List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Also worth pointing out he didn’t say it was the worst birthday because Perth is sleepy and he wanted to hit the town and Crown in Melbourne. He missed his family, which may have been the same for him in Melbourne.

Missing Tongala is not the same as missing Vic.
He did however also say in the same interview something along the lines of "sometimes I wish I could go for a drive on my days off to go see my family". Which is exactly what he'd be doing if he was playing for a Vic club.

I still think he's going back home at some point, but thats just a feeling.

Great article...he says it backfired once and he got an injured leg from it...amazing the amount of practise he put into it, palming off heavy medicine balls! He has entered the arena fully versed and dedicated to his craft!
Yeah, was against GWV last year. Slipped over and the opposition fell on his leg in the tackle:
Harley Reid injury-2.jpg

Can we bring Tongala to Perth?
9143dec4-e40d-4d5a-9a62-e948fa5bb5a2_text.gif

Nic Nat never had this much attention early in his career. Might be because Harley’s Victorian that propels it somewhat
Also because The West is a much more clickbait paper than it was when Nic started.

He gave them something that could be said looks like a morsel, but isn’t actually a morsel.

He did his little laugh thing when he said it was his worst birthday.

Encourage you to listen for yourself in the link above. Last two minutes.

To be fair - Reid inadvertently handed them the morsel...

The 5:04 min mark from here talks about it, with a snippet of the ABC interview. Must day I love Edmund's take on it.

He did however also say in the same interview something along the lines of "sometimes I wish I could go for a drive on my days off to go see my family". Which is exactly what he'd be doing if he was playing for a Vic club.

I still think he's going back home at some point, but thats just a feeling.

Not sure he'd be getting there too often on his days off given the travel distance in the picture below.

If it meant the difference between keeping and losing him, maybe the Eagles could give him special dispensation to spend an extra 48 hours in Victoria once a month after a match?

Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 6.17.47 PM.png

19 year old leaves home for the first time, misses family.

Stop the press.

Plenty of us did it for a fraction of what he'll end up earning and never went back.

And he has had attention unprecedented. It does get all too much.

Not sure how jack watts survived because his football ability wasn’t the same.

Media will never claim responsibility for anything but can’t do much about it.

And he has had attention unprecedented. It does get all too much.

Not sure how jack watts survived because his football ability wasn’t the same.

Media will never claim responsibility for anything but can’t do much about it.
That's the things right?

Vic media harps on about Reid, yet they drove Watts out of Victoria with their incessant scrutiny.

Bunch of hypocrites.

Always thought Juddy was absolutely FOS when he used to say that he didn’t read or listen to the media. How could you not if you love something that much and make your career out of it?

After the way Harley has been treated I 100% believe him and can absolutely see why he’d do that. It’s literally essential and I hope Harley has the right people in his ears encouraging him to do the same.

Depends on your personality.

I certainly wouldn’t want to read media if I knew it was going to focus on me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard on the radio this evening, some lady called up and said reid had sign for another 2 years and that it would be announced next week.

Who knows if true but we can all hope.
Not to give oxygen to unfounded rumours but I have also seen a few instagram comments tonight claiming stuff along these lines.

I’m sure FootyRhino will be straight on it when there is some official news

"Hello caller, go ahead you're on the air."

"Yeah ay campaigner I heard Harley Reid has signed a 2 year extension ay."

"You heard it here first, Harley Reid has extended his contract."

On the Midweek Rub they ran the story about his birthday, but Jay Clark said he believes WCE and anyone close to Harley thinks he will sign an extension, and Clark reckons they'll be rolling 12 months at 1-1.5Mn/season. Then randomly the graphics flashed up Reid likely to sign until 2027 or something bizarre that didn't quite match what was just said.

Last edited:
Exactly- next year his parents could fly over with his sister to Perth to celebrate or he could fly East a few days earlier to see his family and celebrate. It can easily be accommodated.
This year was probably an outlier with no games in Melbourne during April.

The team would be more in tune with it for next year too, could see them fly the whole family over to surprise him.

Honestly, I respect the kid. He's not letting homesickness get in the way of his footballing ability and has shown nothing but 100% commitment and effort both on and off the field.

Also, respect to the club for giving him the time off to be with family. Think it ment alot to him and you can also see him become a lot more comfortable and confident with each game he's played since.

Last edited:
I think for many of us there is still so much scar tissue from Juddy walking out but I have to remind myself Harley is a different kind of cat.

I loved Juddy but let’s face it, he was a robot. Didn’t show much emotion, even on the premiership dais, didn’t want to be seen as a role model and certainly didn’t look for attention.

The media coverage on Harley is ridiculous but in 9 games I’ve seen more emotion from Harley than I did from Juddy in 6 years.

From special handshakes, to cheeky interviews, revving up the crowd and grabbing his jumper to doing drive by the cheer squad after a goal or having a special celebration or muscle flex after snagging a goal.

This kid has bought in and has dragged us all out of the worst two years in the history of the club.

I’m thankful to him and the team for bringing some football joy back into my life and I have faith in Harley that he will hang around and help build something special for us all to enjoy.

He’s not Juddy, he’s the mother ****ing Harley and I’m just so thankful for the ride.

Last edited:
Harley on talking footy was asked about his comments in abc sport, played a very straight bat.

I don’t think he liked the way his comments were portrayed and taken out of context.

Follow up question about his homesickness he said “he said he didn’t feel homesick at all, just thought it was a good time to visit home”.

Also asked about contract extension, Harley basically said he’s 9 games in and hasn’t thought about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back