WANTED: Help for a book on tassie footy

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm guessing you are talking about Mick Worker?....

I believe they were the Parattah Robins, I may be wrong, but I remember many many trips to Parattah as a school aged footy nut to watch my uncles play.......

Nah not Mick Worker, it was a guy named Dave Barwick, he was a train mechanic from up that way back then and worked on farms as well, he's in his early 50's now.
I remember him telling me he played for Parattah back then.
Robins were they? I was close :D Knew they wore Essendon colours anyhow.

Ozguy said:
In that case you will be happy to know that SFL football will make its' debut at the ground next year

And all this ODFA talk is making me nostalgic.
Ahh excellent! Yeah I liked that ground, much like how I found my favourite ground in TFL football was Queenborough - small and tight but kinda homely.
I take it it will be the Central Hawks playing there?

JS#35 said:
Personally I miss the Tasman FA. :(
I miss all football being the way it was even 20 years ago.
Can't believe the mire it's all fallen into. Worse than bloody quicksand.

Personally I miss the Tasman FA.

Speaking of the Tasman FA does anyone know which grounds dodges played at from 79-92. Kenton said they played at Copping for a while but does anyone know the others.

Shark Park ;) it opened in about 1991 didn't it? Think it did. Can't recall the others we played at before then (there were a few). I'll try and find out

great pics norchy pies is the kempton ground going to be used next year

From what I've heard yes. I guess seeing the central hawks are a merger of Bothwell, Oatlands, and Kempton they would play some games there. They also have some clubrooms built on the side of the stand now. Might go up and take some pics withe the ground in use. Didn't really get to many pictures from Kempton or Oatlands compared to the others.

Shark Park it opened in about 1991 didn't it? Think it did. Can't recall the others we played at before then (there were a few). I'll try and find out

I have Buck Andertons book Football the country way with me here and it says that they moved to their current ground in 1993. Wouldn't have a clue where they played after that so that would be good if you could find out :)

kempton ground would be the best for them to use makes it better for the away teams less travel:thumbsu:there is old ground at woodsdale on the levendale road they played there before the one they play on now.:cool: the one they play on now was opened in 1977 i think

I have Buck Andertons book Football the country way with me here and it says that they moved to their current ground in 1993. Wouldn't have a clue where they played after that so that would be good if you could find out :)

Thought it was 91. Ah well, off by two years. I'll find out for you:thumbsu:

Will be hosting the Haws/Bunna game.

That is "East Coast Bombers" now.:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re Dodges playing grounds: Gave the old man a ring (he played a fair few seasons there in the 80s, 90s and early 00s. didn't finish up till he was 40 odd :eek::D). We used to play at Copping (already stated by Kenton) and also in Sorell. Mostly at the old ground which is health centre these days.

Happy new years to all you guys.

there is old ground at woodsdale on the levendale road they played there before the one they play on now. the one they play on now was opened in 1977 i think

Ok will have to ask some of the Woodsdale guys up there about it when I go up there.

Re Dodges playing grounds: Gave the old man a ring (he played a fair few seasons there in the 80s, 90s and early 00s. didn't finish up till he was 40 odd ). We used to play at Copping (already stated by Kenton) and also in Sorell. Mostly at the old ground which is health centre these days.

Thanks for that :). Ok so they played at Copping and the old sorell ground where the RSL is. I guess they moved over to Pembroke park with the Sorell FC.

dunalley played at copping for a year in the 90s because there was a fire in there clubrooms.the tasman was strong in the early 90s it had 9 teams for a year or 2 but fell away in the end and had 3 teams in its last year in 2001.its a sad day when a footy club goes

True...the Tasman was a pretty good league at its best. Dodges and Swansea both had some very strong sides and Triabunna did too. Had some great times watching that league growing up. Great atmosphere, great crowds, great blokes and the standard was alright. I miss it. Are you sure it was only 3 sides left in its last season? Thought it was Dodges, Bunna, Swansea and Richmond? Or did Richmond leave the year before? I remember Cambridge were still around until about 99. They were pretty shit in their last few seasons

True...the Tasman was a pretty good league at its best. Dodges and Swansea both had some very strong sides and Triabunna did too. Had some great times watching that league growing up. Great atmosphere, great crowds, great blokes and the standard was alright. I miss it. Are you sure it was only 3 sides left in its last season? Thought it was Dodges, Bunna, Swansea and Richmond? Or did Richmond leave the year before? I remember Cambridge were still around until about 99. They were pretty shit in their last few seasons

Richmond joined the OSFA in 2001 so Kenton was correct. Tasman FA had quite a few teams from other parts of southern tasmania in its later years. I think the ODFA is starting to become similar to the old TFA with the addition of the new peninsula team, Campbell town, and Swansea which aren't part of the Oatlands District.

1992 Tasman Football Association

Cambridge Magpies (Black & White)
Campania Wallabies (Green & Gold)
Dodges Ferry Sharks (Red, Yellow & Blue)
Dunalley Bulldogs (Red, White & Blue)
North Derwent Forresters (Blue & White)
Railway Blues (Royal Blue & White)
Richmond Lions (Navy Blue & White)
Triabunna Kangaroos (Maroon & White)

Richmond joined the TFA from the Southern Amateurs that season, Railway came out of recess under Danny Malone to put a team in the comp.
I think they played out at Clare Street "The Rec" in New Town.
PS: I can remember at one stage Richmond & Campania amalgamating and playing in the Southern Amateurs. Long time ago now though.

Just for you Ozguy.
1992 Oatlands District FA
Bothwell
Colebrook
Kempton
Mt Pleasant
Oatlands
Ross
Tunnack
Woodsdale

The local council had commenced works on resurfacing the Kempton Oval at the end of 1991 and the ground was off limits for the entire 1992 season.
The council had tried to build a temporary ground but it was found to be unsafe to play on, Bridgewater had gone into recess at the end of 1991 so Kempton were given permission to play out at Weilly Park for the '92 season only.

there was dodges swansea and risdonvale in the last year of the tasman bunna went to odfa in 2001

Ah, that's right. My memory has gone a bit foggy but I can't believe it was 10 years ago since the Tasman was around. However, I do remember Swansea kicking our arses all over the park in the granny (just like in the ressies grand final the year before). North Derwent had some good sides in the 90's.

Anyone know where I can find some ladders from the Tasman? Would love to have a look. :thumbsu:

1992 Tasman Football Association

Cambridge Magpies (Black & White)
Campania Wallabies (Green & Gold)
Dodges Ferry Sharks (Red, Yellow & Blue)
Dunalley Bulldogs (Red, White & Blue)
North Derwent Forresters (Blue & White)
Railway Blues (Royal Blue & White)
Richmond Lions (Navy Blue & White)
Triabunna Kangaroos (Maroon & White)

Richmond joined the TFA from the Southern Amateurs that season, Railway came out of recess under Danny Malone to put a team in the comp.
I think they played out at Clare Street "The Rec" in New Town.
PS: I can remember at one stage Richmond & Campania amalgamating and playing in the Southern Amateurs. Long time ago now though.

Just for you Ozguy.
1992 Oatlands District FA
Bothwell
Colebrook
Kempton
Mt Pleasant
Oatlands
Ross
Tunnack
Woodsdale

The local council had commenced works on resurfacing the Kempton Oval at the end of 1991 and the ground was off limits for the entire 1992 season.
The council had tried to build a temporary ground but it was found to be unsafe to play on, Bridgewater had gone into recess at the end of 1991 so Kempton were given permission to play out at Weilly Park for the '92 season only.

Thanks Kingpin, your information is excellent as usual. Think Richmond and campania merged in 1980 and finished in 1990. However you had Campania rejoin the Tasman FA in 1988 so even though Richmond still had the Campania added onto it for the 88-90 seasons they were not combined anymore from what I understand.

Had never seen that info about the Kempton Oval. Will add it and look into it a bit when I got to the state library tuesday.

australian rules football tas wikipedia,has tasman ass click on that got the 1998 ladder and former teams ect:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back