Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

It took some time for me to understand why a 'router' for your computer was called what it was because I'd never seen it written down at first and I'd never heard route pronounced any other way than 'root'!

What do the Americans call the things that attach plants to the ground if they're so easily offended? :p
Router (row-ter: electronic device) is acceptable, as is rout (rowt: defeat or drive off). But I can’t see any other explanation for changing the pronunciation of route from root to rowt other than people’s sensibilities.

I don't think Americans have a problem with "root" as such, after all they root for their sport teams. I think "root" as a "naughty" word is an Aussie thing - maybe British too?
Yeah they do 😀. They all say rowt - why? After popularising a song like “I get my kicks on Route 66.” Even a TV show of the same name. Not Rowt 66.

Australians are just copying them. Like “Do the math.” And “I could care less.” I’m hearing them more often too 🙄

I don't think Americans have a problem with "root" as such, after all they root for their sport teams. I think "root" as a "naughty" word is an Aussie thing - maybe British too?
What about the yanks calling a backside a fanny.......hard to get your head around that one when you consider what Australians think a fanny is.....

What about the yanks calling a backside a fanny.......hard to get your head around that one when you consider what Australians think a fanny is.....
I’ve heard they don’t like “behind” either, but they don’t have a problem calling someone a “bum”. 🤔

Listened to The Sounding Board podcast today and early in, Hutchy is hanging it on Barrett over his “beard with the grey freckles”.
I think he meant flecks.
Then later on he was talking about Mitch Johnson and the different groups in the Australian cricket side. It sounded like he said “there’s the bowling group and the batting group and neither the train will meet”.

Listened to The Sounding Board podcast today and early in, Hutchy is hanging it on Barrett over his “beard with the grey freckles”.
I think he meant flecks.
Then later on he was talking about Mitch Johnson and the different groups in the Australian cricket side. It sounded like he said “there’s the bowling group and the batting group and neither the train will meet”.
Ha! I haven't listened to it yet, so I'll keep an ear out for the second one. :grinv1: He used "ostensibly" incorrectly yet again a couple of weeks ago. He said "Chris Grant has ostensibly been a Bulldogs person for a long time." That's EXACTLY what Chris Grant has been, not "seemingly on the surface, but most likely not", or whatever the precise definition is

Last edited:
I think he meant flecks.
Yes, he said "...and never the train shall meet". :tongueout: 5m15s into the episode

Last edited:
"Root" is used for kick in Ireland. Translate "That Bailey Smith needs a good kick up the bum" and try and keep a straight face.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back