TSL: The Run Home

Remove this Banner Ad

footyman

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Interesting last three rounds, there's a few crucial games to come. Glenorchy v North Hobart this week is an "eight point game", and could well determine the venue for the Elimination Final in week one of the finals series. Yet, I can't see the ladder changing from how it stands at the moment!!

Launceston
Currently: 15-0
The run home: Burnie, South Launceston and Devonport.
They finish top. Win this week against Burnie, and they will go through the season undefeated. They've rolled them twice this season, easily, so why not again?

Finishing position: 1st (18-0)

Clarence
Currently: 12-3
The run home: Hobart, Lauderdale and North Hobart
You’d have to fancy them against all of those teams, although Lauderdale and North Hobart will be throwing everything at them to pick up a vital four points and cement their finals spot. Barring three losses, Clarence won’t move from second spot and get a qualifying final at Bellerive in week one.

Finishing position: 2nd (15-3)

Burnie
Currently: 10-5
The run home: Launceston, Devonport and Glenorchy
Big test this week to see whether they are a legitimate chance, but have been beaten by big margins in their two meetings against Launceston so far this season. Assuming they lose this week, but account for Devonport next week, then I’ll predict them to lose to Glenorchy in the final round. Their position on the ladder is certainly helped by the fact they play Devonport, South Launceston and North Launceston three times each, and played Hobart twice. To date, they haven’t beaten a side higher than 7th on the ladder. Are they a legit contender, or just a pretender whose been flattered by a favourable draw? A good percentage should see them hold 3rd, even if they only win one more game.

Finishing position: 3rd (11-7)

North Hobart
Currently: 9-6
The run home: Glenorchy, Hobart, Clarence
Huge game on Friday night, can skip two games clear of Glenorchy with a win and more than likely stitch up a spot in the finals. They should account for Hobart in Round 17, but likely to drop the game against Clarence in the final round. Despite the fact they had a very tough game in the conditions on Saturday, while Glenorchy had the weekend off, I’m going to back them in to win this week, and finish on 11 wins.

Finishing position: 4th (11-7)

Glenorchy
Currently: 8-7
The run home: North Hobart, North Launceston and Burnie.
Probably the toughest draw of any of the sides in contention still – simply, they don’t play any of the bottom three sides. Must win this week against North Hobart, they should account for North Launceston and I’ll fancy them to beat Burnie in the last game of the season at KGV. The fresh legs up against a six day back up after a game in the wet for North Hobart gives them some advantage this week, yet I’ve gone for North Hobart to win.

Finishing position: 5th (10-8)

Lauderdale
Currently: 8-7
The run home: South Launceston, Clarence and Hobart
I think Lauderdale have two wins for the rest of the season – South Launceston and Hobart. That will get them to 10-8 by the end of the season but likely to just miss out on percentage. They really need to do a job on South Launceston this week, and back up with Hobart in the final game to get their percentage up.

Finishing position: 6th (10-8)

Big call not to count in North Launceston as well. Currently 1 game outside the five but have a poor percentage, they have Devonport, Glenorchy at home which they could win and South Launceston, based on how other games go, they could also sneak in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back