Wellington Phoenix Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the sentiment of the name and its logic, but it screams "MLS 1996."

Spot on. I can see them sitting around a table saying "ok, what sounds cool, is completely unrelated to the city or country and will surely bring the crowds in"

Its average, but at least they spelt it right.

It's Phoenix.

Townsville Irukandji would have been better, but let's hope they're at least competitive.

haha. Those were my thoughts exactly when I saw the report on FSN.

I wonder who their goaltender will be?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'd be cool if they wore black and yellow stripes though.

I'm sick of seeing all these boring generic kit designs.

287419.jpg

not a bad logo.

anyway, why do our teams need nicknames embedded in the name as such?

eg. I play for the Melbourne Victory.
Couldnt you just say I play for Melbourne?

Also when the media says "in tonights match Perth Glory drew with Newcastle Jets"
Shouldn't team names be preceded by the word "the"?

Excuse me for being ignorant. I know Phoenix was mythical bird but why is 'Rising' or 'Rising from the ashes'
Is it Greek or Eygptian?
Greek

Wikipedia said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_(mythology)

Said to live for 500 or 1461 years (depending on the source), the phoenix is a bird with beautiful gold and red plumage. At the end of its life-cycle the phoenix builds itself a nest of cinnamon twigs that it then ignites; both nest and bird burn fiercely and are reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix arises. The new phoenix embalms the ashes of the old phoenix in an egg made of myrrh and deposits it in the Egyptian city of Heliopolis ("the city of the sun" in Greek). The bird was also said to regenerate when hurt or wounded by a foe, thus being almost immortal and invincible — a symbol of fire and divinity. Tears from a phoenix can heal wounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back