TV footage of Tasmanian football on Youtube

Remove this Banner Ad

1999 TSFL Grand Final.
Saturday, 18th September 1999.
Glenorchy 15.9 (99) d Northern Bombers 7.11 (53)
Attendance: 8,053 at North Hobart.
(Source: ABC Television)

I always watch this footage 'cause you can see me behind the goals with dad with my flag. Managed to get the entire team minus Chris Glenn to sign that, I think Peter Ryan wanted to run the ground with it as well. But I made sure to keep a firm grip on it. Mum made it before training we went there and Michael Styles when he signed it goes "Has everyone signed it?" I said "not yet." so he took it and got them all to sign it.

I got Hamilton to sign it on the day, I even had Jamie Ling sign it, not sure why he decided to but he also put down his number as he was wearing 12. Ha.

Ben Beams and Adrian Fletcher were both there near the Glenorchy rooms, Beams looked like he was wishing he was playing, talked to both that day as well, both quite friendly.

I only went to a couple of Grand Finals during the 1990s, Glenorchy's win over North Launceston, and North Launceston's win over Clarence. I would go to a few games throughout the seasons, and a few random neutral games because dad worked for The Mercury, the photographer most weekends was Robin Lane, he would take dad and I to games with his late father.

Mum and I would go sometimes, but I am not sure she was ever really that into it, mostly just went because I wanted to go, I would have gone every week if I could, rain, hail or shine. But my access to games was restricted as I was a kid during the 1990s and had no way to go.

I only went to a couple of Grand Finals during the 1990s, Glenorchy's win over North Launceston, and North Launceston's win over Clarence. I would go to a few games throughout the seasons, and a few random neutral games because dad worked for The Mercury, the photographer most weekends was Robin Lane, he would take dad and I to games with his late father.

Mum and I would go sometimes, but I am not sure she was ever really that into it, mostly just went because I wanted to go, I would have gone every week if I could, rain, hail or shine. But my access to games was restricted as I was a kid during the 1990s and had no way to go.

I'd go to games with my dad in the 60s. I remember an early 60's game NH v Sandy bay in their old blue jumper with the seagull on it, but he worked overtime some weekends so I was sometimes stuck. Then mum let me go on the bus so I got to most games, one way or the other. The 1970 state game was a highlight when Bingley kicked the winning goal against WA. The overseas games when the bridge was down in 1975 were big away trips back then, worse than the trek to Boyer Oval ;) Blokes like the Brownings, Winter, Booth would tear strips off us!
SWL1 started in 1986 so trips up north were the big thing. Again we dropped off because it was too hard to go to every game. I did go to grandfinals but the first one held at York Park was a sad day. The first one I'd missed since the late 60's.
Different game then. Local heroes, the odd ex VFL player. Devine, Olsen, Bingley. Then TV stuffed it up.

I'd go to games with my dad in the 60s. I remember an early 60's game NH v Sandy bay in their old blue jumper with the seagull on it, but he worked overtime some weekends so I was sometimes stuck. Then mum let me go on the bus so I got to most games, one way or the other. The 1970 state game was a highlight when Bingley kicked the winning goal against WA. The overseas games when the bridge was down in 1975 were big away trips back then, worse than the trek to Boyer Oval ;) Blokes like the Brownings, Winter, Booth would tear strips off us!
SWL1 started in 1986 so trips up north were the big thing. Again we dropped off because it was too hard to go to every game. I did go to grandfinals but the first one held at York Park was a sad day. The first one I'd missed since the late 60's.
Different game then. Local heroes, the odd ex VFL player. Devine, Olsen, Bingley. Then TV stuffed it up.

Dad would talk about some of his and my uncles trips to Boyer, once they went there it was freezing cold but sunny in Hobart, so they came back home go their coats and went back was pretty foggy that day as well. I am not sure the year, but it was just a story he would speak of. Dad was very active supporting Glenorchy in the 60s and 70s, worked at National Bakeries in the 80s so he would deliver the pies to some clubs. He was known at a couple of clubs as "the pie man" New Norfolk tried to get him onside as a supporter but his Pies blood was too thick.

I had seen the old Sandy Bay jumper in some photos, I have a few from the old days dad gave them to me after The Mercury went digital and were going to destroy them all. I have photos of a young Shanahan, Hudson, Styles, even got Bennett, and Smyth playing in the TFL back in the day. I remember going to games in the early 90s seeing Glenorchy smashed a lot of the time, some hard weekends.

Best day before the premiership win had to have been going up to Devonport Oval, not expected to win the game and getting away with a two point win in 1991, it was a long trip back but it was a good win. We went to a Queens Birthday game at KGV, Michael Maple kicked 8 from memory, horrible day for a Pies supporter we were flogged everywhere.

That was the thing back then either we were flogged by North, or we would get spanked at Bellerive Oval, I remember one game at Boyer Simon Byrne last kick of the game, kicks it out on the full and we lost by a point. Straight in front he was. That was a tough one to bare being behind the goals with a lot of them New Norfolk supporters.

When I was playing footy we got to have a mini-game on KGV Oval during the half time break, Glenorchy were playing North Launceston, we had lot a few games coming into it. We got away with an upset win that day. At my school we used to have Glenorchy players come along and do clinics and give out tickets. Dad knew a lot because he worked at The Mercury and I got to talk to a few when he'd help do the photos. So one day I got a bunch of passes to go to the games from Glenn and Michael Styles, a young Ben Careless, Stephen Cox, and I believe Joel Careless was there before he departed.

I got to talk to both my footy idols at the North/South game in 1994, Peter Daicos signed a photo, sadly I didn't get to have a photo with him, but I got one of him signed. Shane Fell signed my autograph book, since both of them were the reason I wanted to play footy in the first place it was pretty good.

I used to go to the TFL Grand final every year. That was when state footy in tas was very healthy. 15-20K at the GF from memory.

1990 Hobart victory being my favourite.

Mark Colgrave, Kyle Wilson, Steve Gilbee etc.
Great day that one!
I remember that clear as a bell even 27 years later. The absolute disappointment of 1989, the Top Five in 1990 were all dangerous, ironically the only two sides I didn't rate that highly were New Norfolk (they were spent by late-season) and North Launceston (seemed to be up and down).
Clarence were on a tear and looked like they could do anything, Sandy Bay were looking hideously dangerous after they were sitting second bottom and sacked their coach mid season and replaced him with this old guy that hadn't coached in 20 years (Geoff Whitton). I actually thought that if we didn't win then they might go all the way.
Hobart were great at times but were slow starters.
Qualifying Final at York Park and there were a handful of Hobart supporters in amongst about 5,000 northerners. Hobart controlled that game until about 20 minutes through the third quarter when Golding tore the game apart and got something like 43 touches and Kremerskothen kicked a bag.
Tigers were 24 points up in the third and lost by 12 points.
First Semi Final, bright and clear at North Hobart and Sandy Bay ran rampant in the first 17-18 minutes and led 7.0 (42) to Hobart 0.4 (4) and we were cooked and looked to be heading out in straight sets.
Then Sandy Bay's president Bill Sorell was involved in an exchange with "Zinger" (Kyle Wilson) down on the boundary line and he kicked a pearler of a goal and Zinger's given him the double-handed two finger salute and from then on Hobart went nuts and kicked the next seven to go into quarter time up by four points. Hobart kicked the next seven to make it FOURTEEN goals in a row and the contest was over. Back and forth after that but Hobart won by about six goals.
Preliminary Final was against Clarence, Hobart hadn't beaten Clarence at North Hobart in several years and the Roos were talking themselves up bigtime.
Hobart got five goals up late in the second quarter but Tony Morwood had been hit behind play by Cabbage Riewoldt and his face was a mess.
Third Quarter and Clarence got a run on and hit the front late in the quarter and got twelve points up, their players were swan-diving all over each other in the middle of North Hobart thinking they had it won by this stage.
Last quarter and the Tigers got back into it, Hally and Mick Winter start marking everything, Lamprill gets kinghit by Robin Kidney from Clarence and Winter raced in and got us back in front, Darren Winter from Clarence sling tackles Mick Winter on the 40m arc and his kick bounced about five different ways and plopped through for a goal to sink Clarence.
Never forget the TV footage of rows and rows of Clarence supporters all standing behind the Gorringe Stand end goals all collectively dropping their heads as that goal went through, and one Hobart supporter amongst them jumping up and down like a madman haha!
The Grand Final was a huge day, people everywhere, North Launceston had two teams in, Burnie Hawks had their reserves team in and Glenorchy had teams in the thirds and reserves.
Robins won the Colts by not much, Hawks took the Magoos comfortably and then the big match got underway and it started raining. Wet weather was not where we played our best footy.
"Boots" Marchant tackled Steven Golding from North Launceston right in front of the Plaister Stand about 2 minutes in and Golding slips on the greasy turf and injures his "good" knee and stretchered off and taken to the hospital (and never played football again).
First half was a real sea-saw battle, one side would get away, then the other would peg it back, never more than two goals in it all day, early in the third quarter Mick Winter lifted Hobart by kicking a couple of great goals to put Hobart up but from then on - armwrestle.
Three quarter time and it's squeaky bum time (64-64).
Last quarter and Hobart's kicking down to the Domain end, packed house, all the Tigers supporters at that end and "Brer" Fox inboards one to "Boots" Marchant who's been switched from the backline to CHF. Goal. Then another.
Then Mick Winter clunks every ball that comes within 20m of him. Then Walshy pings one and then all of a sudden it's 36 points the difference. Still not confident.
More goals, 51 points up, then Hally bangs one from 70m out to make it 58.
We are going ballistic. Jumping up and down. Crying. Cheering. Roaring.
The moment the siren went. Will never forget it.
I miss those days!

Last edited:
PS: Speaking of Tigers from that 1990 premiership team, I ran into Mark Colegrave at work yesterday, he still looks fit enough to play, still works along the road at the TMAG.
Talking to Dale Hall today at work.

My earliest football memories where going to the TCA with my Grandfather in the late 60’s and sitting in the top of the HC Smith stand, my grandparents lived in the Glebe back then it was working class not a latte sipping green to be seen then. Dad had also played football for Macalburn and Hobart Reserves.

First Final matches were in 1973 watching Hobart March to the Premiership over the unbeatable Sandy Bay. I think Dad wanted to go with his mates to GF and have a few quite ones so I had to listen to the game via the 936 radio coverage with Don Closs ?

As I was living in Glenorchy and would later carve out a mediocre underage and reserve career at KGV, my friends convinced me to support the Pies. My First Grand Final I attended was the 1975 State Grand Final Glenorchy Vs North Launceston what a game that was with great players on both teams… “gee this is great being a Norchy supporter” I thought….. then after it was disappointment after disappointment six losses in the big one (5 in arrow 76-80) till 1983. The biggest for me being 1979 24,968 people in to watch that game could not move on the Argyle Street terrace to be beaten by Clarence was a big kick in the guts. I kept going to all GF through till 1999. When the SFL made Glenorchy play in Green, Hobart Play in Yellow and North Hobart play in a Port Melbourne Jumper I lost interest Big time funny Clarence did not have to change.

To be honest last GF one I attended was 2006. Once again to see Clarence kick our bottoms

There was something special about a Grand Final at North Hobart with the amphitheatre the roar that would go up. Clearly remember Golding going down in the 1991 Grand Final, new it was curtains for them at that moment such a Gun Player, actually North Launceston became Glenorchy of the 90’s until they cracked it in 1995, then the mantle went to Burnie Dockers the dummy spits of Peter German great days

I try to get to 4-5 roster games a season but the guys I go with are always looking to head off before the end of a game there biggest complaint is the lack of atmosphere at games today.

Last edited:
Cannot beat grand final with a big crowd at North Hobart. As the posters above have said the atmosphere was unbelievable. Unfortunately those days are long gone.
I remember watching the 1988 grand final and was sitting on top of the concrete race at the North Hobart rooms, when Zinger Wilson clocked a Glenorchy player 2 metres in front of me, this started the biggest all in brawl seen for years and there I was a 14yo right in the middle of it. Never forget that day.

My earliest football memories where going to the TCA with my Grandfather in the late 60’s and sitting in the top of the HC Smith stand, my grandparents lived in the Glebe back then it was working class not a latte sipping green to be seen then. Dad had also played football for Macalburn and Hobart Reserves.

First Final matches were in 1973 watching Hobart March to the Premiership over the unbeatable Sandy Bay. I think Dad wanted to go with his mates to GF and have a few quite ones so I had to listen to the game via the 936 radio coverage with Don Closs ?

As I was living in Glenorchy and would later carve out a mediocre underage and reserve career at KGV, my friends convinced me to support the Pies. My First Grand Final I attended was the 1975 State Grand Final Glenorchy Vs North Launceston what a game that was with great players on both teams… “gee this is great being a Norchy supporter” I thought….. then after it was disappointment after disappointment six losses in the big one (5 in arrow 76-80) till 1983. The biggest for me being 1979 24,968 people in to watch that game could not move on the Argyle Street terrace to be beaten by Clarence was a big kick in the guts. I kept going to all GF through till 1999. When the SFL made Glenorchy play in Green, Hobart Play in Yellow and North Hobart play in a Port Melbourne Jumper I lost interest Big time funny Clarence did not have to change.

To be honest last GF one I attended was 2006. Once again to see Clarence kick our bottoms

There was something special about a Grand Final at North Hobart with the amphitheatre the roar that would go up. Clearly remember Golding going down in the 1991 Grand Final, new it was curtains for them at that moment such a Gun Player, actually North Launceston became Glenorchy of the 90’s until they cracked it in 1995, then the mantle went to Burnie Dockers the dummy spits of Peter German great days

I try to get to 4-5 roster games a season but the guys I go with are always looking to head off before the end of a game there biggest complaint is the lack of atmosphere at games today.

Dad tells me some interesting stories about the 75 State Premiership, him and my uncle went to that.

I went to Glenorchy's first game as the Storm, I remember it fondly as they battled Claremont at Claremont, we beat their reserves and one of their players cheerfully abused us saying we'd never be black and white again. No idea who it was, some young backman for them. Tosser. Lol. Seniors kicked off with Chris Ryan being decked and getting a free goal. We didn't really put them away until the last quarter in that game. From memory, it was long ago, and all. I hated the jumper and I didn't go to many games with them as the Storm. I remember seeing Lauderdale wearing the Geelong colours, I cannot remember the year of this it was just after Ian Carter has passed away so maybe it was still 2001.

Lauderdale to their credit lined up and paid their respects which was good of them, they didn't have to. I went to a few games when Glenorchy became the Magpies again, their very first game in black and white, also their reopening of the Hall of Fame, we were invited by a couple of former Glenorchy players to attend the dinner beforehand but we didn't.

I got to see Kingston Beach Oval, some guy there claimed he once played for Sandy Bay in the old TFL as well, reckoned he played in the reserves Grand Final for Sandy Bay, only problem the year he quoted was Glenorchy and Hobart. Kingston beat Glenorchy on the mudheap, we looked horrible that day. Also went to the game where Hobart unveiled their Lions jumper, they wanted Alistair Lynch to be there to do it and do a footy clinic, Baker was saying Lynch wanted over 1,000 to do it so they didn't bother.

I think the next year they had a day where they wore their old jumpers against Glenorchy, I am pretty sure. Kingpin will be able to talk more about that, I think that was the game I ran into him at.

2015 I had gone to more Glenorchy games then I had in an entire decade. It wasn't bad being able to watch Glenorchy and seeing them win some games, though their loss at Lauderdale annoyed me a bit. I was at them to just take photos though so it wasn't too bad.

It has always been a bit up and down supporting Glenorchy especially on Grand Final Day, I was going to go to the 2006 Grand Final but I had to work, probably a good thing since they lost that one. 2009 was a tough one, losing it on my birthday lol. But even though every loss is hard I still get back to supporting them, though since I am now SFL I cannot get to many if any games now.

I managed the Tigers/Glenorchy game at KGV last year because I had to take photos for the STJFL game, it was good seeing the Pies win in my only game for the year.

1987 TFL Statewide League Grand Final.
Saturday, 12th September 1987.
Nth Hobart 23.20 (158) d Glenorchy 16.10 (106)
Attendance: 17,094 at North Hobart.
(Source: World Of Sport, 13/9/87 - Tas-TV)

1987 TFL Statewide League Grand Final.
Saturday, 12th September 1987.
North Hobart 23.20 (158) d Glenorchy 16.10 (106)
Attendance: 17,094 at North Hobart.
First Half.

Second Half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1998: Round 3 - TFL Statewide League.
Clarence 18.13 (121) d Southern Cats 14.12 (96)
Attendance: 1,510 at Bellerive Oval.
Full match, courtesy of ABC-TV.

Full final quarter of the 1974 TFL Grand Final between North Hobart and Sandy Bay from North Hobart Oval on TVT-6.
Commentators are Harry Ward, Jim Manson and Burnie Payne.
A crowd of 16,274 saw the Demons take the flag over the Seagulls by 28 points.

"TANFL Replays" Saturday Night football theme from TVT-6 in 1983.
Checkout the old Bellerive Oval (Blundstone Arena) in a lot of those matchday shots.

As much as I was not a great fan of the Devils and the VFL and our involvement thereof, having watched this footage I realise how good a standard of footy it was.

Victorian Football League: Round 12.
Saturday, 28th June 2003.
Tasmania 19.13 (127)
Port Melbourne 18.11 (119)
At North Hobart.

1980 TFL Round 2.
Saturday, 24th May 1980.
Glenorchy 17.15 (117) d Hobart 12.12 (84)
Attendance: 2,100 at KGV Park.

Check out the old KGV with cars all around the fence, no hill and no Anfield Street Stand back then, I seem to recall the scoreboard was somewhere opposite to its current spot in the place where the stand is.
The two sides slugged it out in the mud this day and would go on to meet twice in the finals with the Tigers taking both games decisively including the grand final.

As much as I was not a great fan of the Devils and the VFL and our involvement thereof, having watched this footage I realise how good a standard of footy it was.

Victorian Football League: Round 12.
Saturday, 28th June 2003.
Tasmania 19.13 (127)
Port Melbourne 18.11 (119)
At North Hobart.

It was a great standard. The only issue with it was Wadey and his mob of muppets tryed to go for glory and win the lot with Norf Melb players and didn't give the locals much of a go and it backfired. And moving every game to Hobart was tactictal genius [if you feel like pissing 2/3s of the state off].

1980 TFL Round 2.
Saturday, 24th May 1980.
Glenorchy 17.15 (117) d Hobart 12.12 (84)
Attendance: 2,100 at KGV Park.

Check out the old KGV with cars all around the fence, no hill and no Anfield Street Stand back then, I seem to recall the scoreboard was somewhere opposite to its current spot in the place where the stand is.
The two sides slugged it out in the mud this day and would go on to meet twice in the finals with the Tigers taking both games decisively including the grand final.

Seems terribly muddy for a round 2 game!!!
Wonder why it was so late in the year [almost June] to have a round 2 game then?

Seems terribly muddy for a round 2 game!!!
Wonder why it was so late in the year [almost June] to have a round 2 game then?
That was because the TFL Season started very late and was shortened to fifteen rounds to accomodate the inaugural Winfield Statewide Cup which featured all twenty clubs in the NWFU, NTFA and TFL, a 21st club (Smithton) also became eligible to participate as they left their local north-western competition at the end of 1979 to join the NWFU from 1980.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winfield_Statewide_Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back