Team Captain
Oct 2, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, West Ham Utd,
Can anybody solve this dilemma?

Sure Zac Webster's no. 48 in the rookie draft would suggest there are some things to be worked on and some time needed, but, to be honest, he sounds exactly the kind of player we all want at Hawthorn - tough, relentless, unselfish, hard at it and the rest.

True, Wanganeen apparently turned it around in the second half of the year at Box Hill, going to the back half, & really coming on. He was also an emergency, on occasion, for the seniors & scribes predict possible promotion should circumstances demand. (Wanganeen taken at 33.)

But, why - in simple terms, why take Wanganeen then, & Webster 15 spots later. Were other teams looking at DW, & we felt we couldn't risk it; did we know something about Webster 'falling'. Everything I read suggests Webster is a great get; before we knew he was still training with us, everything else suggested Wanganeen was a goner.

I'll be honest Webster sounds like a steal, & you might have seen one 'draft page' where it's said ZW and Willsmore are a couple of gems (albeit within the rookie list context).

Like everyone else, I'm a big fan of 'Wrighty'. I'm just wondering what their thinking was.

Thanks, everyone. [Fingers-crossed, this looks a mighty fine off-season!]

There is a perception that there is a gentleman's agreement about re-rookie listing delisted same club players.

Renouf would be an example of this at Port Adelaide.

My best guess would be that another club said if you are fair dinkum about re listing him it had better be done no later than round 2 otherwise we will list him.

Great to see him in the brown and gold again.

With the Hawks losing Xavier Ellis to West Coast and Shane Savage to St Kilda, the inclusion of Ross is somewhat a vital one to add to the midfield depth.
Hawthorn also re-drafted Derick Wanganeen as a rookie and appears set to finally make his AFL debut in 2014, while Dallas Willsmore was also a handy draftee playing in the Savage-mould.
“We were unable to fit Derick Wanganeen on the primary list, but we were always keen to get him back as a rookie,” Hawks chief recruiter Graeme Wright said.

http://www.footballnation.com.au/afl/afl-clubs/hawks-look-to-get-the-best-out-of-ross/

With the Hawks losing Xavier Ellis to West Coast and Shane Savage to St Kilda, the inclusion of Ross is somewhat a vital one to add to the midfield depth.
Hawthorn also re-drafted Derick Wanganeen as a rookie and appears set to finally make his AFL debut in 2014, while Dallas Willsmore was also a handy draftee playing in the Savage-mould.
“We were unable to fit Derick Wanganeen on the primary list, but we were always keen to get him back as a rookie,” Hawks chief recruiter Graeme Wright said.

http://www.footballnation.com.au/afl/afl-clubs/hawks-look-to-get-the-best-out-of-ross/
We beat the Swans for the Premiership?

I can't see him getting a game next year unless we get significant injuries. Ross would be more likely, for mine.

There is a perception that there is a gentleman's agreement about re-rookie listing delisted same club players.

Renouf would be an example of this at Port Adelaide.

My best guess would be that another club said if you are fair dinkum about re listing him it had better be done no later than round 2 otherwise we will list him.

Great to see him in the brown and gold again.

Yeah, I'd assumed this was the case with re-rookie picks. It seems that if a player is required back onto the rookie list, other clubs let it happen.

It'd be interesting to know, to what level the clubs discuss the rookie selections with each other.

What was the swans ref about? It doesn't really matter, but i would suggest it would have confused most.o_O
Did you read the article
Obviously not
Second paragraph in!
"Last year, the Hawks chose Jonathon Simpkin, who played in the Premiership win over Sydney, after he was chopped by Geelong.

I'd suggest most would have read the article and understood my post very clearly
Something your probably about to do right now :thumbsu:

Did you read the article
Obviously not
Second paragraph in!
"Last year, the Hawks chose Jonathon Simpkin, who played in the Premiership win over Sydney, after he was chopped by Geelong.

I'd suggest most would have read the article and understood my post very clearly
Something your probably about to do right now :thumbsu:

Ah, a flaw in the article. Well spotted.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wanganeen is more of a chance this year with the loss of some depth.

But I thought the OP was on about why we didn't rate Webster a bit higher? I agree, I think he could be a real steal.

I can't see him getting a game next year unless we get significant injuries. Ross would be more likely, for mine.

They should all have their opportunity to earn a call up based on their performances at Box Hill. If they're good enough they should make the team. Plenty of very good players have built their careers that way.

Can anybody solve this dilemma?

Sure Zac Webster's no. 48 in the rookie draft would suggest there are some things to be worked on and some time needed, but, to be honest, he sounds exactly the kind of player we all want at Hawthorn - tough, relentless, unselfish, hard at it and the rest.

True, Wanganeen apparently turned it around in the second half of the year at Box Hill, going to the back half, & really coming on. He was also an emergency, on occasion, for the seniors & scribes predict possible promotion should circumstances demand. (Wanganeen taken at 33.)

But, why - in simple terms, why take Wanganeen then, & Webster 15 spots later. Were other teams looking at DW, & we felt we couldn't risk it; did we know something about Webster 'falling'. Everything I read suggests Webster is a great get; before we knew he was still training with us, everything else suggested Wanganeen was a goner.

I'll be honest Webster sounds like a steal, & you might have seen one 'draft page' where it's said ZW and Willsmore are a couple of gems (albeit within the rookie list context).

Like everyone else, I'm a big fan of 'Wrighty'. I'm just wondering what their thinking was.

Thanks, everyone. [Fingers-crossed, this looks a mighty fine off-season!]
Of course Webster is going to sound like an amazing player. When was the last time you heard a player who was drafted described as an average player/spud with no future at AFL level?

Hodgepodge's own Tom Schneider was described as tough, relentless, unselfish and hard at it amongst the rest. How did he turn out?

Of course Webster is going to sound like an amazing player. When was the last time you heard a player who was drafted described as an average player/spud with no future at AFL level?

Hodgepodge's own Tom Schneider was described as tough, relentless, unselfish and hard at it amongst the rest. How did he turn out?

This is pretty true. Every draftee is a gun/jet/star of the future/steal until they play their first game.

At this stage of the year all the rookies 'need some time but will be an integral part of the team and become 200 game players'. The reality is they won't all make it. What seems to be happening over recent times is the recruiters are getting better at it. I think this is best portrayed by the variety of sources of these players. The mainstream recruiting paths can only find a certain amount of players. So many are injured the week the recruiting eyes were there or played out of position etc.

I reckon Wanganeen could play round 1 based on his GF form. Will depend on injuries and form but he is clean quick and creative. Query is strength of body and having to out run an opponent over about 60m running back to goal.

You delisted Wanganeen and then gave him the dreaded #36 when re-rookied. HFC, are you trying to drop a hint?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back