List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Question for those who watched Ben Cousins as youngster. How did Ben become so beloved? Was it after his crimes or was he always beloved?

Had Ben Cousins not done the crimes or been a bad boy would he still be a cult hero and beloved.
Always was and always will be.

Question for those who watched Ben Cousins as youngster. How did Ben become so beloved? Was it after his crimes or was he always beloved?

Had Ben Cousins not done the crimes or been a bad boy would he still be a cult hero and beloved.
Was 100% heart and soul WC.

Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 10.33.32 pm.jpeg
The rumour I heard was that most of the selectors on match committee went deaf years ago and communicate via ASL. They thought Harley said "We should cut Cripps" after the game. Consequently Harls woke up with horses head in his bed and has needed to take time away for mental health. Can't confirm but also heard there was a note in the horses mouth that said "You might be the best player of all time. But I am the first player picked- for all the time." It's not the first time its happened and around the club they call it being "crippled."

View attachment 1969797
The rumour I heard was that most of the selectors on match committee went deaf years ago and communicate via ASL. They thought Harley said "We should cut Cripps" after the game. Consequently Harls woke up with horses head in his bed and has needed to take time away for mental health. Can't confirm but also heard there was a note in the horses mouth that said "You might be the best player of all time. But I am the first player picked- for all the time." It's not the first time its happened and around the club they call it being "crippled."
Cringe GIF

Had Ben Cousins not done the crimes or been a good boy would he still be a cult hero and beloved.
Ben was loved because of his work-rate on field, the dude would be going at 110% flat out the entire time.
More than once lost his lunch just due to work rate.
But that work rate was coupled with just high level skills as well. If you combined peak gaff (grinding people through effort into dust) and someone like a hewett might go close to what peak cuz was like.

Plus the guy had charisma from day one.

Fremantle supporters have some really weird posts man, I’m born and raised in Melbourne so don’t know any in person but they seem really unhinged and play off a really victimised loser mentality, it’s something else man, I have not seen anything like it from any other club supporters and it’s absolutely hilarious
You obviously haven't been over to the Norf board then have you.

Had Ben Cousins not done the crimes or been a good boy would he still be a cult hero and beloved.
Ben was an absolute f#cking superstar from the get go. He would bust a gut like no other. When everyone got tired in the second half of games he would just keep getting better. He could kick goals from anywhere, dance around opponents and make them look stupid, and he always had a cheeky AF smile that was so sexy. He was loved from the start.

Cuzz was very early known as a local out & out gun whose reputation proceeded him even before he came in.

He was well above average with work rate early and the playing group loved him. You could tell pretty early he would be a star. Amazing player who was ridiculously good looking which also helped the Chardonnay set elevate him to golden boy.

Most west coast mums still gush when he’s mentioned, even after all that transpired.

Brilliant player, and great to see him healthy

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can only speak for myself as a youngster, not as an adult.

Probably started watching properly in the late 90's, but Ben was who all the kids wanted to be. Clean hands below the knees at full pace, crazy good touch on handballs, evasive, went when it was his turn, leader, did more than everyone else and had a desperation in his eyes to try and succeed even when the team were s**t.

It was the work ethic and the skill, but he made kids want to run themselves into the ground to be like him.

Hit the scoreboard at the right time, just seemed to be able to kick important goals and to be honest his looks and youth probably helped in a team of ageing premiership players from the glory days.

It was the same reason I loved Lecras I think later on, was amazing when we were s**t (~2010 years) and clean below his knees, just stood out like a sore thumb.

Didn't hurt that teenage girls, their mums and their grannies all wanted to bang Cuz.

And a few men I have no doubt.
I had second tier seats at Subi behind the goals at the end the players did their final warm up. There was a grandmother. mother and two daughters in the front row who all used to stand up and wave and call out to Benny. He appealed to all ages, especially the women.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 1969797
How long until a "Harley in hot water over gang sign" article comes out haha....

Fremantle supporters have some really weird posts man, I’m born and raised in Melbourne so don’t know any in person but they seem really unhinged and play off a really victimised loser mentality, it’s something else man, I have not seen anything like it from any other club supporters and it’s absolutely hilarious
Nah, that's just the bigfooty nuffs. Most Freo supporters know their team and are fairly level headed, as it is classic Freo to stumble just as things are going well. The ones who were adults in the 90s mostly support West Coast as well, as they'd rather see a WA team win (or used to be Eagles supporters before Freo came in).

Some of the younger ones can get a bit toey, as they jumped on when Ross had them firing. Their spirit will be broken in time though.

Yes, sadly before 2006 he was an underrated and underappreciated workhorse with only a rising star award, brownlow and 5 All Australians to show for it.

Falling off the rails elevated him to an AFL legend who lost his captaincy and ultimately got him sacked by the Eagles, had 3 teams decide against re-drafting him a few years later and had his eligibility for the Hall of Fame put into doubt.

Charlie Day Ok GIF

He was an instant hit. He came into the side and played in the forward line and a little part time in the middle as a kid. Quickly became a fan favourite because he put in so much effort and did his well known gut running. Then there was those dreamy good looks, his ability to speak nicely and perform in front of the media and the most charisma I've ever seen come out of a footballer. To know that Benny was to love him. I was 15/16 at the time- good years. I'm glad he's doing well-happy to see him with that grin and spark in his eyes again. 💛💙

Cuzz had a reputation as a local gun whose reputation proceeded him even before he came in.

He was well above average with work rate early and the playing group loved him. You could tell pretty early he would be a star. Amazing player who was ridiculously good looking which also helped the Chardonnay set elevate him to golden boy.

Most west coast mums still gush when he’s mentioned, even after all that transpired.

Brilliant player, and great to see him healthy
I've upgraded my hopes for Reid this year.
Although absolutely nothing turns on it I would love if Reid's stats were similar to Cousins and Judd in their third year.
In 1998 Cousins averaged 21.3 disposals and 0.9 goals a game. In 2004 Judd won the Brownlow averaging 21.8 disposals and 1.0 goal a game.
Reid, so far, is averaging 18.2 disposals and 0.8 goals a game, so a slight improvement on these numbers over the rest of the season would see him in line with two of our greatest in their third years.
As it currently sits, Reid's stats already line up with Judd's 2003 season quite well. Judd also averaged 18.2 disposals and 2.3 marks a game but kicked more goals (29 in total), however, he likely averaged less clearances, contested disposals, groundball gets and contested marks than Reid is currently averaging. And it wouldn't surprise me if Reid kicks 5+ goals in one of his games this year to inflate his total goals.
Of course maybe the above is wishful thinking, but an additional 3 disposals and kicking a goal a game for the rest of the season is well within the realms of possibility for Harley.

Nah, that's just the bigfooty nuffs. Most Freo supporters know their team and are fairly level headed, as it is classic Freo to stumble just as things are going well. The ones who were adults in the 90s mostly support West Coast as well, as they'd rather see a WA team win (or used to be Eagles supporters before Freo came in).

Some of the younger ones can get a bit toey, as they jumped on when Ross had them firing. Their spirit will be broken in time though.
It seems they are like this in person also, they made a song and dance about a complete spud like Lobb when he came back to Optus to play them, small minded stuff like turning their backs when he was kicking for goal, complete weirdness like we didn’t even do that with a champion like Judd..

It seems they are like this in person also, they made a song and dance about a complete spud like Lobb when he came back to Optus to play them, small minded stuff like turning their backs when he was kicking for goal, complete weirdness like we didn’t even do that with a champion like Judd..
They were also pretty thrilled that they were able to get players like Cameron McCarthy and Nathan Wilson for chips as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back