emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Thousands of people are reported missing around the world each year. Most are found within 24 hours, and others in the days, weeks and months following the report. Other missing people, however, are never seen again. While the fate of some missing persons can easily be guessed, others create a strange mystery that hangs over the faded investigation files and writings on the subjects for many years after they have gone. Which are some interesting cases that have remained unsolved for many years? Here are a few:

Marie Celeste Crew, Mid-Atlantic Ocean, December 1872: This famous maritime mystery came about when the crew of the De Gretia noticed a sailing ship meandering through the waves, with no sign of life on the decks. A boarding party found the Marie Celeste completely abandoned, seemingly at short notice, with only a lifeboat missing. The captain, Benjamin Briggs, his wife and daughter and the crew, were never seen nor heard of again. Was there a failed attack by pirates, a bungled mutiny, an accident, some unexplained panic caused by freak weather, or something supernatural? Nobody knows for sure, after more than 140 years.

The Flannan Isle Lighthouse Keepers, Scotland 1900: Another well known maritime mystery took place at the Flannen Island Lighthouse in December 1900. A supply ship landing on the island found no trace of keepers Thomas Marshall, James Ducat and Donald McArthur, and as with the Marie Celeste years earlier, the lighthouse seemed to have been abandoned at short notice, with not a clue as to what had happened to the three missing men. No end of theories, from foul play, accidents, freak weather and the supernatural have been put forward, none of which could be substantiated. The famous case inspired the poem, Flannen Isle, by Wilfred Gibson, and served as the inspiration for the 1976 Doctor Who story, The Horror of Fang Rock. However, it is doubtful that aliens such as the Rutans were responsible for the real life mystery.

Dorothy Arnold, New York City USA, 1910: Dorothy Arnold, a socialite aged in her early 20s, left her wealthy family's expensive New York City residence one Saturday morning in December 1910 to go shopping on Fifth Avenue. Miss Arnold completed her purchases at various stores, but never returned home that day - or ever again. No trace of the missing heiress was ever found, reported sightings of her proved false, and her fate remains a mystery 103 years later.

Judge Joseph Crater, New York City USA, 1930: In the summer of 1930, New York Supreme Court Judge Joseph Crater was holidaying with his wife in Maine, when he had to return to the city at short notice to take care of some business. Crater spent several days working in his chambers and around town, and joined some friends for dinner on a warm evening. At the dinner's end, Crater left to catch a cab to watch a Broadway show, and vanished from the face of the earth. No trace of the missing judge was ever found, although persistent unsubstantiated sightings were reported for years afterward, much like Dorothy Arnold. For quite some time afterwards, a popular nightclub joke was to page Joseph Crater, and the now seldom-used expression 'to pull a Crater' means to vanish.

Bennington Triangle Disappearances, Vermont USA, 1943-1950: Towns hold festivals for many different reasons, but one held in Bennington, Vermont in 2000, was especially strange. The celebration was to mark 50 years since there had been no unexplained vanishings in and around the town. In the space of 8 years in the 1940s, a teenage boy named Melvin Hills; an experienced tour guide Middie Rivers; a party of three hunters; an 18-year old college student, Paula Welden; a teenage girl Frances Christman; an elderly soldier James Tetford; a young child Paul Jepson and a middle-aged woman Freida Langer all vanished from the area. All were strange circumstances; Rivers was an experienced tour guide, who got ahead of his group before disappearing; Paula Welden (the best known case) vanished while hiking, seemingly there one minute, gone the next; Frances Christman vanished while walking to a friend's house under a mile away; the child's parents turned their backs for a minute and he was gone; while the old soldier seemingly vanished from a bus in 1949, with all passengers and crew reporting him on at one stop, but gone by Bennington, his belongings left behind. A serial killer was mentioned as a potential culprit, but would seem unlikely due to the wide variation of ages and genders of the people involved. No other explanation seems to hold much water either, and the cases remain unsolved. A final strange conundrum of this eerie episode was that the body of Freida Langer was found months after she had vanished - in an open clearing that had been searched previously.

Harold Holt, Portsea, Victoria Australia 1967: How does the highest government official of a first world country disappear without trace? Nobody knows how, but it did happen when Harold Holt, the Australian Prime Minister - vanished from Cheviot Beach in Portsea, Victoria in December 1967. Many theories - heart attack, shark attack, drowning, foul play, suicide, abduction, planned disappearance - have been put forward, but nobody knows for sure nearly 50-years later. An irony of Holt's disappearance was that he was sworn into office on 26th January 1966 - the day the Beaumont children vanished from Glenelg Beach in Adelaide.

Jerrold Potter, Illinois USA, 1968: The case of Jerrold Potter, a businessman who was flying with others as part of a Lions convention, is very strange. Potter got up to use the lavatory, but never returned and was never seen again. An investigation found an external door had been tampered with, but not fully opened, and doing so mid-flight would have been a near-impossible maneuver, creating great chaos if successful. The investigation found no reasons for homicide or suicide, and his body was never found along the flight route.

Lord Lucan, Sussex England 1974: In this famous case, Lord Lucan is alleged to have killed the nanny of his children and assaulted his ex-wife in 1974. Lucan was never tried for the alleged crimes, as he vanished later that evening and has not been seen since. The last positive sighting of the missing aristocrat was by a friend in Sussex the same day.

Martha Wright, New Jersey USA 1975: While driving to New York in heavy snow, Mr and Mrs Wright agreed to stop in the Lincoln Tunnel to clear the windows. They stepped out of the car, and that was the last Mr Wright ever saw of his wife, in a case that left everyone involved dumbfounded.

Suzy Lamplugh, London UK 1986: One summer day in 1986, 25-year-old estate agent Suzy Lamplugh left the office to show a property in Fulham to a client. She never returned, and could not be found again.

The Springfield Three, Springfield Missouri USA 1992: The disappearances of Sherrill Levitt aged 47, her daughter Suzie Streeter (18) and Suzie's friend Stacy McCall (18) on 7th June 1992 is one of the most baffling cases of all time. Any theory that seems logical is immediately ruled out by one of the other bizarre factors that comes into play. The case is too complicated to go into great detail, but there is a good documentary (Disappeared - Springfield Three) about it on Youtube. Basically, Suzie and Stacy graduated high school on the Saturday, and that evening attended several parties with other students. The girls were to have stayed with a mutual friend that night, but decided due to overcrowding to return to Sherrill's house, and meet up with the friends the next day, who became concerned when they did not make contact. The girls' cars were at the residence as was the mother's, they had changed out of their clothes and the beds had been slept in. The TV was on, and all personal belongings, including purses, cigarettes and the dog had been left behind. There was no evidence of forced entry, a robbery (cash and jewelry also left behind) or violence. A broken porch light added to the mystery of the eerie scene, and neighbours had seen nor heard anything odd during the night. Motives for the case could not be firmly established, and it seems no closer to being solved than when they were first reported missing that Sunday evening nearly 22 years ago. One particular moment on the documentary on the documentary stood out as the saddest aspect of missing person's cases, where Stacy's mother said that she expected her daughter to return that same day, then the next day, then in a week, a month and a year, before finally realizing one day that she had been missing longer than she had been alive.

Some great one son that list.

Listeverse has a good overview here:

http://listverse.com/2007/10/06/top...urce=more&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=direct

This case is very interesting. Read about it before.

5. Time Tunnel

In 1975, a man named Jackson Wright was driving with his wife from New Jersey to New York City. This required them to travel through the Lincoln Tunnel. According to Wright, who was driving, once through the tunnel he pulled the car over to wipe the windshield of condensation. His wife Martha volunteered to clean off the back window so they could more readily resume their trip. When Wright turned around, his wife was gone. He neither heard nor saw anything unusual take place, and a subsequent investigation could find no evidence of foul play. Martha Wright had just disappeared.

The Martha Wright case is amazing. Vanishes from a tunnel and is never seen again. No evidence of foul play. Nothing.

There has been nothing found on the case since.

I take it Martha Wright's husband would have been no. 1 suspect though...
People shouldn't just vanish without a trace.

Unless she went to another dimension/parallel universe or something. :p

Yeah I'd be a bit suspicious of the husband if there were no other witnesses etc. I like these stories, but I think they can be explained most of the time by people meeting with foul play or simply running away There's a decent list on wiki here. I've read a story somewhere about a man who disappears while jogging right in front of his friends, can't find anything about it at the moment though.

I take it Martha Wright's husband would have been no. 1 suspect though...
People shouldn't just vanish without a trace.

Unless she went to another dimension/parallel universe or something. :p

I'd imagine so. It's very hard to get any more information on the case - everything seems to be taken from the same book.

I remember seeing it years ago and there was a quote/reference to the police and how the husband was not a suspect in any way.

Also they talked about the tunnel and how it was impossible for her to get out in any way.

coupled with the fact that nothing has ever turned up it makes the whole thing very mysterious.

Yeah I'd be a bit suspicious of the husband if there were no other witnesses etc. I like these stories, but I think they can be explained most of the time by people meeting with foul play or simply running away There's a decent list on wiki here. I've read a story somewhere about a man who disappears while jogging right in front of his friends, can't find anything about it at the moment though.

Was that one in the 1700's or 1800's or around then?
I think i remember reading something like that as well...

There was a song written by Kate Miller Heidke that details a case where her best friend goes missing when attending a music festival together in 1997.

"Sarah", as she calls her disappears and despite police searches, nothing was found except a piece of her clothing in a creek. Two weeks later, Sarah reappears at her own doorstep, eerily having no recollection of any happenings over the course of her disappearance.

(http://www.theripe.tv/kate-miller-heidke-sarah-2/)

Found it, the guys name was James Worson, looks like it might be a fictional story called The Unfinished Race although it's presented as fact in a lot of places.

An Unfinished Race

Weirdly enough, the author of the story Ambrose Bierce disappeared without a trace himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Martha Wright and the 'Springfield 3' cases scare the **** out of me!

Yes, these cases are both very scary. Martha Wright seemingly literally vanished into thin air.

In the chilling case of the Springfield Three, as I mentioned in the opening thread, when one thinks about a logical series of events to explain the disappearances, some other factor in the case rules it out. The way Mrs. Levitt's unlocked house was left was so eerie; something seemed wrong there, but it was not obvious, such as the house being ransacked or forced entry. The three women's purses were all left in a row, with no personal effects taken. If the person/s responsible wanted to divert attention away from the house, it would have made sense to remove personal effects (purses, cigarettes, keys) to make it look like they had gone out and failed to return.

Even stranger was that Suzy & Stacy were not meant to be there at all that night; they were meant to stay in Branson, initially at a hotel, then with their friend at her family's house. The decision to return to Suzy's mother's house was a last minute one.

The crime appears well planned, but if Sherrill Levitt had been the target, the perpetrator/s would have had several hours to abduct her alone before the girls got back in the early hours. If one of the girls had been the target, they were not meant have been there that night. If the girls had walked in on a crime in progress, they would not have changed their clothes, taken off their make-up, gotten into bed etc. And if the crime was a random crime committed on the spur of the moment, there surely would have been more signs of a struggle and forced entry, plus noise.

Had Sherrill Levitt, Suzy Streeter and Stacy McCall been from Britain, vanished from a quaint English village in the early 1950s, and existed only in the mind and subsequent manuscript of crime-writer Agatha Christie, I doubt even Miss Marple could have solved the case.

Yes, these cases are both very scary. Martha Wright seemingly literally vanished into thin air.

In the chilling case of the Springfield Three, as I mentioned in the opening thread, when one thinks about a logical series of events to explain the disappearances, some other factor in the case rules it out. The way Mrs. Levitt's unlocked house was left was so eerie; something seemed wrong there, but it was not obvious, such as the house being ransacked or forced entry. The three women's purses were all left in a row, with no personal effects taken. If the person/s responsible wanted to divert attention away from the house, it would have made sense to remove personal effects (purses, cigarettes, keys) to make it look like they had gone out and failed to return.

Even stranger was that Suzy & Stacy were not meant to be there at all that night; they were meant to stay in Branson, initially at a hotel, then with their friend at her family's house. The decision to return to Suzy's mother's house was a last minute one.

The crime appears well planned, but if Sherrill Levitt had been the target, the perpetrator/s would have had several hours to abduct her alone before the girls got back in the early hours. If one of the girls had been the target, they were not meant have been there that night. If the girls had walked in on a crime in progress, they would not have changed their clothes, taken off their make-up, gotten into bed etc. And if the crime was a random crime committed on the spur of the moment, there surely would have been more signs of a struggle and forced entry, plus noise.

Had Sherrill Levitt, Suzy Streeter and Stacy McCall been from Britain, vanished from a quaint English village in the early 1950s, and existed only in the mind and subsequent manuscript of crime-writer Agatha Christie, I doubt even Miss Marple could have solved the case.

Completely agree. Cases like this in all honestly make me an emotional wreck. No Joke, I haven't been able to take my mind of this case since you posted it along with the Wright case, but the Springfield case is even more mindblowing. Like someone said already in this thread, At least in the wright case, the husband could have had something to do with this, but the Springfield case has left me speechless. I know this sounds crazy and it's probably not what went on, but what if all 3 of them just went away (on their own will) and didn't want anyone to find them ever again??

Completely agree. Cases like this in all honestly make me an emotional wreck. No Joke, I haven't been able to take my mind of this case since you posted it along with the Wright case, but the Springfield case is even more mindblowing. Like someone said already in this thread, At least in the wright case, the husband could have had something to do with this, but the Springfield case has left me speechless. I know this sounds crazy and it's probably not what went on, but what if all 3 of them just went away (on their own will) and didn't want anyone to find them ever again??[/quote]

It's entirely possible, but even back in 1992 it would be difficult from a financial and ID perspective to stage one's own disappearance. In recent years in the USA, some missing people who were long declared dead were found to have been abducted and still alive, but it seems unlikely that three adult women could have fallen victim to this type of crime at the same time. Nothing about this case makes any sense.

True. This case doesn't make any sense. Is the case still open??

The case remains unsolved, but I am not sure of its current status. I imagine if a lead came in the Missouri police or FBI would follow it up, but after so many years, this would appear unlikely.

I figure I'll post this here rather than make it's own thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Joyita

Only possible explanation i can think of is they were killed by pirates?

That's an interesting case. I hadn't heard of it before. Like the Marie Celeste or the Flannen Island Lighthouse cases, I can't think of a logical explanation for it.

Another interesting, but obscure maritime case was from Grenada in 1944. Two ships, the Island Queen and the Providence Mark, set sail on an overnight voyage to the same destination. The ships stayed level with each other into the pleasant, calm Caribbean summer evening, before losing sight of each other during the night.

The Providence Mark docked on schedule in the morning, but the Island Queen did not. Neither the ship, nor the passengers and crew, were ever seen again. There was no wreckage, no distress call and no other sign of a sunken ship.

As soon as I read the thread title, the first name that came to mind is Frederick Valentich. 20 years old, disappeared flying over Bass Strait in 1978.

As soon as I read the thread title, the first name that came to mind is Frederick Valentich. 20 years old, disappeared flying over Bass Strait in 1978.

This is an interesting case, a pilot vanishing after allegedly sighting a UFO.

In the early 1990s, American TV show Unsolved Mysteries featured a segment on this case. I heard Lisa McCune - then a young, and totally unknown actress - was in the re-enactment, but couldn't find anything such as a Youtube clip to support this.

This is an interesting case, a pilot vanishing after allegedly sighting a UFO.

In the early 1990s, American TV show Unsolved Mysteries featured a segment on this case. I heard Lisa McCune - then a young, and totally unknown actress - was in the re-enactment, but couldn't find anything such as a Youtube clip to support this.
Don't most people attribute this to a planned suicide where he just wanted to go down as something interesting? Didn't he have a noticeable intrigue in aliens?

20 odd posts and no posts to do with the Bermuda Triangle?

I'd like a thread on how popular culture has basically created a whole set of cultural assumptions that are now indistinguishable from the reality.

Berlitz's book basically created the whole Bermuda Triangle 'myth' and was amazing in shaping he whole public perception of what was going on.

Even today, real research into the phenomea has to confront and dispel the baseless assumptions and perceptions that were created.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back