Arts & Humanities Vale Fidel Castro.

Remove this Banner Ad

So apart from setting up a family-run dictatorship, the labour camps, the political executions, persecuting gays, heavily censored media, restrictions on freedom of expression and assembly, blocked internet - he was a pretty good bloke?

Plenty of people will let that stuff slide as show long as you stick it to those filthy capitalist pigs.

Appreciate what you say, and I do see your point. Perhaps you could say that the blood on Castro's hands was without the degree of separation that was enjoyed by other world leaders.

Yes, that's fair. Particularly in Reagan's case.

The reality is this man removed american organized crime gangs and the CIA drug runners and terrorists.

Then the Americans (with the help of the mafia pissed they lost so much money, the same mafia that supported mussolini and hitler) and British turned on him and did not care what they did to try and kill him and his country.

His response was to build the best health and education system in the world for his people.

No leader has such an astounding legacy as fidel castro.

This is the age of information, if you wish to believe otherwise, then you have a lot in common with neo nazis.

I think you're full of s**t.

You'ere jealous that Cuba has a better health system than Australia.

I've worked in healthcare here and in the U.K. for more than 20 years. I'll happily admit both systems are flawed.

Cuba have created a nationalised system for healthcare, immunisation (externally subsidised until the Soviets collapsed). I'll give credit for providing healthcare but it, like any system it's far from perfect. It's A system in which you can get better access if you have US dollars.

The Cuban protected the Angolans for the Afrikaners only to drive them into the arms of the MPLA, who have ruled Angolan as a one party state ever since. Amnesty International and a HRW think the MPLA are great at torture, abuse of due process and they've been accused of rigging elections. Google "Halloween Massacre Angola".

Very good of them to provide aid to others and the Chernobyl kids.

http://www.ipsnews.net/2009/05/health-chernobyl-kids-keep-arriving-in-cuba/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/26/fidel-castro-cia-cigar-assasination-attempts

This is why Messenger wants to gloss over political executions.

You're the one quoting Mandela. Castro was happy to execute his political opponents.

Are you into organized crime Messenger ? I had to ask because what you're saying in here is protecting them.

Straw man.

So little graham lets get your view on the executions, the labour camps, lack of press freedom, etc.

Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada on the death of former Cuban President Fidel Castro

November 26, 2016

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today issued the following statement on the death of former Cuban President Fidel Castro:

“It is with deep sorrow that I learned today of the death of Cuba’s longest serving President.

“Fidel Castro was a larger than life leader who served his people for almost half a century. A legendary revolutionary and orator, Mr. Castro made significant improvements to the education and healthcare of his island nation.

“While a controversial figure, both Mr. Castro’s supporters and detractors recognized his tremendous dedication and love for the Cuban people who had a deep and lasting affection for “el Comandante”.

“I know my father was very proud to call him a friend and I had the opportunity to meet Fidel when my father passed away. It was also a real honour to meet his three sons and his brother President Raúl Castro during my recent visit to Cuba.

“On behalf of all Canadians, Sophie and I offer our deepest condolences to the family, friends and many, many supporters of Mr. Castro. We join the people of Cuba today in mourning the loss of this remarkable leader.”

http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2016/11/26...ada-death-former-cuban-president-fidel-castro

I'm not sure why we have to reduce every world leader to either a hero or a villain. He obviously did some good things and bad.

Either way it's an exciting new age for Cuba.

Hasn't been in power since 2008, nothing new age about it

15253517_10210955067010653_4177766260992808365_n.jpg

The reality is this man removed american organized crime gangs and the CIA drug runners and terrorists.

Then the Americans (with the help of the mafia pissed they lost so much money, the same mafia that supported mussolini and hitler) and British turned on him and did not care what they did to try and kill him and his country.

His response was to build the best health and education system in the world for his people.

No leader has such an astounding legacy as fidel castro.

This is the age of information, if you wish to believe otherwise, then you have a lot in common with neo nazis.

Based on what measure?

Just saying it makes it true?

If you consider yourself a supporter of freedom, democracy, fair trial, not torturing people, competent economic management and not murdering people…but also largely defend and apologise for Castro, then you're a flagrant ******* hypocrite and your opinions shouldn't be taken seriously be anyone.

It's fine to sit back and point at the 'literacy rates and hospitals' (although some level of scepticism should be shown towards the government stats on these topics), but considering those same things are achievable without murder, torture, poverty, censorship and long-standing authoritarian rule, the argument is lousy and flawed. Also, if you're praising him being 'anti-apartheid', at least make sure you don't forget the countless dictatorships and horrible regimens he supported.

He was a brutal tyrant and the world is infinitely better off without leaders like him in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair the left always abandons the gay cause when something better comes along. When that guy who shot up a gay club in Orlando and killed like 50 people turned out to be a Muslim the left suddenly went from outraged to not minding much anymore

It's strange. The right only take up the gay rights cause in order to attack the left! Usually they're the loudest voices against marriage equality (although in fairness this is more a 'social conservative' cause to be anti-gay rights. There are also those on the right that identify as 'fiscal conservative' only, and actually have quite liberal social viewpoints).

If you consider yourself a supporter of freedom, democracy, fair trial, not torturing people, competent economic management and not murdering people…but also largely defend and apologise for Obama (or Bush or Clinton or the US in general), then you're a flagrant ******* hypocrite and your opinions shouldn't be taken seriously be anyone.
EFA

I'm not here to defend Castro, it's too complex for 'oh, he's a hero' or 'he's a supervillain'. But let's not kid ourselves that everyone's view isn't coloured by the narrative forced on them by their government, media etc. For every accusation you could throw at Castro, I have no doubt I could find you a US equivalent, but we hold that up as an example of democracy and freedom in action and Castro (and Russia and China) as evil shitholes.

because it's full of meaningless empty words. liberty! human rights! these words, on their own, mean nothing.

Was thinking more along the lines of: 'Friendly-fire"....'Collateral damage"....And the piece-de-resistance: "Terrorist."

Meanwhile, the U.S continues to 'murder' innocent civilians with their bombs, in 7 countries as we speak.

I'm not sure why we have to reduce every world leader to either a hero or a villain. He obviously did some good things and bad.

Either way it's an exciting new age for Cuba.

The biggest problem is, the vast bulk of the good was done in the first few years, which apparently is enough to ignore the next 50 years of brutal oppression...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back