trying to make the league look good whilst actually doing bugger all.

Much of it stems from the win at all cost mentality. The salary cap rorts, the drug issues ignored, the essendon saga. The culture that the football club and winning are the most important things in your life. More so than family, friends, relationships. You must sacrifice all.

Yet fans mostly stick and while angry at their club they remain loyal. I have friends that are passionate WC supporters and they accept their club ignored the drug saga as long as they turned up on game day and played well. They count the 2006 premiership as much as 92 and 94.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if any club did the right thing 100% That's the problem with institutional racism.

yeah this. I would be shocked if anything like the Clarkson allegations came up at Freo, but I'd almost equally be surprised if nothing came out of a proper investigation into us. the 90s and early 2000s were a different time and a long time ago now. and even in recent years, it only takes one or two rogue dickheads with a bit of sway, and we have not been immune to dickheads.

Last edited:
We have been a more thinking and aware club than most, but among the review's findings I suspect there will be concerns about where benign paternalism (if such a thing can be said to exist) ends and racism - conscious or unconscious - begins. I am pretty certain there will be different expectations about where support should end. I am convinced there will be plenty of misunderstandings and insensitivities borne of the different mindsets brought about by the cycle of poverty and its ongoing toleration.

Junk article. Read the original ABC piece instead.

Stop consuming trash media.
Hey troll!
Napoleon Dynamite Hello GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back