VFL competition is a mess

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointed for my favourite VFL team Willy today. Did nothing wrong. Finished minor premier, won their first final and had to play Port (who finished fourth) at port's home ground in the Prelim. Vastly unfair. A scenario AFL supporters would not put up with. Yes you can call me a whinger but thats unfair. Yes, the VFL is a mess.

Disappointed for my favourite VFL team Willy today. Did nothing wrong. Finished minor premier, won their first final and had to play Port (who finished fourth) at port's home ground in the Prelim. Vastly unfair. A scenario AFL supporters would not put up with. Yes you can call me a whinger but thats unfair. Yes, the VFL is a mess.

Shouldn't have been at Port, was very unfair. Couldn't have been at Willi either, far too small, would've been many people locked out. Should've been at Coburg.

Shouldn't have been at Port, was very unfair. Couldn't have been at Willi either, far too small, would've been many people locked out. Should've been at Coburg.

Willy is not too small. Could have have easily accomodated that 4k crowd today. Willy has accomodated far bigger crowds than that over the years. Willy have had home finals over the years why not today? Annoyed and disappointed. Hope Port win the the GF but fair is fair.

Yeah i'm all for holding it a neutral ground like they have been, but it can't be the other teams home ground! Otherwise just let teams play home finals like they do in the AFL

Yeah i'm all for holding it a neutral ground like they have been, but it can't be the other teams home ground! Otherwise just let teams play home finals like they do in the AFL

For 120 years Port at Port is probably the most profound home ground advantage in Victoria outside the AFL. Good luck to Port but Willy finished minor premier. Dont tell me ch7 want it at Port. They have been to Willy before. Only 15 mins from the city. Would love love to hear from fair minded Port supporters. Good luck next week ( from a fellow VFA supporter) but tell me with without your one eyed port glasses on why todays game had to be at port ( wont accept that AFL Vic want it there, have asked them as well). I want a fair competition thats all.

Willy is not too small. Could have have easily accomodated that 4k crowd today. Willy has accomodated far bigger crowds than that over the years. Willy have had home finals over the years why not today? Annoyed and disappointed. Hope Port win the the GF but fair is fair.

In the past sure, but the way the outer is landscaped nowadays there wouldn't be a snowflakes

Appreciate your reply but willy TODAY could easily handle 7k. Not vastly different from 50 years ago.

Either way we both agree you were stiff to have to play at Port today. Here's hoping you have another good season next year and my Coburg can give the 8 a shake.

For 120 years Port at Port is probably the most profound home ground advantage in Victoria outside the AFL. Good luck to Port but Willy finished minor premier. Dont tell me ch7 want it at Port. They have been to Willy before. Only 15 mins from the city. Would love love to hear from fair minded Port supporters. Good luck next week ( from a fellow VFA supporter) but tell me with without your one eyed port glasses on why todays game had to be at port ( wont accept that AFL Vic want it there, have asked them as well). I want a fair competition thats all.

I agree Port at Port is a tough game especially in finals but let's remember:
-Ground in super condition
-3 entrances into the ground. *most grounds only have 1 and can't accommodate bigger crowds.
-Most importantly the ground is central and easy to get to for supporters.
-Decent grandstand in a central location on the wing.
-You can stand anywhere around the ground and get a great view.
-Lots of parking in surrounding streets and Bunnings.

I think mainly it's very central for most people (including neutral supporters) to get to and has 3 entrance gates.

Only downside at Port is they need to put up some more toilets and beer vans and possibly run a BBQ and put on some kids activities on the hill.

Willys ground is just to cold & Windy and if it rains most wouldn't attend and it would be a horrible standard game. Willy has some area's where the car park is, where you can't go. It's not ideal for finals of the importance of preliminary finals.
Not much parking either.

I think it's unfortunate for willy that you had to play us at home for your home game.

The condition of the ground is the big reason the league hold the prelims at North Port oval. We lose home games during the season (have had few in Frankston recently) because we have to have the ground in top condition for this time of year.

Yesterday it did give us the advantage unfairly and we have been at disadvantage during H/A seasons because of this arrangement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree Port at Port is a tough game especially in finals but let's remember:
-Ground in super condition
-3 entrances into the ground. *most grounds only have 1 and can't accommodate bigger crowds.
-Most importantly the ground is central and easy to get to for supporters.
-Decent grandstand in a central location on the wing.
-You can stand anywhere around the ground and get a great view.
-Lots of parking in surrounding streets and Bunnings.

I think mainly it's very central for most people (including neutral supporters) to get to and has 3 entrance gates.

Only downside at Port is they need to put up some more toilets and beer vans and possibly run a BBQ and put on some kids activities on the hill.

Willys ground is just to cold & Windy and if it rains most wouldn't attend and it would be a horrible standard game. Willy has some area's where the car park is, where you can't go. It's not ideal for finals of the importance of preliminary finals.
Not much parking either.

Reckon your analysis is spot on however as a Willie supporter I do reckon its grossly unfair [Played at Burbank I reckon Willie win]. However I would point out two things:
1) The league only cares about the crowd because it lines their pockets.
2) Burbank could easily accommodate the size of crowd in attendance on Sunday.

Reckon your analysis is spot on however as a Willie supporter I do reckon its grossly unfair [Played at Burbank I reckon Willie win]. However I would point out two things:
1) The league only cares about the crowd because it lines their pockets.
2) Burbank could easily accommodate the size of crowd in attendance on Sunday.
It was painful watching Willy go down at North Port on the weekend. I stood in the outer amognst mostly Port fans. Ports 1st quarter won it for them. We actually won the last 3 quarters by a point I think. Congrats Port. I thought we'd win anyway. Anything goes between these two clubs wherever its played in the close to 40 years I've been attending these two go at it. Being played at Port isn't too dissimilar to Melbourne winning all those flags in the 50s & 60s on their home deck at the MCG. Go Borough next week.

Back to the GF being played at Docklands. Joke joke joke. The spirit & atmosphere of the whole year is lost on what should be the pinnacle of the comp on GF day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back