AFLW West Coast vs Port Adelaide - Round 1 @ Lathlain

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you mean ‘meant to be’ it IS.
By virtue of throwing money at women from other sports and giving them a football and everyone pretending they can football. Netball, basketball for starters are off the charts better women's sports in Aus with the quality of players we pump out. That's in spite of decades of mismanagement by relevant sporting bodies.

By virtue of throwing money at women from other sports and giving them a football and everyone pretending they can football. Netball, basketball for starters are off the charts better women's sports in Aus with the quality of players we pump out. That's in spite of decades of mismanagement by relevant sporting bodies.
Yes, and this is the AFL properly managing women's footy to get it to the level they envisage. Giving them elite development pathways so in a generation the skill level has skyrocketed and AFLW is the premier women's sport.

Netball and Basketball are better at the moment because every girl plays one or the other. The AFL are specifically trying to drag those girls over to footy.

Yes, and this is the AFL properly managing women's footy to get it to the level they envisage. Giving them elite development pathways so in a generation the skill level has skyrocketed and AFLW is the premier women's sport.

Netball and Basketball are better at the moment because every girl plays one or the other. The AFL are specifically trying to drag those girls over to footy.
By creating a league before there was even a pathway to it or state leagues? Yep doing a bang up job mirroring the absolute failure of the NBA so far. The idea is right, they've just completely ****ed it so Gil could say he implemented it before he left. Let's see how they navigate the drop off in enthusiasm to join from the juniors now it's not new and shiny, a nice easter egg for the new CEO to have to deal with. Anyway going back to sacking hinkley threads now.

By creating a league before there was even a pathway to it or state leagues? Yep doing a bang up job mirroring the absolute failure of the NBA so far. The idea is right, they've just completely *ed it so Gil could say he implemented it before he left. Let's see how they navigate the drop off in enthusiasm to join from the juniors now it's not new and shiny, a nice easter egg for the new CEO to have to deal with. Anyway going back to sacking hinkley threads now.
People play sport to emulate their heroes. Without AFLW you don't get the huge uptick of girls signing up to play footy because it's a dead end sport. Those girls are lost to Basketball, Football, Volleyball, Hockey, hell, even Cricket and Soccer at this point because those sports are putting the resources in.

Those that didn't get a game this week, do they get to play somewhere else?

There is nowhere else - SANFLW has already finished, as I would imagine other suburban women's footy comps. With the injury attrition rate we're already seeing, no to mention any new Covid wave that might happen, I wonder whether squads of thirty will be enough. The problem might be more of where would we get any replacements from when there's no other footy being played below the AFLW level?

Was surprised by the skill level of both teams , yes there's still a way to go but the 1st half ( went to the shops and missed the 2nd half) was far better execution level then I was expecting.

Aflw was terrible at the start but watching a qtr here or there this weekend the product is actually aesthetically pleasing

It was not great weather conditions for a first up performance, so a full appreciation of the skill set of players was sabotaged.
We were hard at it before wilting.
Nevertheless, there was some quite good stuff accompanying the very poor.

Lots of air balls as attempts to kick resulted in the player being slung off the kick. I think it results from lots of confusion, and even apprehension, when the ball is deep in traffic and players are suddenly "presented" with the ball. Reaction times need to sharpen I think, in these circumstances.

Unsurprisingly, once the play opens up the women's game looks far, far better.

Overall I think there has generally been a 10m improvement in the length of kicks since inception of the league. Good. It diminishes the formation of packs of players, where skills deficits are evident.

Play on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was disappointed not to be able to find any video of Lauren's press conference after the game, as is always available after the men's games. Does anyone know if it’s available anywhere?

It's OK, I found it 😊

Last edited:
I was disappointed not to be able to find any video of Lauren's press conference after the game, as is always available after the men's games. Does anyone know if it’s available anywhere?
6 minutes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back