Vale Shane Warne

Remove this Banner Ad

Just curious - were they selling beers at the memorial? I kind of can't decide if it would be inappropriate or highly appropriate.

No alcohol at State Funerals/Memorials

Sent from my Louis Vuitton Jaffle Maker

It was Warne that was funny with Steve, Steve has never had a issue with Shane, even when Shane threw stones Steve never returned fire, just a simple "no comment".
Yeah, it was always very much a one-sided feud, I think Waugh might have tried to defend himself once but otherwise he had no interest in fighting. Such a shame that Warney never accepted that a grudge is where you pork your cor.

I shed several tears here, especially listening to his dad and his kids. AB as well, he was always such a stoic figure on the field but has clearly been hit hard by the deaths of both Warne and Marsh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This might not be the right thread for it but what was the problem?
Warne had major shoulder surgery in 1998 and the tour of the West Indies in 1999 was his first Test series back, he was badly underdone and was getting belted everywhere against Brian Lara, who was batting out of his skin, and the Windies were up 2-1 with one Test to play. Waugh (captain), Warne (vice captain) and somebody else (Marsh? AB?) were the three selectors on tour and it was a 2-1 call to drop Warne for the last Test, Warne pleaded his case to keep his spot and he never forgave Waugh for not backing him in. He bottled it in while they still played together but after they both retired he made it very clear how hurt he was by the decision.

Lara mentioning Bob Holland was a throwback. That's a name I haven't heard in a really long time.
I had the opportunity to play against Bob maybe 15 years ago because he was mates with some friends. Great guy and even at 60, he was still a great bowler, ripping leg breaks at right angles. Died of brain cancer about 5 years ago if memory serves me correctly.

90's/2000's cricket was so much better, so many great players.

Today statistically there are some great players like Steve Smith, averaging 60 but it's not the same, his not a personality or a entertainer.

I seen Steve Smith out once, he just looked around awkwardly playing on his phone when there were fans genuinely attempting to interact with him, different times I guess.

Last edited:
You have to love Nasser Hussain, he was such a hard prick when he played but his a out and out gentlemen.

AB , Taylor and Lara were all good but Nasser just nailed it with his words.

Thoroughly impressed by his class and dignity.

Played the aggrieved , self deprecating Pom brilliantly

I liked the Saints trumpet and the triumphal unveiling at the end, what a way to end the show. That's a send-off.
That was special.
Said to my wife Warnie would have loved that moment, trumpet playing his teams anthem, middle of the pitch and then his kids playing their role with the unveiling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back