USAFL and others

Remove this Banner Ad

That "parallel" hadn't escaped me, but you are skirting around the event's problems.
The USAFL nationals is big money, so much so they can "tender" it out to get the best deal.

The USAFL Nationals is already a big deal and already tendering it out. Making it international by adding more Canadian teams doesn't add too much to that.

Nationals consistently get two Canadian clubs: Calgary and Quebec. Even when there's a lot of teams, it's usually just multiple teams from those organisations.

I don't think they'd get too many more Canadian teams by claiming it as international as opposed to American. If Edmonton numbers build back numbers, and Nova Scotia continues its trajectory, I can see them joining, but that's regardless of the tournament's name/identity.

Men's teams were also invited to the AFL Canada Cup, but there wasn't enough interest to host a men's division. For the Canadian men in BC and Ontario, their respective grand finals remain the pinnacle. I'm still hopeful for a men's division in the future, but at the end of the day, if they aren't interested in a Canadian tournament, Nationals (or Internationals) are an even greater commitment. You'll get some Canadian clubs, but it won't capture the interest the way it does in the USAFL.

Just to reiterate, I'm all for a greater Canadian presence at Nationals, I just don't think Nationals should become the default tournament for all North American clubs. In fact, I think more Canadian teams at Nationals would help launch a men's AFL Canada Cup division.

The event is already a compromise on time and place.
More Canadian teams wouldn't change things as they try to choose a place like Denver.

If it's to evolve from USAFL to international, it can't be played exclusively in the US. That'd be like playing every AFL grand final in the one city.

And then when you do have the tournament in Canada, flights to Montreal or Calgary etc would put an extra burden on southern American teams.

I'm sure there's answers, but the bigger the scope, the harder the balance is to keep everybody happy.

My vision would be for the premiers of the regional leagues to play off in a super bowl.
So, for four teams you are looking at three games and thus three airfares/travel only.
Now, this isn't perfect, as there are leagues, metro leagues and add-hoc games but
a conference system could work with wild-cards etc.

I like that concept. Could make it a playoff between the best team from each quarter of North America (Canada East, Canada West, USA East and USA West).

Something I wish was explored more also is league representative teams. AFL Ontario had a combined team more than a decade ago for a rep match (OAFL Steam). I would love to see combined AFLBC and AFLO teams at Nationals. I think they'd probably both compete at div 1 level.

The USAFL Nationals is already a big deal and already tendering it out. Making it international by adding more Canadian teams doesn't add too much to that.

Again you are missing the point. The idea that I'm suggesting is to put "international" into the title to make it more saleable to sponsors. The idea that I'm suggesting is to establish "national league" to make it more saleable to sponsors.
I'm talking from a marketing p.o.v. - you know... smoke and mirrors.

Again you are missing the point. The idea that I'm suggesting is to put "international" into the title to make it more saleable to sponsors.

I don't really have a strong opinion on this. I have nothing against adding international in the title, but I think the difference would be negligible compared to the good efforts the USAFL are already doing to raise the profile of the event.

The idea that I'm suggesting is to establish "national league" to make it more saleable to sponsors.
I'm talking from a marketing p.o.v. - you know... smoke and mirrors.

Could you elaborate more on how you'd go about establishing a national league?

I think the difference would be negligible

Most probably. It's just a suggestion ......at no cost.
compared to the good efforts the USAFL are already doing to raise the profile of the event.

I don't know why you have to keep adding stuff we already know.
Could you elaborate more on how you'd go about establishing a national league?

I thought I did. I would need more research or help as to the detail.

Hooo boy. Where to begin.

The USAFL National Championships is meant to determine who the best team in the league is for that season. The seedings and divisions are determined by season performance and previous years’ performance, with consideration given to the number of players a team can commit to bringing to the tournament. It’s the USAFL’s finals system and Grand Final. Period, end of sentence.

Canadian teams are considered “guest teams,” and they are allowed to compete based on relationships they have with clubs, both in partnership and competitive. AFL Quebec competes against the Eastern clubs with regularity, And Calgary plays sporadic matches against west coast clubs. This year, players from Ontario clubs played with the Saints, players from Halifax played with Calgary, and players from the BCAFL played with Seattle (as they have during the season).

There is no desire on the USAFL to make this into a full-blown North American, or even international, tournament. There have been exhibition matches played by Australian clubs and inquiries from clubs in Europe and Columbia (the latter was in town last weekend to check out the tournament and take ideas on running a similar carnival back home with them). But at its heart, the focus point is and should be USAFL clubs and those who exist in proximity to the USAFL’s ecosystem.

The AFL does not need any sort of “smoke and mirrors” nor any other qualification to promote or get around this tournament. We had several AFL staff, including Laura Kane, on hand for the tournament to observe and assist, as well as foster its role with the USAFL as a development partner. The tournament is what it is and should be marketed based on that.

I would love to see Canada have its own club championships, owing to the fact that they have a couple of city based leagues. They may run into the issue that the USAFL would if they ever to do that “Super Bowl” like tournament - teams may or may not be able to travel to an ad hoc qualified tournament, even if it’s centrally located in a place like Toronto (which is more accessible to most Canadian cities, whereas I don’t know that such a place exists in the US).

Not sure if the best thread for this, but cool vision out of Kanagawa

Move over #4, there's a new jet in town (and by in town, I mean 8,000km away, hahah)

Picked up a footy for the first time (has a background in basketball), just turned 18 and is doing things like this on sand in school shoes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back