MRP / Trib. Waters Offered Reprimand

Remove this Banner Ad

If we challenge, is it possible for Waters to miss more than 1 game?

Don't think so, no, but I doubt we'll challenge either way. Very few challenges, league wide, anymore. We should definitely go the challenge, but if not oh well, he misses GWS, bring in Butler or McGinnity.

If we challenge, is it possible for Waters to miss more than 1 game?
No, worst case is 125 points so that is one game + 25 carryover points for one year, + a 10% loading on all future offences for the next 3 years.

If he accepts, he gets the 25% discount, therefore reducing the 125 to 93.75 points that would hang over his head for 12 months but he can play this week, with no loading on future offences as it is under the 99 demerit point limit....

It is a tricky one, I honestly think he should go to the tribunal as he shouldn't have had a case to answer in the first place. Be interested to see what the Melbourne medical report said, that may be the issue here.

The future loading is concerning if he's found guilty, although 10% isn't the end of the world...

Ok just watched the MRP video released on afl.com, the Pavlich hit and the Waters hit are the same hit. It's clearly the Melbourne medical report putting Waters' hit into suspension territory and Sydney being a club of actual tough footballers that's keeping Pavlich free. Neither should go, they were both perfectly legal hits.

Grimes continued the game. Yes he went off, but he played a full half of bruise free football after, just another example of Melbourne being soft. Amazed Nathan Jones didn't appeal to have Masten rubbed out for his bone crunching tap to the forehead which left Jones unconscious, until he was awarded the free kick then he miraculously sprang up and kicked a goal. Bloody Melbourne.

The AFL changed the rule (not sure when)...essentially, if the "offending" player (Waters in this instance) has a CHOICE as to whether he hits the other player or not, and chooses to HIT, then it is reportable/case to be answered.

If Waters had no choice but to make contact, it is not reportable/no case to answer.

Ridiculous if you ask me...why did they ever take the legitimate "shirtfront" out of the game? Woosha was an awesome exponent of this, and we have Waters and Scooter who are more than capable of flattening a player (within the bounds of the old rules)...at the end of all arguing though, these are the rules to which the players must adhere.

This applies to players with possession, as Grimes did not have possession, what else could he do other than bump him?

This applies to players with possession, as Grimes did not have possession, what else could he do other than bump him?

cheers, I was uncertain about the rule.

What about if the ball is in dispute, and a player chooses to go for a bump rather than attack the ball. From the On The Couch discussion, I gathered that in this situation there is a case to answer. Again, not certain. Where are the rules of this game? Surely there's a document online like a PDF available...

I can't find a link, but I'm fairly sure the onus was changed at the end of last season that the bumper had to make sure he didn't get the bumpee high.

Kennedy was let off breaking Sylvia's jaw last year in a shepherd because the contact wasn't deemed unreasonable and he had no alternative - i don't think the AFL liked this and subsequenly changed the rule even further.

So basically now - if you bump and collect the bloke high - you are gone - pure and simple. A shepherd might onyl be negligent, but it will still go.

Also - it simply astounds me that journos couldn't work out why Waters hit was only low impact. Clearly the force of the hit was high, but the force to the head was only light, hence Grimes being about to carry on playing. If he'd got him flush in the head - neither Waters nor Grimes would be playing for a while

He simply stepped across Grimes path who was chasing with the usual Melbourne effort. However in one act the cheap high shots ceased as did any semblance of Melbourne resistance
Well enforced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bump is dead. Sometimes you can get away with, sometimes you can't. The reality is every time you bump someone, regardless of how perfectly you execute it, you're in a suspension raffle.

The only way to bump and not get suspended or reprimanded is if you do a little fairy bump were the other player gets straight back up.

Disappointed that there was no challenge, show a backbone WCE

Waters executed that as well as anyone could have hoped for.

I agree, should have been challenged.

In regards to the bump execution, remember Stengleins suspension in '05 for that 'hit' on that young bloke from Port Adelaide at home? Can't remember the players name, but he ran full tilt into Stenglein who was STATIONARY at the stoppage, he concussed himself and Stenglein got two weeks for it. Stupid decision, was just bad luck for the young bloke!

I think the club challenged that and had it reduced to a week (should have been wiped IMO), I am sure the club could have got the reprimand wiped if they had had of challenged.

Pathetic that we just meekly accept this crap from the AFL. Waters will bump someone else soon, and he'll end up copping 2 week because of these bullshit points.

Whitecross' looked worse than Waters', yet we didn't appeal and accepted a stupid reprimand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back