UFC 301

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta feel for Steve. It's hard to not see him back there soon though.

48-47, 48-47, 49-46

Seems fair enough.

Erceg had him on the feet, the Pantoja was too good on the ground.

Overall I would think Erceg did more damage and Pantoja will be more sore tomorrow.

But the way the sport is judged, I can see the 48-47s.

Yeah, in reality Erceg busted him up. Pantoja did no damage in the ground exchanges - expect for one in the 2nd round (I think).

I can't see how a judge gave Pantoja either round 2 or 4 to make it 49-46. Definitely not a robbery though as I think the champ took 1, 3 and 5. The 5th was frustrating though with Steve looking to wrestle. The occasional non-committed shot had been working well in the previous few rounds to keep Pantoja expending energy, but to chase the takedown hard in what was a very even round turned out to be the difference. Overall though he showed he is right at the championship level. He looked flustered by the speed and ferocity of the champs charges early on, but the longer the fight went the better he looked on the feet. Really, he just needs to round out his wrestling skills as his cardio looked fantastic and his defensive BJJ was also very impressive.

Had it 48-47 Pantoja but even that was with a bit of a champ allowance. Erceg lost the fight but gains a huge amount of respect and looks the obvious next champ, regardless of what happens with Pantoja next.

Vintage from old man Aldo, awesome win.

Incredibly low IQ from Petrino, embarrassing way to lose his first fight.

Plenty of good showings throughout, but I think Borralho comes out the big winner outside the main and co main. A tailor-made fight for him on paper, but a name nonetheless, and a finish after mostly clinical decision wins in his UFC career to this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man I got Smith at $5 on sports sites. I get some people hate him and he does say some strange stuff but he's still beaten some very good competition lately.

That's a good get, would have paid shitloads by sub.

I missed the card as I was at the G watching the Tiges stink it up, was streaming a bit on my phone though. Great effort by Erceg, and hopefully such a great fight might give flyweight a bit more prominence again, surely they do a rematch?

That's a good get, would have paid shitloads by sub.

I missed the card as I was at the G watching the Tiges stink it up, was streaming a bit on my phone though. Great effort by Erceg, and hopefully such a great fight might give flyweight a bit more prominence again, surely they do a rematch?
If he was paying $2 I wouldn't have looked at it but $5 is insane, people before hand were acting like smiths Tony Ferguson lol he's still a good fighter just not top 5

Man I got Smith at $5 on sports sites. I get some people hate him and he does say some strange stuff but he's still beaten some very good competition lately.
I like Anthony Smith

Good analyst, good fighter that tbf isn't scarred to step up against anyone

Also good honest bloke, could have stayed down and won the title from JJ with the illegal knee a few years back but didn't

I like Anthony Smith

Good analyst, good fighter that tbf isn't scarred to step up against anyone

Also good honest bloke, could have stayed down and won the title from JJ with the illegal knee a few years back but didn't
Yeah I get he's maybe a little over confident but he's seems like a genuinely good person. When he's not talking about Pereira or his direct competition he's a very down to earth humble guy.

Yeah I get he's maybe a little over confident but he's seems like a genuinely good person. When he's not talking about Pereira or his direct competition he's a very down to earth humble guy.
And tbf who that is a top 10-15 fighter in the world isn't over confident? That is th reason why he steps up to fight the absolute beasts regularly and then is just as likely to step in and fight a young up and comer. Not many do that

And tbf who that is a top 10-15 fighter in the world isn't over confident? That is th reason why he steps up to fight the absolute beasts regularly and then is just as likely to step in and fight a young up and comer. Not many do that
Yeah, 15 years ago he'd be super respected as an anytime anywhere fighter. These days people just love to hate people. Very easy to see why he loves Bisping so much they are very similar, both just fighters by heart not by skill if that makes sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back