VFL VFL team, Sandringham alignment & player development

Remove this Banner Ad

Gifted? Lol. He had 4-5 good VFL games in a row to earn those two games.

Let's forget his first two pre-seasons he did **** all because of wrist surgery.

You don't say someone is "a bloody important player" if you plan on delisting them anytime soon
You do if you want a good low drift pick for him

In a sense, Spencer is an important player because if he can harness his prodigious skill, then he could be anything.

However, like every other player on the list, his future is in his hands.

Whilst aligned with Melbourne Sand won 4 premierships in 7 years

They embraced that OK

StK have caused major issues in the alignment

Simon McPhee helped in that area...

Box Hill has the best model imo

Whilst aligned with Melbourne Sand won 4 premierships in 7 years

They embraced that OK

StK have caused major issues in the alignment

Simon McPhee helped in that area...

Box Hill has the best model imo

do box hill have a cap? do they carry kids in the seniors to get them game time in the right position?

From what I can gather, Saunders was dropped to the Development Squad due to an indiscretion. Payne, Goddard and McCartin all rested. White and Pierce played seniors due to Templeton and Shenton being called up yesterday.

The 15-8 rule has been in for a couple of years now. Causes issues when St Kilda don't have a lot of injuries as was the case this week.

But full credit to Saunders for his attitude today...no dummy spits..just got on with the job he had to do
Sorry am I reading this right, there's a cap on Saints listed players at the Zebs such that we have young developing players not even getting a game of footy this week?

Not slight on Sandy but that is ludicrous. Goddard and McCartin need to be playing every single week, they are hugely important players for us and the quicker their development curve the better.

Sorry am I reading this right, there's a cap on Saints listed players at the Zebs such that we have young developing players not even getting a game of footy this week?

Not slight on Sandy but that is ludicrous. Goddard and McCartin need to be playing every single week, they are hugely important players for us and the quicker their development curve the better.
They will all get a game. Some will play in development league though.

This cap isn't set in stone. Basically, St Kilda have the right to force Sandringham to select up to X number of St Kilda listed players in the team each and every week. If the Saints would like more than that number to play, they can ask Sandringham if they would be happy to accommodate these extra players; there may even be a deal made, e.g Sandy really don't want a particular player in their structures, so they ask the Saints to pull that player in exchange for allowing a few extra in.
On top of this, Sandringham can still pick whichever players they want, pending availability. So, if St Kilda have filled their quota of players without including McCartin and Goddard, but Sandy want one of them (or both) to play, then they're more than welcome to select them out of their own quota.

Yes, this isn't ideal for our club, but at the end of the say, Sandringham are a club of their own; they existed before us, and they will exist after us. In regards to the latter, they have full justification to employ this player cap; in previous years, when St Kilda and full reign, Sandy players were not only being deprived of development, but there was also a lack of drive to apply themselves, since their effort was almost never rewarded with selection, and resulted in numerous departures of a number of strong players, as they simply wren't being given a go.
Sandy need to make sure that they not only have a *good* player base, post-St Kilda, but actually have one at all. Plus, it doesn't exactly hurt us to have this; if Sandy players know there are spots up for grabs, they'll work hard, thus improving themselves, which can only result in improved team performances, and therefore a better quality of development for our kids playing there.

As it turned out I believe only 14 Saints played for Sandy this week, one less than the cap.

Saunders however would still have suffered; there's just too many players all aiming for the same positions at the moment with everyone fit. You've got all the mids, then the entire Saints small forward brigade playing some MF to prove to Richo they can do it, then there's the Sandy captain Cockie, Clint Jones, and Kenny Ong who I reckoned was unlucky not to get rookied by someone. There's just not a lot of space for a mid especially one who is showing concerns over disposal.

I completely concede at this point however that the relationship is done and they have to go their separate ways. I wish it didn't need to be that way - I believe it could have worked. But I believe Saints shafting Sandy in 2012-13 ruined the relationship, and whilst everyone was apparently really happy with it working as a healthy 2-way operation last year, Sandy are now making decisions that are best for their own future as they know Saints are going to walk at end of next year.

If our players cannot get a game in front of the 15 they are competing with... They are a fair bit off AFL seniors... So Sandy twos won't kill them!!!

They run hard... Get 30+ or kick goals or defend strongly

Saunders performed well
White did not.

The development team serves a purpose

My point
If your good enough you pick yourself

As stated
I'm in favour of the alignment

I'd love to see how our twos would go without
Cockie, Cooke, Jones, Brown
In years gone by
Shepard, Marigliani, Magner, Lourey, Summers, Dowler, Sautner, Harrison, Carroll, Matthews, Carmody, Wall, Rigg, Caples

I'll tell you how
Flogged
Those players have held our twos to respectable results for a decade and protected the kids
Particularly inside mids
Harrison and Carroll... 5 B&fs
Magner and Cockie ... 3 B&Fs

Yep.

Coach says last night he is a "bloody important player".

Gone at the end of 2015 for sure.

In the end, as part of future fest, he was given a 1 year extension till end of 2015. That says more than the coach. The coach isn't the owner of list management.

I've heard that White and Murdoch got dropped to the VFL reserves due to number quota and just didn't rock up.....?

Any truth to this ?
White has an ankle injury at the moment according to others on the board so I doubt that somewhat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would kind of make sense, he hasn't been on the Injury list at all, someone posted (cant remeber who) that they had to tweet the club multiple times to get a answer.

sounds like absolute horse shit coming out of the club IMO

if there was an ankle issue they would have been open about it like every other player

somethings up

MURDOCH GOES NOWHERE!

Unless its in a trade to get Lever/Danger/Wines over here ;)

MURDOCH GOES NOWHERE!

Unless its in a trade to get Lever/Danger/Wines over here ;)
Murdoch would go to any team if they told him he would be best 22 IMO.

Likelihood of that is close to 0 tho

Remove this Banner Ad

Back