Roast Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Judging by the sense of entitlement on display here, I can only assume you're paying him for this service?
Not sure who this was aimed at, but the more paranoid part of me is thinking... me.
In which case:
A. I did not ask Mudd specifically (or anyone else for, that matter) to respond - he chose to. Probably peeved because his faulty logic in a prior post had already been addressed.
B. Once he chose to respond, then he should probably do so appropriately rather than his usual "Freo are shit" statements. If you believe that response was anything even remotely resembling a detailed analysis, I'd have to say I don't quite agree. If you're going to respond to me with something as logically useless as "Freo played shit, therefore the umpiring was ok" then expect something in return.

And lastly, someone had enough interest in the game to do something like the Squiggle. That's awesome, regardless of how accurate you think it is, or what its faults might be. Some people like doing this kind of thing. I'd be very interested if someone did such a detailed analysis of umpiring. I'm inclined to believe there would be some interesting little statistics out there no one is aware of at this point beyond simple suspicion. By which, I don't mean an AFL conspiracy.
If it turned out to be absolutely nothing, and the proof is there, then the debate goes away.

But it never goes away, does it? Because we actually have no idea whether our suspicions are correct, even with such simple things as umpire bias. Granted, tracking something as ephemeral as "momentum changing" decisions could be a rather tough ask, but hey - there's some serious talent out there. If someone paid me, I'd do it myself. I don't care about it quite that much, otherwise.

When articles like this appear: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ground-advantage/story-fni5faul-1227383490467, you have to wonder at a few things. As it points out, the parochial home crowd advantage often touted with respect to the Eagles doesn't wash. Neither, if you actually watch their games, does it appear they're any more careful as a side not to give frees away. And then, there is that list of the darlings. That list is interesting, in that there are possibly differing reasons for each one of those.

This is not an easily dismissable subject.
To suggest that an issue like this is something as simple as a chart giving totals for and against is far too simplistic.

Not sure who this was aimed at, but the more paranoid part of me is thinking... me.
In which case:
A. I did not ask Mudd specifically (or anyone else for, that matter) to respond - he chose to. Probably peeved because his faulty logic in a prior post had already been addressed.
B. Once he chose to respond, then he should probably do so appropriately rather than his usual "Freo are shit" statements. If you believe that response was anything even remotely resembling a detailed analysis, I'd have to say I don't quite agree. If you're going to respond to me with something as logically useless as "Freo played shit, therefore the umpiring was ok" then expect something in return.

And lastly, someone had enough interest in the game to do something like the Squiggle. That's awesome, regardless of how accurate you think it is, or what its faults might be. Some people like doing this kind of thing. I'd be very interested if someone did such a detailed analysis of umpiring. I'm inclined to believe there would be some interesting little statistics out there no one is aware of at this point beyond simple suspicion. By which, I don't mean an AFL conspiracy.
If it turned out to be absolutely nothing, and the proof is there, then the debate goes away.

But it never goes away, does it? Because we actually have no idea whether our suspicions are correct, even with such simple things as umpire bias. Granted, tracking something as ephemeral as "momentum changing" decisions could be a rather tough ask, but hey - there's some serious talent out there. If someone paid me, I'd do it myself. I don't care about it quite that much, otherwise.

When articles like this appear: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ground-advantage/story-fni5faul-1227383490467, you have to wonder at a few things. As it points out, the parochial home crowd advantage often touted with respect to the Eagles doesn't wash. Neither, if you actually watch their games, does it appear they're any more careful as a side not to give frees away. And then, there is that list of the darlings. That list is interesting, in that there are possibly differing reasons for each one of those.

This is not an easily dismissable subject.
To suggest that an issue like this is something as simple as a chart giving totals for and against is far too simplistic.

I agree

Remove this Banner Ad

Back