Video game catchall

Remove this Banner Ad

And after finally finishing FF7 I've made the trip back to Pelican Town and Stardew Valley. I've got a new farm going (trying to woo Harvey again, and yes, I know it's unhealthy to have such an attachment to a video game character), unfortunately I've picked a quest where Harvey wants an Octopus which given I only have a fibreglass rod at the moment is proving difficult to catch. This will be the third time I've tried the 8th day of Summer trying to get one...

Want to give co-op a try one day too.

As we all have probably surmised, Danganronpa is my new interest. Unfortunately I don't have a PS Vita and I doubt my laptop could run in (and why don't they make mice with cables anymore? I always lose my wireless mice!) but the lore is amazing and I'd love to play all of them at least once. Watched the first anime and I'm currently watching a let's play of the second. Very morbid, but it does make you think about the value people put on "talent"...

Davemonkey I reinstalled Rimworld today (first time since it went to 1.0).

Now I'm all confused about mods. Half of the ones I had going before 1.0 are now redded out and I am unsure what I need and dont.

Did the 1.0 release incorporate a lot of the functionality from these mods anyway?

Davemonkey I reinstalled Rimworld today (first time since it went to 1.0).

Now I'm all confused about mods. Half of the ones I had going before 1.0 are now redded out and I am unsure what I need and dont.

Did the 1.0 release incorporate a lot of the functionality from these mods anyway?
Whoops kept meaning to respond and forgot/too busy/too busy conquering the Mediterranean or walking the Wasteland.

Everytime I start a new game I just enable what works and what doesn't with the current patch. There is always functionality gaps being filled by mods so I still play with them.

My current must have gameplay/content mods (so not enabling mods you might need) are:
  • Realistic Rooms - scales the room happiness requirements back to a more reasonable level
  • Facial Stuff with Camera+ and Rimface - nicer pawns
  • Predator Hunt Alert - save your chickens when the bear comes calling
  • Hospitality - guests. Recruitable Guests.
  • While You're Up - a simple thing that makes pawns haul stuff near them on their way to another job (may have been incorporated as it hasn't been updated for yonks)

I think Control is the best piece of work Remedy have put together since the Max Payne days. Such a cool, well-realised world full of brutalist architecture and supernatural lore obscured by government redactions and bureaucracy. It's also not afraid to be unapologetically weird in points which I always appreciate.

Floating around arenas as a woman who can rip chunks of concrete out of the wall and throw them at enemies is a good way to handle combat too. Runs very poorly on the stock PS4 but highly recommended otherwise.

Certainly on my bargain watch list.

I tried Void Bastards on Xbox Game Pass and if a System Shock Roguelike with Mike Mignola aesthetics appeals I can recommend.

Also Slay the Spire has made its wat to consoles and is still such an amazing roguelike deckbuilder. Best of breed.

I think Control is the best piece of work Remedy have put together since the Max Payne days. Such a cool, well-realised world full of brutalist architecture and supernatural lore obscured by government redactions and bureaucracy. It's also not afraid to be unapologetically weird in points which I always appreciate.

Floating around arenas as a woman who can rip chunks of concrete out of the wall and throw them at enemies is a good way to handle combat too. Runs very poorly on the stock PS4 but highly recommended otherwise.

Remedy remain one of the true originals.

I loved Alan Wake too. Underrated.

I've spent a decent chunk of today playing The Outer Worlds. Very enjoyable so far.

Firefly meets Fallout. Hard to go wrong with that combination.

Im keen to play but might put it on my xmas list. Busy with Borderlands 3 still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're looking a little smaller scale, more casual, Bad North is nice and fun. Tower defense sort of game except with troops rather than towers.

Free on Epic Games this week too.

Video Games
Jedi Fallen Order is a great game and a great Star wars game. It's a melee based Uncharted/Tomb Raider (which are just fancy Metroidvanias) heavy on Star Wars theme and story. I have bailed on the more average Star Wars games that fall down in either gameplay, theme or story so I'm not that much of a completionist (Youtube is for cut scenes ... I am looking at you Star Wars The Force Unleashed), but the melee combat is inspired by Dark Souls without being as frustratingly punishing (old men can play on lower difficulty settings), and of course unlike DS you don't have arseholes invading your world.

Highly recommended.

I'm kind of regretting getting it on PS4 rather than on my 2080 super driven PC, because there is a fair bit of frame drop and performance issues. I've never played a Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Nioh past the first level, but I'm playing this on the second hardest difficulty... I saw a lot of people complain about Ogdo Bogdo online but he was easy as pie to cheese, it's the dual wielding purge-troopers that can suck a dick... When I get tense I go into button mashing mode and end up having to repeat the same sections, I guess it's designed to try to give you the mindfulness of a jedi. I've only done two planets so far.

I find the choppiness on XBox One X only happens in zone transitions and smooths out before you enter a fight. You on a PS4 Pro Caiphus ? I wonder if the older XBone models suffer similar problems?

I was frustrated by the Ogdo Bogdo until I left him and came back with a bit more in the way of resources. Agree on the Purge Troopers. Second Sister is a fairer fight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back