MMA-UFC UFC 296 - Sunday 17th December, 10:00AM AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just one of many ugly things the guy has done, and I think it's the forced aspect that has never flown with the public.

But still interesting when terrible people like Tony Ferguson have remained insanely popular throughout the years.
I think his problem is you need to pick what you are. You either are the villain like Colby, Conor, Nate etc and people love you for that, or be the humble respectful guy like Rob, Max, Aspinall etc

I think people really hate when your humble one minute then fake the next. It's why Usman, Aljo, Izzy and others got alot of hate. Garry's is worse because he nearly stops Magny seeing his kids, laughs about how he took him out of context then tried to sue people who do it back to him. He either needs to go full villain or full humble can't be both

It's just one of many ugly things the guy has done, and I think it's the forced aspect that has never flown with the public.

But still interesting when terrible people like Tony Ferguson have remained insanely popular throughout the years.
With Ferguson, it's because it's authentic. He's a little insane, probably a shit bloke but people love him for it like Strickland

Add in the very very fan friendly fights and being perceived as being screwed over by the company/having terrible luck, he'll keep his fans until the end which is hopefully this week as far as fighting goes

I think his problem is you need to pick what you are. You either are the villain like Colby, Conor, Nate etc and people love you for that, or be the humble respectful guy like Rob, Max, Aspinall etc

I think people really hate when your humble one minute then fake the next. It's why Usman, Aljo, Izzy and others got alot of hate. Garry's is worse because he nearly stops Magny seeing his kids, laughs about how he took him out of context then tried to sue people who do it back to him. He either needs to go full villain or full humble can't be both
I think this is spot on.

With Ferguson, it's because it's authentic. He's a little insane, probably a s**t bloke but people love him for it like Strickland

Add in the very very fan friendly fights and being perceived as being screwed over by the company/having terrible luck, he'll keep his fans until the end which is hopefully this week as far as fighting goes
The authenticity is a good point, but it's very different from Strickland. Strickland has a high degree of self awareness and actually seems to be friendly with just about everyone who crosses his path. He's very much in the "calls it like he sees it" zone that so many people are falling for at the moment. Whereas Tony is oblivious to everything going on around him and is notoriously hard to get along with. The insanity is the main factor though, for sure. People are just like, wow this guy is nuts, free pass!

See what I mean?

The authenticity is a good point, but it's very different from Strickland. Strickland has a high degree of self awareness and actually seems to be friendly with just about everyone who crosses his path. He's very much in the "calls it like he sees it" zone that so many people are falling for at the moment. Whereas Tony is oblivious to everything going on around him and is notoriously hard to get along with. The insanity is the main factor though, for sure. People are just like, wow this guy is nuts, free pass!

See what I mean?
I don't agree agree with you at all re "Tony is a terrible person".

I don't agree agree with you at all re "Tony is a terrible person".
I dunno threatening your family because you think your wife is a witch doesn't scream good bloke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably another reason he shouldn't be sanctioned to fight any longer tbh. Guy's beyond washed as it is, no need to add to mental demons with more CTE
It's a difficult one. If bodies are still gonna sanction him the UFC will let him fight, they let him go he'll just sign somewhere else like bkfc

It's a difficult one. If bodies are still gonna sanction him the UFC will let him fight, they let him go he'll just sign somewhere else like bkfc
Yeah true. The bodies will let anyone fight; probably needs review but'll never happen

a 59 year old novice had his first pro boxing fight recently, KO'd badly in the first round.

All he needed to do was pass a blood test, basic physical, and proof he'd been sparring in a boxing gym. It's not exactly stringent testing to get sanctioned

If you want to know what a terrible person looks like, look no further than Colby. What a pos that campaigner is.
Having a dig at Leon about his father (Leon's dad was murdered when Leon was 14).
As for the fight, I'm thinking Colby probably wins, but I'd love it if he got KTFO by Leon.

If you want to know what a terrible person looks like, look no further than Colby. What a pos that campaigner is.
Having a dig at Leon about his father (Leon's dad was murdered when Leon was 14).
As for the fight, I'm thinking Colby probably wins, but I'd love it if he got KTFO by Leon.
He's selling the fight. Leon would make $50 without Colby

He's selling the fight. Leon would make $50 without Colby
I agree

But surely having a crack at someone's dad who was murdered crosses some sort of moral line

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

I agree

But surely having a crack at someone's dad who was murdered crosses some sort of moral line

He's definitely not averse to going that low, but that was as bad as it gets from Colby. Worked for me though, would love nothing more than to see Leon wipe him out now.

Just another glowing example of the type of people in our beloved industry in that press conference! I felt bad for Shavkat, WB, Royval and Patoja to have to be subject to it. Great entertainment.

I agree

I agree, but also isn't that his whole thing? If he doesn't cross lines then he's just a funny guy. His whole thing is saying shit. I honestly don't think Leon Edwards cares he brings up his dad. He's a pro fighter and it happened 20 years ago.

I doubt bringing it up even effects Leon but it does bring that uncomfortable feeling that sells the fight.

Oh he cared. Leon ain't about these games. He tends to laugh things off or not engage. He went into kill mode almost instantly - absolute sniper with that water bottle btw.

What was odder from Colby was having a crack at Wonderboy about being a pedo. Won't get the desired reaction from WB, won't sell his fight, won't set something up in the future, won't win any new fans. Just needless w***ery.

Ok yeah I saw that part after I said it. Definitely effected Leon

Maybe I'm just overly defending Colby but I kinda don't get how people get mad, surely you treat the press conference with him like a court case and you talk about how he's gonna bring up anything and everything. I think Colby went there because he's trying to sell the fight and he got the moment he wanted. Like Whittaker said colbys like a real life keyboard warrior so once you accept he is gonna say anything surely you just brush it off?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back