Suspended
Sep 28, 2005
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo,
Calib Mourish with 6 on the weekend

Calib Mourish kicked 6 on the weekend in a scratch match against East Perth to be the Sharks best.

Considering he was unable to make the league team for most of last year, this is a big improvement for him, even if it is for a scratch match. He looks to be a lot fitter than he was previously in all the photos I've seen of him.

Has anyone seen him in action at training or in a preseason game?

Does anyone think that he has a chance to take that spot that Murphy and Campbell can't cement?

Re: Calib Mourish with 6 on the weekend

Great news. I saw him a few times during the summer and he looked good. I reckon he might be a go-er with a bit of time and patience.

Any chance Ripper or sabre, we could get that "WAFL Performances" thread stickied again? :thumbsu:

He still has the "potential" label on him, and I think he is a fantastic player to have on the Rookie list.

Saw him down at training tonight and all reports are correct. In fact it took me a while to recognise him. I think he will have to play consistently in the WAFL before getting a game. He is perhaps the biggest smoky in the AFL. Nobody really knows what he is capable of. Maybe getting delisted was what he needed to give him a bit of motivation to realise that this is perhaps his only chance.

Matt Carr won't be named to take on the Pies.
That's my prediction, and for gawdsakes I hope I'm right.
We need some attacking blokes in there, and Crowley is on notice as well.
Midfield : Headland, J Carr, Palmer, 211

Palmer in just to give him a taste, then on the bench.

Calib Mourish kicked 6 on the weekend in a scratch match against East Perth to be the Sharks best.

Considering he was unable to make the league team for most of last year, this is a big improvement for him, even if it is for a scratch match. He looks to be a lot fitter than he was previously in all the photos I've seen of him.

Has anyone seen him in action at training or in a preseason game?

Does anyone think that he has a chance to take that spot that Murphy and Campbell can't cement?

Just what we need our rookies to be doing.

Turn up the heat Calib!

I knew he'd kick a bag soon, we had double or nothing on that scratch match didn't we FreoAzz?

;)

Dreams are a funny thing Dom. Sometimes, you think they're real when they're not. You still owe me a beer and a dollar. But if you want a beer, I would partake.

Cause i'm great like that. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Duke Webland was one of East Perth's best too. 31 touches I heard. Hopefully he can keep racking them up and put heaps of pressure on the midfielders in the 22.

Just cannot see it happening, and if it does then we are probably in serious strife. He just does not have the arsenal for AFL.

Just cannot see it happening, and if it does then we are probably in serious strife. He just does not have the arsenal for AFL.

How so? He's aggressive, wins his own ball, knows where to find it, has impeccable disposal and does everything for the good of the team. It was only last year that he gave Andrew McLeod an absolute pantsing.

How so? He's aggressive, wins his own ball, knows where to find it, has impeccable disposal and does everything for the good of the team. It was only last year that he gave Andrew McLeod an absolute pantsing.

Actually I was astonished at his game on McLeod, and he also played well in THAT final. I do not believe that McLeod was fully fit in that game, but Webster still did the job required. But the remainder of his games have been pretty barren. He does do everything for the team and he is aggressive. He does not find enough of the ball to be a midfielder, and is not fast enough either. As a forward he did nothing, and in fairness was a decoy.

Webster is depth. He is no longer an emerging player and has failed to force his way into the best 25.

Actually I was astonished at his game on McLeod, and he also played well in THAT final. I do not believe that McLeod was fully fit in that game, but Webster still did the job required. But the remainder of his games have been pretty barren. He does do everything for the team and he is aggressive. He does not find enough of the ball to be a midfielder, and is not fast enough either. As a forward he did nothing, and in fairness was a decoy.

Webster is depth. He is no longer an emerging player and has failed to force his way into the best 25.

I agree that he's depth, but if he kills the pig for the Royals, he deserves a spot, no? He is older and no longer emerging, but just like everyone else, I think if he dominates the WAFL he deserves a crack. Especially if someone in the 22 is not performing.

Got this from yesterday's Worst:

EP d EF

EP
Webster 31 possessions and a goal and named in EP's best.

EF
Mourish 6 out of their 12 goals and named as their best player.

WP d P

WP
Bradley and Connelly 2 goals each; Warnock 1 goal and BOG.

P
Drum 1 goal... can't remember if he was mentioned in their best, don't think he was.

No Freo players mentioned in any of the other games (SD d S; C d PT; SF intra club - no stats given).

Your view on Webster is similar to my current opinion of Gilmore.

Happy did well when thrown into the ruck last year but if Warnie and Sandi are both available I'd have those two on par for a spot in the 22. Gilmore is quicker but Webster is a better kick and a much stronger tackler.

WP d P

WP
Bradley and Connelly 2 goals each; Warnock 1 goal and BOG.

P
Drum 1 goal... can't remember if he was mentioned in their best, don't think he was.

That's my boy.

I've heard a few suggestions Nockers shouldn't play round 1 because of Collingwood's weak ruck division. I don't agree. A young player like him could do with any confidence boosts that might come from dominating against less talented opponents.

If we are concerned about overloading him then I would rather he misses games against teams with powerhouse ruck divisions. It sounds a little strange to rest a ruckman when we need him the most but bear with me.

Why expose Nockers to the inevitable hammering he will receive from the Lade/Brogan combos of the world when we can just throw Gilmore in as the sacrificial lamb? He's far less important to our future than Nockers and he adds an extra midfielder on the ground after the tap.

Obviously Warnock needs to be exposed to the best to improve - but not quite yet. He's still a work in progress and there's plenty of time for him to pit his talents against the monster ruckmen from 09 onwards once he's got a few more games and kilos under his belt.

And remember - he's my buddy so I know what's best for him. ;)

That's my boy.

I've heard a few suggestions Nockers shouldn't play round 1 because of Collingwood's weak ruck division. I don't agree. A young player like him could do with any confidence boosts that might come from dominating against less talented opponents.

If we are concerned about overloading him then I would rather he misses games against teams with powerhouse ruck divisions. It sounds a little strange to rest a ruckman when we need him the most but bear with me.

Why expose Nockers to the inevitable hammering he will receive from the Lade/Brogan combos of the world when we can just throw Gilmore in as the sacrificial lamb? He's far less important to our future than Nockers and he adds an extra midfielder on the ground after the tap.

Obviously Warnock needs to be exposed to the best to improve - but not quite yet. He's still a work in progress and there's plenty of time for him to pit his talents against the monster ruckmen from 09 onwards once he's got a few more games and kilos under his belt.

And remember - he's my buddy so I know what's best for him. ;)

Here, here esti. I'll be more disappointed if Warnock's not out there than Palmer :)o I think I may be on my own there though) A lot of people don't seem to rate ruckmen these days, but you only have to go back to the likes of Salmon and the Madden's to see what they can provide. Sandi and Nockers will need to be managed very carefully throughout the year (possibly moreso than any others), but I'm confident that they can both get through. Our midfield is our greatest weakness - these two can help turn that around.

Happy did well when thrown into the ruck last year but if Warnie and Sandi are both available I'd have those two on par for a spot in the 22. Gilmore is quicker but Webster is a better kick and a much stronger tackler.

He is a better tackler, and if Solomon wasn't already in the team that would be important. He has been played as a negator/decoy in the forward line, which is similar to Solomon, but I just cannot see the role for him midfield. We have a heap of slows in there already.

Agree that if he is doing really well at WAFL then he gets considered, but struggle to see the position. In contrast I can see Gilmore midfield/wing, and half-forward.

Gilmore dominated end of last season.Webster has never dominated and has never been anything more than serviceable.Also Gilmore is a much more penetrating kick.

Gilmore dominated end of last season.Webster has never dominated and has never been anything more than serviceable.

I wouldn't say he dominated, but he played well as a ruckman last year. We are yet to see him play well consistently in any other role at AFL level.

Also Gilmore is a much more penetrating kick.

Gilmore probably can kick longer than Webster, but I'd back Webster to hit a leading target over Happy any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back