USA Mid Term elections in November

Remove this Banner Ad

I more meant that the law should be written where self defence shouldn't be able to work in a situation where you've recklessly, willingly and needlessly invited the threat upon yourself.

But the legal system as it exists in America also means that you would expect a very different outcome if everything remained the same except the colour of the perpetrator's skin.
Yes that is correct. The US system is most definitely not clearcut, black or white(no pun). It can be interpretive.

In this case the local court had a tacit approval for right wing extremism. At the least, even with self-defense acquittal, there should have been some strict punishment for being there, armed and provocative.

Sometimes it works the other way in the States. I'm sure there have been acquittals for an aggrieved victim/family member getting revenge on a scumbag.
A lot of local politics is like that, unfortunately,

Yes

My point is that when people were voting for Fetterman, they were obviously aware he was recovering from a stroke (and to be fair the alternative was Dr Oz....), but the message from the Fetterman camp was that he would be in a better shape by the time he was in congress.

It's over a month into the job, and he's being hospitalised, and cannot have face to face conversations with people without a speech to text device. I just feel at some point they are going to have to acknowledge that he's not able to do the job.

Seems like some awful GOP attempt at whataboutism.

Well he shot dead a paedophile, an attempted murderer and wounded an armed vigilante.
He didn't know that when he killed them. I'm sure if you looked over all the victims of September 11 you'd probably find one or two of them had less than perfect criminal records, I guess their execution was justifiable too.

Yes that is correct. The US system is most definitely not clearcut, black or white(no pun). It can be interpretive.

In this case the local court had a tacit approval for right wing extremism. At the least, even with self-defense acquittal, there should have been some strict punishment for being there, armed and provocative.

Sometimes it works the other way in the States. I'm sure there have been acquittals for an aggrieved victim/family member getting revenge on a scumbag.
A lot of local politics is like that, unfortunately,
The key problem is election of judges and prosecutors, based on party politics, populist promises and paybacks, rather than appointment based on legal qualifications.

The key problem is election of judges and prosecutors, based on party politics, populist promises and paybacks, rather than appointment based on legal qualifications.
Elected prosecutors has disastrous consequences for justice because a high conviction rate might be good for electoral purposes but it also incentivises judicial misconduct.

Here we go again.

Can we beat 16 failed votes ?

red-wave.gif

GOP are a bunch of clowns
Imagine the noise being made here if either party had similar optics.

The first line from Oz media would be " if you can't lead yourselves how do you expect to lead the country"

Yet in the USA it's just part of the fabric

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine the noise being made here if either party had similar optics.

The first line from Oz media would be " if you can't lead yourselves how do you expect to lead the country"

Yet in the USA it's just part of the fabric

I think Australia has way more focus on party discipline than most. Take Labor’s binding votes in parliament compared to British Labour MPs having more freedom to break from the Whip, for two parties that have the same notional values of collective decision making (which is Labor’s rationale for binding votes).

That’s not to take away from the mad chaos of the US Congress at the moment, which is unprecedented. I suppose when you’re going through that many unprecedented political events, what’s another?

I think Australia has way more focus on party discipline than most. Take Labor’s binding votes in parliament compared to British Labour MPs having more freedom to break from the Whip, for two parties that have the same notional values of collective decision making (which is Labor’s rationale for binding votes).

That’s not to take away from the mad chaos of the US Congress at the moment, which is unprecedented. I suppose when you’re going through that many unprecedented political events, what’s another?
Australia had to learn that the hard way though. Factions within party rooms vying for power led us to, what five Prime Ministers in as many years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back