What are you listening to right now? Pt VI

Remove this Banner Ad

At the moment I am listening to an audio book called "Icons of Rock - In Their own Words", by Jenny Boyd. This is a fascinating look at musicians, the creative process, how they create and what drives their creative processes involved in making a song. Jenny is the sister of Patty Boyd who was married to George Harrison and then Eric Clapton. Jenny was also married to Mick Fleetwood. Her friends and contacts in the music industry have allowed her to interview 75 music icons. The range of musicians is truly amazing. Have a read of the article I have linked at the bottom of the page to get an idea of the people involved.
I have found it a fascinating book with so many stories that you would never have heard before. Buddy Guy playing his very first song on guitar and being so afraid that if he stopped he wouldn't be able to play it again, he played the same song for 5 hours straight just to make sure he wouldn't forget it. I loved the Joni Mitchell interview, with her description of visiting a dying Charles Mingus and his request for her to write lyrics for his instrumental song "Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat", as well as her discussion on Jaco Pastorious.

I'm going to chase up her memoir, ‘Jennifer Juniper, A Journey Beyond the Muse’ next. Although her sister has had plenty of songs written about her, like Something and Layla, Donovan wrote Jennifer Juniper for Jenny.

I downloaded the audio book from my local library.

https://thestrangebrew.co.uk/interviews/jenny-boyd/

Last edited:

I was today year's old when I found out about this twitter account. Currently running a poll on people's favourite 1995 singles. For someone who turned 18 early in 1996 and finished high school in 1995 (30 year reunion coming up), this was a massive part of my maturation.

I got chased out of a pub by one of the Rose Tattoo guys when I was a youngster. A three legged dog came in the pub, I laughed and made some crack about it's name being called Tripod. On the table next to us were the band and one of the guitarists took umbrage to my comment, got threatening and I am ashamed to say I bolted.

I've been listening to the Damned, probably the most forgotten of the seminal UK punk bands. They had a few firsts, the first OK punk single and the first UK Ponk album. Dave Vanian can probably be regarded as the grandfather of Goth, with Siouxsie Sioux being the grandmother. They had a few songs that were pretty good, the cover of Jet Boy Jet Girl was one of it's better covers. The song is the same music as Ça plane pour moi, the hit (maybe) by Plastic Bertrand and was ordinally written by Elon Morello,

Probably my favourite Damned song is Love Song, a rather zany rendition on Top of the Pops is below

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has there ever been a better angry song? Flea's bass line is a killer.
Taylor Swift could learn a thing or two from Alanis about how to write a breakup song.

Last edited:
Has there ever been a better angry song? Flea's bass line is a killer.
Taylor Swift could learn a thing or two from Alanis about how to write a breakup song.

Things you learn. Flea, Dave Navarro and Taylor Hawkins all involved. I had no idea. It's a cracking song.

Things you learn. Flea, Dave Navarro and Taylor Hawkins all involved. I had no idea. It's a cracking song.
The whole album, "Jagged Little Pill" is a ripper.
That's what I like about this Forum. You see so many different artists, many you've never heard of and all of a sudden your listening to stuff and finding out things you probably wouldn't have discovered by yourself.

Last edited:
Pearl Jams new one, meh, good guitar solos though

Couple of bangers on there - Upper Deck, Waiting for Stevie highlights imo.

Weirdly I feel like Eddie's the one letting the album down. Obviously voice is changing but his delivery is a bit of a let down in places.

Drums production is a bit grating for mine also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back