Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be heading there just after xmas - Houston first, then NYE in the Big Easy, then a bit of travelling around.

Got a solid itinerary already, but any tips on where to have the most fun in Nashville?

Broadway street, It's impossible to miss.

Will be heading there just after xmas - Houston first, then NYE in the Big Easy, then a bit of travelling around.

Got a solid itinerary already, but any tips on where to have the most fun in Nashville?

What days are you in Nashville?

5th / 6th Jan (Fri Sat nights)

Weekends are crazy in Nashville. As mentioned above Broadway is the main strip with all the bars. Just go from bar to bar. Also most of the bars on Broadway have rooftops. Good place to start is Acme which is near Cumberland River and work your way up Broadway. Jason Aldeans and Lukes are very popular. Make sure you head to Tootsies and The Stage.

If after 1 night on Broadway is too much head to Midtown where more of the locals hang out. Winners and Losers is very popular.

For food go to Peg Leg Porker and get a rack of dry rub ribs. Martins BBQ is also very good. For Hot Chicken go to Hattie Bs. There a few stores. One in downtown will be too busy so go to other ones a bit further out. Or try Princes or Bolton.

Also Yee Haw brewing have opened up a venue Downtown. Massive space with food trucks etc.

I have been to Nashville 4 times and will be heading over next year again. Haven’t been since 2018. Can’t wait!

Tough one... everyone talking up Chicago but it's now $800 1 way from where I'll be.. :(
Look, dont kill yourself trying to get over there. If it's too expensive..

I worked at a summer camp a few hours from there, so spent a 5-day 4th of July weekend there. And then the other time I did a Trek America LA > NYC and it was on the itinerary so.. yeah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First time solo travelling?

Nothing to fear and at the end you will be glad you did it even if there are a few hiccups along the way.
I think if it was a country that didn't speak English I'd be heaps nervous. Country like the states, you're fine.

Altho easy for me to say when I first flew over there I did Camp America and was being met at the gate

Nothing to fear and at the end you will be glad you did it even if there are a few hiccups along the way.
very easy to travel solo in the states, one of the easiest countries. Americans are generally very friendly and are always up for a chat. all you need to do if you are on your own tis go and sit at a bar somewhere and you'll have some friends within minutes. (they may not always be exactly the type of friends you want, but hey, you can't afford to be picky...)

Yeah just got back from a month-ish solo.

So glad I did it. Very freeing to be able to just live on your own accord and not have to cater to anyone else's wants.

Very easy to meet people. I probably could have been a little more outgoing at times but everyone was really friendly for the most part. Had some really good convos with people at bars that you don't really tend to get in Australia. Made a few friends that I might keep in touch with but it was just nice to pass the time or nights by having chats with randoms while watching whatever was on at the bar. Drank with a bunch of Indian guys who were all catching up for the first time in like 15 years in NY which was a lot of fun.

It's funny, some people didn't blink twice when you tell them you're from Australia, then others just couldn't even seem to fathom it.

My second time visiting but NY remained a highlight. Chicago a nice surprise where I wish I had more time there and I really fell in love with Los Angeles.

So glad I did it. Very freeing to be able to just live on your own accord and not have to cater to anyone else's wants.

Very easy to meet people. I probably could have been a little more outgoing at times but everyone was really friendly for the most part. Had some really good convos with people at bars that you don't really tend to get in Australia. Made a few friends that I might keep in touch with but it was just nice to pass the time or nights by having chats with randoms while watching whatever was on at the bar. Drank with a bunch of Indian guys who were all catching up for the first time in like 15 years in NY which was a lot of fun.

It's funny, some people didn't blink twice when you tell them you're from Australia, then others just couldn't even seem to fathom it.

My second time visiting but NY remained a highlight. Chicago a nice surprise where I wish I had more time there and I really fell in love with Los Angeles.
Love meeting randoms, can still remember alot of them .

The homeless fella who was the first person I spoke to in LA (not incl airport staff) on my first OS trip.

The sales rep for a beer company from Ohio on my flight home in 2001

The guy in Chicago who knew where Pascoe Vale was and knew AFL footy cause he had lived in Melbourne for a bit

Went to a friend's of my friend in Denver, house and the first thing I see when I walk in is a Geelong scarf hanging over a chair.

Etc

All great memories

Tell you what, there have been a few hiccups but it has been a thoroughly rewarding experience. 3 days to go solo then meeting up with the other half for the next month

What made you fall in love with LA?
LA is great and people calling it a dump probably stayed downtown. Great food, natural wine and the Northern suburbs (venice-santa monica through west hollywood, los feliz and silver lake) are beautiful.

Chicago is pretty cool eh. An NYC of the midwest

What made you fall in love with LA?
It's beautiful. I love the warm weather there. The streets being a little dirty in parts combined with the millions of palm trees then the blue sky just makes me feel good for some reason.

I did a little jog from Venice to Santa Monica and walked back and it was just so beautiful. Really amazing place.
I stayed in West Hollywood and did the 'hike' up Runyon Canyon which was so cool to be so cool to like Hollywood Blvd but also on a hike was really cool.

I went to a Lakers game which speaks for itself.

I enjoy just walking up Hollywood Bvd, just observing what's going on. There was a taco place upstairs of the mall attached to the Chinese Theatre there that I liked. I saw a movie with only one other person at the Chinese Theatre's too which was surprising but cool.

Clearly the homeless situation there is ****ed, and from what I gather, it's not all their fault at all. One uber driver told me that other states ship homeless to LA during winter so they don't freeze to death.

I could absolutely live there. The bars are okay, I guess they aren't as crazy about NFL as I'd like but it's still very popular.
Games starting at 9am over there would be something interesting to get used to, but honestly I find the Eastern timezone a bit of a struggle when it comes to sport.

Chicago is pretty cool eh. An NYC of the midwest

Yeah! I didn't expect it for whatever reason, but after spending the weekend in Detroit, which despite their recent efforts is still a fair shithole, I was very happy

LA is great and people calling it a dump probably stayed downtown. Great food, natural wine and the Northern suburbs (venice-santa monica through west hollywood, los feliz and silver lake) are beautiful.

DTLA is actually very cool; back in the day it was godawful but nowadays it’s got heaps going for it. People don’t like LA generally I think because it’s so big and hard to get around without a car. Also everyone goes to hwood blvd and that is a true dive (despite still being worth the occasional visit to hit up the frolic room).

It's beautiful. I love the warm weather there. The streets being a little dirty in parts combined with the millions of palm trees then the blue sky just makes me feel good for some reason.

There is something about the blue sky in LA that is different from anywhere else in the world.

It looks like heaven and it has the same feel good effect on me as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back