True Crime

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.sahistorians.org.au/175/...uary-1978-dismissal-of-harold-salisbury.shtml

17 January 1978 Dismissal of Harold Salisbury

On 17 January 1978 the Police Commissioner, Harold Salisbury, was dismissed by the South Australian Government. The Premier, Don Dunstan, stated that Mr Salisbury had 'so misled the Government that wrong information was given to Parliament and the people'. This related to 'inaccurate information as to the activities of the [police] Special Branch' supplied to the Government. It was claimed that Special Branch held files on a large number of people not convicted of any offence. An enquiry conducted by Mr Acting Justice White of the South Australian Supreme Court found a relationship between the Special Branch and ASIO and reported that while there were files on persons and organisations 'reasonably suspected of being potential security risks', there were also records relating to matters, persons and organisations 'having no connection whatsoever with genuine security risks'.

Controversy raged in South Australia with many people coming to the support of Salisbury who was seen as a man of integrity. However, the dismissal stood. Later a Royal Commission conducted on the case upheld the Government's view that the Commissioner had failed in his duty to be responsible to the elected government. Mr Salisbury returned to England.

Advertiser, 18 January 1976, p. 1.
John Summers, 'The Salisbury Affair', in Dean Jaensch (ed), The Flinders History of South Australia Political History, 1986,

Last edited:
Salisbury was an odd appointment.

An English social conservative critical of "the permissive society" was always going to butt heads with our progressive premier. But Dunstan thought he was getting a "yes man" who would do as told. Turns out he didn't get that man. Royal Commission into Salisbury's sacking was a farce.

Among the many Dunstan myths, legends and rumours is the story about him (allegedly) incinerating the "Pink Files" at the Centennial Park crematorium. Fancy a salacious read? Then pick this up...

4503381.jpg

O'Connell's and/or Adelaide Booksellers usually have a copy.

Ceruto claimed to have written a sequel. But it's never seen the light of day. Supposedly left six copies on disks with different people. He died of a heroin overdose in '91. Bit of rumour about that, too...

Henry Keough out on bail awaiting a retrial :eek:

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2014/12/22/

A man convicted of drowning his fiancee in the bathtub of their Adelaide home has been freed on bail after an appeal court granted him a retrial.

Henry Victor Keogh was jailed for at least 25 years after being convicted of murdering Anna-Jane Cheney in March 1994.

In the Supreme Court on Monday, Justice John Sulan said Keogh should be released on bail in light of an appeal court's decision to grant him a retrial. The Court of Criminal Appeal ruled on Friday that Keogh should be granted a retrial, saying there had been a substantial miscarriage of justice.

A forensic pathologist who conducted Ms Cheney's autopsy had recanted on aspects of the evidence he provided at Keogh's trial, the court heard.

Prosecutors did not oppose the granting of bail, which will see Keogh home for Christmas for the first time in 20 years.

Manock strikes again...
His handling of the Stevenson murder was terrible as well. He used outdated procedures to determine critically important aspects. David Szach, the young man who was convicted and jailed for the murder refused to accept release on parole because it meant he had to acknowlege his crime. The government brought in legislation to allow Szach to be paroled without that aspect. It was seen as an admission by the government that their chief pathologist had effed up big time.

Salisbury was an odd appointment.

An English social conservative critical of "the permissive society" was always going to butt heads with our progressive premier. But Dunstan thought he was getting a "yes man" who would do as told. Turns out he didn't get that man. Royal Commission into Salisbury's sacking was a farce.

Among the many Dunstan myths, legends and rumours is the story about him (allegedly) incinerating the "Pink Files" at the Centennial Park crematorium. Fancy a salacious read? Then pick this up...

4503381.jpg

O'Connell's and/or Adelaide Booksellers usually have a copy.

Ceruto claimed to have written a sequel. But it's never seen the light of day. Supposedly left six copies on disks with different people. He died of a heroin overdose in '91. Bit of rumour about that, too...
A great book. Don was a close mate of Don Storen who was very good mates with a few characters two of whom were named Brown and Woodards. Many of Dons mates were in the 'pink files' and that is why they were destroyed. Had the special branch been able to continue or at least the 'pink files' acted upon the 'family' may have been nipped in the bud.

Storen almost got his comeuppance in Indonesia. Did some time so I guess that's something. But geez...

His handling of the Stevenson murder was terrible as well. He used outdated procedures to determine critically important aspects. David Szach, the young man who was convicted and jailed for the murder...

Szach's record of interview from Coober Pedy is sadly hilarious. Like a bad episode of Law & Order. One where the villain fesses up to everything.

Later, he was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease.

Poor bastard got dealt some bad hands...

A great book. Don was a close mate of Don Storen who was very good mates with a few characters two of whom were named Brown and Woodards. Many of Dons mates were in the 'pink files' and that is why they were destroyed. Had the special branch been able to continue or at least the 'pink files' acted upon the 'family' may have been nipped in the bud.

wow ... don't mention this in the 'family murders' thread on the Crime board! You'll be burned at the stake ,,, they'll have nothing to do with any high profile involvemnt in this

wow ... don't mention this in the 'family murders' thread on the Crime board! You'll be burned at the stake ,,, they'll have nothing to do with any high profile involvemnt in this
Yes, I have held back from commenting generally but it is well known that Don Storen threw Dons 70th birthday party. It is a fact that Storen was very close to the 'doctor' and 'legal identity' in the whole 'family' scenario and you can throw in the 'well known lawyer' into that. Being mentioned in the 'pink files' doesn't mean that someone was in 'the family' or a murderer, it is just that quite a few vital names known to be in the files came up when police were investigating different murders and abuse cases.

Storen almost got his comeuppance in Indonesia. Did some time so I guess that's something. But geez...

Szach's record of interview from Coober Pedy is sadly hilarious. Like a bad episode of Law & Order. One where the villain fesses up to everything.

Later, he was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease.

He sure has been. The whole Stevenson scenario information seemed to suggest that there were some very ruthless people hanging around at the time who were far more likely to resort to murder than David. The list of people who frequented the Stevenson house was quite unbelievable. If you read the court information and media coverage you find a cross over into another murder as well via Gino Gambardella who knew a friend of that particular victim.
In 1979 there were three murders that had common names that bobbed up in their investigations. Police arrested people in two of the murders that year. One was a teenager arrested for the murder of a high priced lawyer and the other was a doctor from a wealthy family who was arrested for the murder of a street drug user. No prizes for guessing which one got off.

Yeah, it's pretty important to make the distinction between those guilty by association and those who actually committed the murders...

Looking at the big footy crime forum ... newbie comes on seea a thread 'bail jokes' ... someone venting about judges letting people out on bail.

next minute ... newbie posts a 'bali' joke ....lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I_Don't_Care said:
Once...I was that newbie

True ... we all were.

I remember doing my first ever thread ... was scary :)

Anyone game enough to mention the former pollie that Storen 'hung out' with in Indonesia?
Be careful ...

Catching Milat series 8.45pm this Sunday ch7 ... as house rules is on ... means about 9pm

Catching Milat series 8.45pm this Sunday ch7 ... as house rules is on ... means about 9pm

Not expecting much but I'm definitely gonna watch it.

Highly recommend Sins of the Brother by Mark Whittaker, an exhaustive account of the backpacker murders.

Really digs deep into Milat family history and provides a fascinating behind-the-scenes look at the investigation and police politics.

Probably the best local true crime book I've read...

2870085.jpg

Highly recommend Sins of the Brother by Mark Whittaker, an exhaustive account of the backpacker murders.

Really digs deep into Milat family history and provides a fascinating behind-the-scenes look at the investigation and police politics.

View attachment 134550
Yep its a good read...all the Milats were crazy fockers. The tv series evidently was based on that book

Perhaps a little dry but the book R V Milat...A Case Study in Cross Examination authored by the Junior Counsel Mark Howard to Prosecuting Counsel Mark Tedeschi QC is an interesting read.

If you Google the title there are some interesting excerpts from the cross examination in a couple of reviews/articles.

View attachment 134550

You may be interested in the following; Published by www.fivemile.com.au

Outside the Law...ISBN 1 74178 179 5 Outside the Law 2...978 1 74178 893 8
Crime Scene Investigations...978 1 74178 409 1 Forensics...978 1 74124 080 1

Vikki Petraitis is the main author along with Robin Bowles, John Kerr and others.

View attachment 134550

Try this s**t on for size.

https://books.jbhifi.com.au/Book/yo...brien/449603?gclid=CMGKhPmnxcUCFUdvvAodOSYA5g

Remove this Banner Ad

Back