Remove this Banner Ad

Crusey

Team Captain
May 1, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gday Folks,

I'm sure a few of you knew my old man Don

He loved his footy and has been associated with the Lilydale Football Club since 1970

He passed away peacefully yesterday with the family by his side

Played against Don often in my early days great competitor on the field and always welcoming off the field after playing days finished.

Gday Folks,

I'm sure a few of you knew my old man Don

He loved his footy and has been associated with the Lilydale Football Club since 1970

He passed away peacefully yesterday with the family by his side
Hi Crusey, my sincere condolences on your loss.
In the mid 60's when I was about 14, I played cricket against a Don Cruse at Stradbroke Park. The only reason I remember the name was because it was the day he was getting married. He came in at the fall of the first wicket because he had to leave 15 min before tea (play started at 2pm in those days). He smashed the ball around and when he was supposed to leave he was about 70, so he kept going hoping to get out or make 100. By tea he was 91. As he had never made a 100 he decided to stay over the tea break, but then got out after tea without adding to his score. He raced off the ground, late to his wedding and I never saw him again. Don't know if it was your dad or a relative, but I hope it was.

Last edited:

Hey Cliff,

Unsure if Dad had a cricket career, I'll have to investigate

He was born in 38 and was married 7/3/64 (Living in Oak Park at the time)

Last edited:
Hey Cliff,

Unsure if Dad had a cricket career, I'll have to investigate

He was born in 38 and was married 7/3/64 (Living in Oak Park at the time)
I was 14 in 1964 and it was the last game of the year. Can't remember what club it was though. Oak Park is a long way from Stradbroke Park though.
Edit: Just looked up 7/3/64, it was a Friday so sadly it couldn't have been him.

Moved to Lilydale in 1970, had played at 15 or so clubs prior often playing Saturdays and Sundays in different leagues

Moved to Lilydale in 1970, had played at 15 or so clubs prior often playing Saturdays and Sundays in different leagues

So Don was 32 when he started at Lilydale.I thought he was there earlier then that.Did he play many 1,s games?As you most likely know he was secretary when I was treasurer and when he was captain coach of the 2,s I used to help him by running the boundary as the 2,s lacked volunteers as every one wanted to go to the 1,s.In those days 1,s and 2,s both played the same time but not same venue.

Sorry to read this. Great clubman and did so much for footy in the old EDFL. I remember visiting the mud heap Lilydale Showgrounds back in the late 80s and early 90s when I was a young senior footballer for some fairly spirited clashes with the Falcons who were an old adversary at the time. After some spirited and physical contests Don would always come into the rooms and invite us into the social club with a heap of beer tickets. Always loved playing against the Falcons and Don always looked after us well. Vale Crusey and family.

Didn’t know him by name Cruisey but bound to have been passed him many times at the show grounds.

I do remember the Dave Allison days, always interesting day, the old bloke running the scoreboard (Father?), & the guys that used get up to the back of the grandstand everytime we visited.

& those away rooms.

All the best to you & your family.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back