Training Today - Monday 1/2

Remove this Banner Ad

Urmoe

Premiership Player
North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Dec 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
Wellsy and Patch were back doing semi-competitive stuff.

Well it was very competitive complete with tackling but it was stop start type stuff where they would set up scenarios and stoppage type stuff so wasnt full on match practice. But when they played they played hard.

Hope both boys take part in Wednesday's intraclub.

The boys look the goods. Strong, quick, lots of clear calling and supporting on the pitch, guys getting pissed off for getting 'dragged' (I think PT was trying to manage their fitness and the work they did) more direct or decisive play (even though they go sideways still its with more urgency and decisiveness), not much of the old stop start stuttering stuff of recent years gone by. They seem to have a nice understanding of what is expected of them on the ground. Hope this translates well when we come up against other teams as it is hard to judge at the moment.

With so many guys on different programmes this time of year it is hard to tell who is actually injured but Thomas was on the bike (think he has a quad strain) and Obst was helping out the landscapers lifting up boulders as the crane broke down. I didnt see Cunnington and Goldstein was stretching on the boundary for most of the session (probably trying to get taller).

It was hard to tell who was who today for some reason, sunny day and a lot of the play on the outer side and the boys have stopped wearing numbers on their backs this pre-season. Not sure if this is tactical to try and put the opposition scouting squads off but with so many new boys in the team all looking the same it threw me.

I missed the start and end of the session, anyone else get down there that can help me out?

Thanks Urmoe. Great report.
I was wondering, mostly from previous reports stating that we have been doing a lot of kick-in training drills this preseason, what exactly are they doing?
Are they all clustered up in the middle of the 50 metre line and then spreading out wide just before the kick, or have players in certain zones etc.

I was wondering, mostly from previous reports stating that we have been doing a lot of kick-in training drills this preseason, what exactly are they doing?
Are they all clustered up in the middle of the 50 metre line and then spreading out wide just before the kick, or have players in certain zones etc.
Apart from the general match practice stuff a lot of the drills I have seen has been more working way out of the back half and concentrating on delivery into the forward 50, without necessarily having a kick in. They might start in a pocket or high half back flank/wing.

Or stoppage type stuff and then delivery to the 50.

But I guess its hard to cover all aspects of the game at every training session so it depends on what session you go to. And it depends what side of the ground you are on as they have different groups out on the park at the one time and as you are at ground level and nearly always on the wing, you dont clearly get to see the kick ins stuff.

As you can imagine they mix it up in the match practice stuff so there is no focus on kick in long, or short, it just tends to be try and find a free man.

I'm pretty sure Dean Laidley has maintained his Big Footy account for this very reason, and since we meet Port Adelaide in round 1, I am prepared to reveal the following...

During kick in drills, all of our team (apart from the kicker) converges on Euge's balcony (to approximate the coach's box) and then at the appropriate time, they all break and sprint up Arden St, turn at Macaulay Rd, do a lap of the pool and then re-emerge in the goal square so that the kicker can hit them up with 150m lace out bullet pass.

I'm pretty sure Dean Laidley has maintained his Big Footy account for this very reason, and since we meet Port Adelaide in round 1, I am prepared to reveal the following...

During kick in drills, all of our team (apart from the kicker) converges on Euge's balcony (to approximate the coach's box) and then at the appropriate time, they all break and sprint up Arden St, turn at Macaulay Rd, do a lap of the pool and then re-emerge in the goal square so that the kicker can hit them up with 150m lace out bullet pass.

You irresponsible fool! I recall my father's advice taken from his time in WW11. "Loose lips sink ships".

Cheers Urmoe:thumbsu:
I'll be sure to keep that information a secret lest Laidley hears about it. We wouldn't want those people who has access to the inner sanctum worried:thumbsu:

Thanks for the report Urmoe.

I know what you meant about being decisive. I noticed the guys switching the play when they were up here. I nearly fell over, considering it was a quick switch to open up play, not because they had nothing else on offer and had been called to play on.

Good to hear Obba is helping with the redevelopment too. He is a clubman of Browny-like potential.

Thanks for the report Urmoe. Do your employers wonder if you have a fatal illness yet?

Thanks, Urmoe. I appreciate it that you are risking your job to keep me posted on training. Keep up the good work.

Don't worry guys, I just get the wooden bird to tap on the keyboard every now and then. Actually Im in line for a promotion as my productivity has gone up.

I know what you meant about being decisive. I noticed the guys switching the play when they were up here. I nearly fell over, considering it was a quick switch to open up play, not because they had nothing else on offer and had been called to play on.
Its refreshing, but I keep saying that the big test will be against opposition with their own game plans. But so far so good.

Don't worry guys, I just get the wooden bird to tap on the keyboard every now and then. Actually Im in line for a promotion as my productivity has gone up.

I know a bloke named Hank Scorpio who is looking to hire someone just like you.

(Cheers for the reports, Urmoe.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What time do North Melbourne train and is it at the North Melbourne Cricket oval in Arden street?

If I get time I may go for a watch if I am allow?

What time do North Melbourne train and is it at the North Melbourne Cricket oval in Arden street?

If I get time I may go for a watch if I am allow?

Tuesday at 3.30pm, if you're meaning to get there tomorrow, and yes, that's the location.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back