Test Trav Head

Remove this Banner Ad

Just used the search function, and can't believe he doesn't have his own thread. What a player he's been over the last couple of years.

Should have played in the first test here, after being man of the series in 2 of the previous 3, and probably should have been ahead of Warner in another.

What a win!!

Just used the search function, and can't believe he doesn't have his own thread. What a player he's been over the last couple of years.

Should have played in the first test here, after being man of the series in 2 of the previous 3, and probably should have been ahead of Warner in another.

What a win!!
What was the 2 of the previous 3 series he was Man of The Series in?

What was the 2 of the previous 3 series he was Man of The Series in?
I don't know. I might have made it up. Sounds good though.

Probably thinking of West Indies, and Ashes, so only 2 out of 3 of home series. Should have been all 3 though.

I don't know. I might have made it up. Sounds good though.

Probably thinking of West Indies, and Ashes, so only 2 out of 3 of home series. Should have been all 3 though.
Labuschagne was MOTS against West Indies and the Ashes was 5 series ago.

Yep, totally misremembering. Marnus had a brilliant series. Trav probably 2nd best though.

His innings today was top class and exactly what was required for the team. Opening could be his spot in Asia facing the harder ball. He's been class opening the batting in ODI cricket too.

Opening is his spot in England and Aus imo.

In fact I think he will be Warner/Sehwag-esque opening at home for the rest of his career.

People are completely overlooking the GABBA innings for reasons I have no idea about.

You are not getting a more juiced up pitch than that in England and Head was the only player in that entire game that ever looked comfortable on it.

If we move him when we go to England, we will be repeating the same mistake we did in the 1st test.

He's a world class ODI opener at the moment. He just delivered a match winning knock on an absolute mine field in India opening. He has the game (and more importantly the confidence and form) to do it

Head
Khawaja
Lab
Smith

Is a very intimidating top 4 at the moment.

We need a new #5 more than an opener at the moment imo.

I ... haven't been a believer.
He's been undeniably entertaining.
But up until a probably-unfair recent time have I really learned to value what he brings to the team.
I've thought him a little streaky, a little undependable. But maybe for a little too long.

I didn't lament his absence in the 1st Test of the BTG - I'd have been happy enough to leave out both he and David Warner.
But if push came to shove I'd have retained Head over Warner - point is, I owe Travis Head some respect.

He batted brilliantly today on a minefield; played some false shots, sure, but counter-attacked in a way that none of his countrymen have in this series to date.

I can just see the headlines tomorrow:

Head: ''Job Done''.

In fact I think he will be Warner/Sehwag-esque opening at home for the rest of his career.

People are completely overlooking the GABBA innings for reasons I have no idea about.

You are not getting a more juiced up pitch than that in England and Head was the only player in that entire game that ever looked comfortable on it.

If we move him when we go to England, we will be repeating the same mistake we did in the 1st test.

He's a world class ODI opener at the moment. He just delivered a match winning knock on an absolute mine field in India opening. He has the game (and more importantly the confidence and form) to do it

Head
Khawaja
Lab
Smith

Handscomb can then slot in at 5 if that's the case

Head got Man of the Series in the home Ashes win. Should have got it ahead of Warner in the South Africa series imo as well.

21/22 Ashes

357 runs @ 59.50 - 2 x 100's / 1 x 50's

22/23 South Africa Series

213 runs @ 53.25 - 0 x 100's / 3 x 50's - 92, 0, 51, 70 compared to Warner's 0, 3, 200, 10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Head
Khawaja
Lab
Smith

Matt. Short.

Head
Khawaja
Lab
Smith

I'm still not convinced he's a natural opener tbh. White ball formats yes but he's had too much success at no.5 in test cricket to suddenly move him at the top of the order in England. He's too important for the middle order.

Don't get me wrong, he has been brilliant for the team in the last 18 months or so but to me he's a perfect no.5. That innings he played with Green in Hobart in the last ashes shows the importance of a counter-attacking player in the middle order. England have it with Brook/Bairstow and you can see the success that brings. Marnus, Smith and Green all bat similar in the way they like to start slow and build an innings from there. If we're 300/3 or 30/3, Head is perfect for the situation to get in and assert his attacking style of play.

To me it seems too much of a risk to test Head as an opener and then have a new no.5 who isn't completely settled in the heat of an ashes series. Our middle order of Marnus, Smith, Head and Green have been together for a while now. Pick an in-form opener to partner Ussie at the top and it's no real loss if they come off or not.

Trav has to go back to 5 for the Ashes. That is his spot for Test Cricket.
The Marnus, Smith & Head at 3,4 & 5 is the one thing I feel most confident about batting over the next few years.

The Marnus, Smith & Head at 3,4 & 5 is the one thing I feel most confident about batting over the next few years.
Green as well i am convinced about, our batting line up looks really solid if we could just find another opener (two soon)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back