Toast Welcome To Freo Cooper Simpson (pick 35 2023 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

I love that he basically had a trademark already, that shimmy and the way he handballs while running the other direction to draw the player with him and open more space are so fun to watch
I also liked his composure under pressure and was always looking for the best option instead of bombing it like some first gamers do.

Time and space.

My hot take is that we would still be undefeated if he had played since round 1.
True and to be honest it’s fairly typical for JL to be conservative is selection and cost us. Most on here we’re calling for Simpson to be playing round 1 because of his pre season.

Guys like Kevin Sheedy always believed in rewarding young guys early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8deef45e630755fc8a3705c0430873ea.jpg

That's what I saw went I came to the TV literally about 40 or 50 seconds before, I was like "f*** me, that's sexy!", and then a bit later I had to go off and do something at work and came back about a minute or so before Coops took that run from the wing and chipped to Bailey for his goal. He's just got that x-factor and we're all craving to see more of it :D

That was almost physics defying. He somehow moved in 2 different directions in mid air 😱
If you watch it carefully you see its relatively simple to explain (hard to actually do):

He leans a bit to the right whilst still in the air, and looks that way too as if he is going to offload in the same direction after a step or two post landing. Instead he actually does a little goose step with his left (I.e the one he was feigning to be going to push off on) then pushes off into a straight rugby league style side step on his right.) It's a simple enough move to copy; even fat early middle aged me can do it in the backyard. BUT why everyone is rightly creaming themselves at is what it shows about his potential:

1) In that situation you have to conceptualise what you are going to do all in about 1/4 of a second and start doing it
2) Not worrying that you will fail under the direct pressure of your opponents and the indirect game situation pressure
3) Actually do it fast enough that AFL athletes won't catch and flatten you.

So whatever else and injury notwithstanding we already know he's going to be an above average player as in game one ball in hand the world is not only not a blur for him, it's obviously crystal clear and in bullet time slow mo.

Last edited:
If you watch it carefully you see its relatively simple to explain (hard to actually do):

He leans a bit to the right whilst still in the air, and looks that way too as if he is going to offload in the same direction after a step or two post landing. Instead he actually does a little goose step with his left (I.e the one he was feigning to be going to push off on) then pushes off into a straight rugby league style side step on his right.) It's a simple enough move to copy; even fat early middle aged me can do it in the backyard. BUT why everyone is rightly creaming themselves at what it shows about his potential:

1) In that situation you have to conceptualise what you are going to do all in about 1/4 of a second and start doing it
2) Not worrying that you will fail under the direct pressure of your opponents and the indirect game situation pressure
3) Actually do it fast enough that AFL athletes won't catch and flatten you.

So whatever else and injury notwithstanding we already know he's going to be an above average player as in game one ball in hand the world is not only not a blur for him, it's obviously crystal clear and in bullet time slow mo.
Magnifying all of that, that was his first touch in AFL football was it not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back