Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would you throw McAuliffe's name into your post? He is 1st year player who has played only a handful of games. No brainer that he have question marks. However, you could have used a number of other names like Banks, Dow, Ralphsmith. Seems a bit odd to me that you mention Kane.

I really don't understand the need by some here to trade off any player with some curreny due to their age. West Coast yesterday still had the following experienced players in their side Barrass (28), Cripps (32), Darling (31), Duggan (27), Kelly (29), McGovern (32), Ryan (27), Sheed (29), Waterman (26) Hunt (29). (10 players) with Yeo (30) on the sidelines.

Compared to our list of decent players:

Vlastuin(30), Baker (26), Taranto(26), Short (28), D Rioli (27), Lynch (31), Balta (24), Hopper (27), Nankervis (29), Bolton (25), Broad (31).

Grimes (32), Prestia (31) & Martin (32) you would think are all gone or possibly gone at years end.

Graham, Short, Picket & McIntosh we wouldn't get much currency for in a trade so apart from Short I haven't included.

With talk of Baker going, it would leave us with just 9 players decent enough from that list above. Yet some guys here still want to trade someone like D.Rioli because of their age and they still hold some currency. Thats madness. We can still go to the draft without cutting our list to absolute pieces.
He said McAuliffe because I named him in my list of current young players that will (hopefully) form the core we'll still have 5 years from now, who will be then in their prime footballing age.

I'm all for trading Rioli for the right price. Think about it, will he be here in 3-5 years from now when we're likely to be a genuine shot at finals again? He will be 30-32, not young by any stretch and certainly not for a dashing defender whose biggest asset is pace. I also don't think he is nearly as good as he is being made out to be.

So, whilst his currency is at its highest and whilst we need top draft picks to rebuild - both things NOW - why not trade him?

You can't lose everyone and we won't, there will still be some senior players around, plus coaches, plus ex-players, but sucking onfield for a little while is no big deal. What's the point of keeping Rioli and Baker and finishing 12th to 14th when we could just finish 16th to 18th and get the rebuild going? Again, neither are likely to be here when we make a push again, this isn't 2016, we are in full rebuild territory.

Everyone says you can't do a North Melbourne and just go for youth, but I disagree, there's something else wrong at that club.

The core 9-11 players I mentioned, 2-4 years of top 5 or top 10 picks, get some fringe 20-22 year olds along the way, and then in 4 or 5 years we can bringing in the icing like we did with Prestia/Nankervis/Caddy.

You need a core of players around the same age playing together for a long period of time, that is one of the key factors in creating a premiership team I reckon.

He said McAuliffe because I named him in my list of current young players that will (hopefully) form the core we'll still have 5 years from now, who will be then in their prime footballing age.

I'm all for trading Rioli for the right price. Think about it, will he be here in 3-5 years from now when we're likely to be a genuine shot at finals again? He will be 30-32, not young by any stretch and certainly not for a dashing defender whose biggest asset is pace. I also don't think he is nearly as good as he is being made out to be.

So, whilst his currency is at its highest and whilst we need top draft picks to rebuild - both things NOW - why not trade him?

You can't lose everyone and we won't, there will still be some senior players around, plus coaches, plus ex-players, but sucking onfield for a little while is no big deal. What's the point of keeping Rioli and Baker and finishing 12th to 14th when we could just finish 16th to 18th and get the rebuild going? Again, neither are likely to be here when we make a push again, this isn't 2016, we are in full rebuild territory.

Everyone says you can't do a North Melbourne and just go for youth, but I disagree, there's something else wrong at that club.

The core 9-11 players I mentioned, 2-4 years of top 5 or top 10 picks, get some fringe 20-22 year olds along the way, and then in 4 or 5 years we can bringing in the icing like we did with Prestia/Nankervis/Caddy.

You need a core of players around the same age playing together for a long period of time, that is one of the key factors in creating a premiership team I reckon.
It's not about being around for our next premiership, he has to be around for the current young guys that will need to lean on the likes of Rioli to improve their game instead of getting bashed up every week by more experienced and bigger opponents.
You keep the talent and you cut out the fringe players. Everyone is acting like we need to get as much picks this year as we can, this isn't a quick fix and what happens if this trade period is a bust and we just end up wasting all these picks? Then you've sold the decent players off for garbage and made our team worse.
Invest into 1 draft at your peril this is going to take multiple drafts.

Strong clubs dont panic, we are a strong club. We are also in a much better position than most clubs who have just come off a successful period, there's no need to try and fast track the risk.

It's not about being around for our next premiership, he has to be around for the current young guys that will need to lean on the likes of Rioli to improve their game instead of getting bashed up every week by more experienced and bigger opponents.
You keep the talent and you cut out the fringe players. Everyone is acting like we need to get as much picks this year as we can, this isn't a quick fix and what happens if this trade period is a bust and we just end up wasting all these picks? Then you've sold the decent players off for garbage and made our team worse.

Strong clubs dont panic, we are a strong club. We are also in a much better position than most clubs who have just come off a successful period, there's no need to try and fast track the risk.
Keep the talent trade the fringe
Trade Rioli and you lose his brothers, Bolton, jnr
Gotta keep these boys together.

Well that was a dead bat from Rioli , call me the 2&2 guru but I reckon 2 x r1 is too good to refuse for a hbf and it may just be Dimmas parting gift to us that they put a bit more icing on it
What are you talking about Bo?

Nothing in the below comments indicates to me that he wants out:

1716185393406.png

Every week Kako is spending more time in the midfield for Calder and its starting to pay off big time for both his own form and that of his team. He was dynamic with his ability to win contested footy and bust clear for damaging possessions, pumping it inside 50 12 times and setting up a number of shots on goal for his teammates. On a rainy and slippery day, Kako's cleanness with the footy stood out.

What we really need is for Adelaide to win a few more games so they need to trade out their first pick so it doesn’t get lost to a Welsh bid

At the moment their first might come in before the bid which would reduce an option for us to trade down

What we really need is for Adelaide to win a few more games so they need to trade out their first pick so it doesn’t get lost to a Welsh bid

At the moment their first might come in before the bid which would reduce an option for us to trade down
Brisbane's pick is the one we need to target. Will hopefully be top 10 and a bid will eat it up completely.

GC desperate for a running HB, I would float Shorty's name. DRoili is a must keep, but Shorty would get their attention IMO.

At his best, he is one of the best meters gain players in the comp and he would be elite for their culture IMO.

What's his value though?
Pick #20 at best

A look at the early favourite for pick 1 in 2025, manchild Dyson Sharp. Playing off half back with stints through the middle, even at only 16 years of age Dyson is already more than capable of matching it physically against his opponents from the U20 team. Strong over the footy, excellent balance and composure, nice mark and excellent disposal... plenty to be excited about for the future.

We disagree here...DS good footy IQ...always near the footy...ok kick...can mark...lucky the team mates looked for him!
Slow...almost a plodder...lacks breakaway pace...untidy when fighting for the footy in contest...nothing clean...
Seeing that vision...not worth a first rounder...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every week Kako is spending more time in the midfield for Calder and its starting to pay off big time for both his own form and that of his team. He was dynamic with his ability to win contested footy and bust clear for damaging possessions, pumping it inside 50 12 times and setting up a number of shots on goal for his teammates. On a rainy and slippery day, Kako's cleanness with the footy stood out.

Kid is a playa! Fast...VG footy IQ...always where the footy is...fighting for possession...not bad kick...
Plays the game at a fast pace...flat out...can he steady an oppo game's momentum?!?...slow the game down to wrestle it back from the oppo?!?
Worth a late first rounder...

Kid is a playa! Fast...VG footy IQ...always where the footy is...fighting for possession...not bad kick...
Plays the game at a fast pace...flat out...can he steady an oppo game's momentum?!?...slow the game down to wrestle it back from the oppo?!?
Worth a late first rounder...
Are we saying Kako like cake-o or kack-o?

Keep the talent trade the fringe
Trade Rioli and you lose his brothers, Bolton, jnr
Gotta keep these boys together.
If you are going to lose them because Rioli leaves then they don’t deserve to be here. You can’t draft one player due to race and never lose them because they all will go. Rioli also is not a big body that can “prevent young bodies from being bashed”.

Well the point would be to also trade into 2025, we wouldn't just invest in this one draft unless we had a bunch of very high picks and were confident on the players we were taking.

We disagree here...DS good footy IQ...always near the footy...ok kick...can mark...lucky the team mates looked for him!
Slow...almost a plodder...lacks breakaway pace...untidy when fighting for the footy in contest...nothing clean...
Seeing that vision...not worth a first rounder...
He's been THE elite junior all the way through his age group. The query will be how much of that is due to his early development physically over his contemporaries which does make a big difference at this level although less of a difference by the time you get to U18.

I love his poise with ball in hand, he's never rushed. He's not express pace but also not a plodder, he's agile and has a nice sidestep in traffic. He's just not rushed, and doesnt tend to use his pace unless he needs to. I like his kicking, he has some penetration in his boot. I'm not fussed about his contest work, he's been prolific in that area throughout juniors and this was only one game against kids 3 and 4 years older.

I'm all for trading out the likes of Jayden Short & Graham but talk of trading Daniel Rioli (like in the HUN) is madness. He creates so much run from defence that nobody else in the team does.
It’s only “madness” if we were actively trying to trade him out. If however he wished to leave. Then it’s about maximizing our return.

I think we are in one of those situations where the planets are simply aligning. Everyone knows we need first rounders and it just so happens that the clubs that have them are either interested in our A-graders or need our points for father/sons. Things just seem to be happening of their own accord.

Anyhow I’m against a Hawthorn fire sale, but with Tasmania just over the horizon, if a player wants out and another club offers us a Godfather trade, let them come to us. I suspect we will be all ears

He's been THE elite junior all the way through his age group. The query will be how much of that is due to his early development physically over his contemporaries which does make a big difference at this level although less of a difference by the time you get to U18.

I love his poise with ball in hand, he's never rushed. He's not express pace but also not a plodder, he's agile and has a nice sidestep in traffic. He's just not rushed, and doesnt tend to use his pace unless he needs to. I like his kicking, he has some penetration in his boot. I'm not fussed about his contest work, he's been prolific in that area throughout juniors and this was only one game against kids 3 and 4 years older.
We disagree with "almost a plodder"...his pace is slow...he's not agile...most of that game was watching him 'trying' to avoid being tackled!
Kids a lump...and will be found out in time...no way is he worth a first rounder!
Has no discernible poise...poise is what Pendlebury demonstrates in congestion...untouched...this kid has more hands on him in contested ball that a novice at a pray meeting!

Dan Rioli is the guy that's going to get us the most currency given he has a contract on him, Dimma loves him, he's still a reasonable age to target for another club too.

Yes I'd hate to lose him, but a lot of the other guys we can't ask for a premium whereas Dan Rioli we can. I'd certainly entertain it, Gold Coast are very likely to overpay here.

They currently have picks 8, 11, 20, 27, 31.

If we traded them Rioli plus some of our other picks for points in a package, we could potentially get back 8, 11 and 20 as part of the wider deal.

That'd be a 2, 8, 11, 20, 22 draft hand as our first 5 picks and that's before any potential deals with Brisbane or Adelaide for their first rounder.

It'd be an amazing draft hand and go a massive way to accelerating our rebuild before Tassie come in.

We disagree with "almost a plodder"...his pace is slow...he's not agile...most of that game was watching him 'trying' to avoid being tackled!
Kids a lump...and will be found out in time...no way is he worth a first rounder!
Has no discernible poise...poise is what Pendlebury demonstrates in congestion...untouched...this kid has more hands on him in contested ball that a novice at a pray meeting!
I think you're making a mistake making too many definitive judgments based off one game.

All good though, its part of the fun of this caper in trying to see into the future. Sometimes we're right, sometimes we're wrong.

Last edited:
I think you're making a mistake making too many definitive judgments based off one game.

All good though, its part of the fun of this caper in trying to see into the future. Sometimes we're right, sometimes we're wrong.
I'm not trying to see anything into the near future with these young players you provide the videos on! Thank you for them!
I'm just seeing their current physical traits on display...that's what I have my eye on...all the skills in the world won't help these young players if their physical traits are limited in some ways!
I can only go off the video you presented! That's how I call it!
I could sugar coat my judgements with a lot of maybes, potential, needs work, demonstrates, tryer, has the ability, blah blah...blahhh...
I'll give you my judgements...and I reckon...nine times out of 10...I'll separate the wheat from the chaff!
The hard part is grading the leftover chaff!
Which lower draft pick suits which AFL playing list...or do we just go...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10...

I'm not trying to see anything into the near future with these young players you provide the videos on! Thank you for them!
I'm just seeing their current physical traits on display...that's what I have my eye on...all the skills in the world won't help these young players if their physical traits are limited in some ways!
I can only go off the video you presented! That's how I call it!
I could sugar coat my judgements with a lot of maybes, potential, needs work, demonstrates, tryer, has the ability, blah blah...blahhh...
I'll give you my judgements...and I reckon...nine times out of 10...I'll separate the wheat from the chaff!
The hard part is grading the leftover chaff!
Which lower draft pick suits which AFL playing list...or do we just go...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10...
Sure, but there's huge variance from one game to another based on form or fitness, conditions on the day etc. There's a reason why we talk about "small sample size bias".

For instance, I posted a video earlier for Sid Draper. It was his first game back after missing all pre-season and the first two months with a stress fracture of his shin. He hasnt played a game of footy or even trained a high intensity since the end of last season. He played small bits of two quarters. And your comment was "vanilla, nothing spesh".

Context is important. If you genuinely still think Sid Draper is nothing special after watching a few of his games in the coming months then that's completely fine. But to make that kind of judgement off one heavily compromised game is off base I think, and not the way I would be going about it.

Back