News Vale Matt Rendell

Remove this Banner Ad

I can recall an interview with a very young Matt Rendell when I was driving between Paris Creek and Strathalbyn way back in 1980 or 81 when he was still playing for West Torrens, and he was a very interesting bloke to listen to.
From memory the interview was on ABC radio and revolved around his proposed move to Fitzroy.

RIP
Matt Rendell

Very sad to hear the news when I jumped in the car about 3.50 yesterday and Jade Robran was in tears talking to Tredders about Matt. Jade and her husband Ben Williams run a player manager firm and knew Matt well through that.

Choco talked about him when he spoke to Tredders later on, or maybe it was when he was on SEN. They were state of origin teammates, both headed off to Victoria at the end of 1980 season and both became captains of Vic clubs, both played for the Bears but Matt got there the year after Choco left and he was Choco's assistant in 2000 and 2001, before his old teammate Grant Thomas from Fitzroy became coach of St Kilda and pinched him to be his main assistant.

Could you imagine a selection committee meeting, or player review, or recruiting meeting with Choco, Matt and Phil Walsh, and them all not being in agreeance?? Would have been fiery, but entertaining if you could watch or listen in..

He was captain of Fitzroy in 1986 when they finished 3rd, won 2 finals both by less than 6 pts and it was the club's last hurrah before a decade downward spiral. The bloke was a bloody good player and was a smart player. He was pretty mobile for a 200cm guy. You look at that 1985-87 Fitzroy list, they made him captain at 25, and you know he had to be good to leap over so many of them.

I enjoyed his stuff on trade radio and general footy stuff the last 5 years where he left clubland and was in demand. He said some outrageous stuff on trade radio, but I think it was a bit deliberate to get people's attention.

He took a massive punt taking Dangerfield over Ebert when he was head recruiter at Adelaide. He was proved right that he would be a better player.

I enjoyed his stuff Sunday morning's on FootySA. When he reviewed Port's season and midfield after we got smashed by the Bulldogs in the prelim, he said Port has to get Butters and Rozee into the mid field as we needed the 3rd and 4th wheel in the middle to get at least 25 disposal to help out Boak and Wines. We didn't start the 2022 seasons with them in there, and went 0-5.

The constant thing that came thru last night listening to people talk about him, was that he was very bright, but also very funny, was a bit blue with the jokes, a bit eccentric and left field, but would be laser focused when he had to assess a player. He could be blunt, but geez he had a great memory and could recall players he went and saw play 20 years ago and what he wrote in his player report. I will miss him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back