AFLW Trade, Draft and list changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond

Gun Giant ponders shock move as Vic rivals circle
Four-time club best-and-fairest Alyce Parker is weighing up departing the Giants during the upcoming trade period
GREATER Western Sydney's AFLW superstar Alyce Parker is weighing up significant rival interest, as the Giants fight to retain their four-time best and fairest winning midfielder.
AFL.com.au understands Parker has garnered serious levels of interest from Essendon, Richmond, Geelong and Carlton and is currently considering rival offers, though the Blues have already been informed she will not be heading to Ikon Park.
The Giants have also met with Parker recently in an attempt to retain the supremely talented 23-year-old, having tabled her a long-term contract offer earlier this season that is still yet to be signed.
It's understood that despite the flurry of rival interest, Parker is yet to decide on her future.
Parker, who has established herself as one of the League's best inside midfielders, is a dual AFLW All-Australian and claimed four Gabrielle Trainor Medals as the club's best and fairest in her first five seasons.
Parker finished second in Tuesday night's most recent best and fairest count – which was won by fellow talented youngster Zarlie Goldsworthy – despite missing the final three games of the season with an ankle injury that required surgery.
She had been averaging 25.1 disposals and 5.6 tackles this year, before suffering her injury.

Richmond midfielder/forward Meagan Kiely has called time on her AFLW career after three seasons in the yellow and black.
Kiely, 28, played 19 senior games for Richmond after being selected with pick No. 48 overall at the 2021 AFLW Draft via North Melbourne VFL.
The Tasmanian product had to work incredibly hard to earn a place on an AFLW list, moving across three states to follow her AFLW dream and twice being a train-on player at North Melbourne and GWS, respectively.
Kiely played 18 of a possible 22 matches in her first two seasons at the Club but managed just one match this year due to back and foot injuries.
Kiely thanked the Club and its “incredible people” for the profound impact they had made on her.
“It has been an honour to pull on the yellow and black and represent our people and the Tiger Army for the past three seasons,” she said.
“I am filled with pride and gratitude for the experience the Club has provided me, and I am thankful for the lifelong friendships I have made along the way.”
Kiely said she had grown and developed as a footballer and a person during her time at Richmond, learning to never give up on things that she is passionate about.
“It has been a difficult decision to step away from such a phenomenal group, but unfortunately, for now, my body needs a break,” she explained.
“I cannot thank the football club enough for making my a dream, a reality.”
Richmond Head of Women’s Football, Kate Sheahan paid tribute to Kiely.
“Meagan worked exceptionally hard to earn an AFLW contract and once on our list, she was quick to become an important part of our program,” she said.
“For three years she was a very popular figure around the place and was able to play a number of roles for the team.
“Her AFLW career is a credit to the hard work she put in behind the scenes and we thank her for her contribution to Richmond.”

Four-time club best-and-fairest Alyce Parker is weighing up departing the Giants during the upcoming trade period
GREATER Western Sydney's AFLW superstar Alyce Parker is weighing up significant rival interest, as the Giants fight to retain their four-time best and fairest winning midfielder.
AFL.com.au understands Parker has garnered serious levels of interest from Essendon, Richmond, Geelong and Carlton and is currently considering rival offers, though the Blues have already been informed she will not be heading to Ikon Park.
The Giants have also met with Parker recently in an attempt to retain the supremely talented 23-year-old, having tabled her a long-term contract offer earlier this season that is still yet to be signed.
It's understood that despite the flurry of rival interest, Parker is yet to decide on her future.
Parker, who has established herself as one of the League's best inside midfielders, is a dual AFLW All-Australian and claimed four Gabrielle Trainor Medals as the club's best and fairest in her first five seasons.
Parker finished second in Tuesday night's most recent best and fairest count – which was won by fellow talented youngster Zarlie Goldsworthy – despite missing the final three games of the season with an ankle injury that required surgery.
She had been averaging 25.1 disposals and 5.6 tackles this year, before suffering her injury.
Getting Alyce Parker is exactly the type of move Richmond needs IMO. Expect the club to be working hard to get her.

Richmond midfielder/forward Meagan Kiely has called time on her AFLW career after three seasons in the yellow and black.
Kiely, 28, played 19 senior games for Richmond after being selected with pick No. 48 overall at the 2021 AFLW Draft via North Melbourne VFL.
The Tasmanian product had to work incredibly hard to earn a place on an AFLW list, moving across three states to follow her AFLW dream and twice being a train-on player at North Melbourne and GWS, respectively.
Kiely played 18 of a possible 22 matches in her first two seasons at the Club but managed just one match this year due to back and foot injuries.
Kiely thanked the Club and its “incredible people” for the profound impact they had made on her.
“It has been an honour to pull on the yellow and black and represent our people and the Tiger Army for the past three seasons,” she said.
“I am filled with pride and gratitude for the experience the Club has provided me, and I am thankful for the lifelong friendships I have made along the way.”
Kiely said she had grown and developed as a footballer and a person during her time at Richmond, learning to never give up on things that she is passionate about.
“It has been a difficult decision to step away from such a phenomenal group, but unfortunately, for now, my body needs a break,” she explained.
“I cannot thank the football club enough for making my a dream, a reality.”
Richmond Head of Women’s Football, Kate Sheahan paid tribute to Kiely.
“Meagan worked exceptionally hard to earn an AFLW contract and once on our list, she was quick to become an important part of our program,” she said.
“For three years she was a very popular figure around the place and was able to play a number of roles for the team.
“Her AFLW career is a credit to the hard work she put in behind the scenes and we thank her for her contribution to Richmond.”
Got the maximum out of herself I'd say, and there is no shame in that whatsoever. Played some very useful roles in those 19 games - well done Meagan!

Would need to come as a Tier1, surely?

Would need to come as a Tier1, surely?
yeah was thinking the same thing.
would have to be top 4 - 5 highest paid on our list.

but with multi year contracts on the table, i'd assume we would have to offer a 5 year contract.
i reckon Conti would be getting an offer of 5 year contract as well.

i honestly can't see how we fit Parker in with the new cap system.
Geelong either, probably Essendon is the front runner if Parker decides to leave.

but.........stranger things have happened.

Need Pissparkis from Geesook or Rowbottum from GC alot more than Parker.
Pissparkis from Geesook isn't going to happen any time soon.

Rowbottum from GC more likely but not sure when
this year, next year, the year after..........only she would know.
but when she does want to come home, every club in Vic is going to make huge offers to entice her.

but with multi year contracts on the table, i'd assume we would have to offer a 5 year contract.

Geelong either, probably Essendon is the front runner if Parker decides to leave.

You know what, would not be surprised if Katie Brennan offered a solution of sorts.

Last edited:

Ferguson inks two-year extension
Richmond AFLW coach Ryan Ferguson has committed to the Club until at least the end of 2025.

Richmond is delighted to announce it has extended AFLW senior coach Ryan Ferguson’s contract by a further two years.
The contract extension will see Ferguson tied to the Club until at least the end of the 2025 AFLW season.
Ferguson, 42, took on the reins at Richmond after the Club’s disappointing winless first season. His latest extension will take him into a fifth and sixth campaign in the role.
The former Melbourne AFL defender has coached 41 AFLW games, demonstrating improvement in his first three seasons, including a barnstorming top-four finish in Season 7.
Richmond finished with five wins and five losses in 2023, claiming an impressive Round 1 scalp against Brisbane and an emphatic final-round win against Collingwood among the victories.
Ferguson said he and the group were hungry to achieve more in the next two years.
“We have a real belief in what we can do going forward,” he said.
“As a group, we were not satisfied with how this season panned out, but we are ready to embrace the challenge ahead and are happy to have finished so strongly in Round 10.
“To have signed on for two more years is pleasing, and I thank the Club for their faith in what our program is doing.
“We look forward to the journey ahead.”

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale said having Ferguson locked in for two more seasons was exciting.
“It is clear that our players respond well to Ryan and his coaching style and philosophies,” he said.
“Ryan’s leadership and passion to drive elite standards and professionalism has stood out and the players have relished this direction.
“2023 had its challenges for us, but we are confident that the group is tracking in the right direction and are capable of returning to finals action quickly.”

Ferguson inks two-year extension
Richmond AFLW coach Ryan Ferguson has committed to the Club until at least the end of 2025.

Richmond is delighted to announce it has extended AFLW senior coach Ryan Ferguson’s contract by a further two years.
The contract extension will see Ferguson tied to the Club until at least the end of the 2025 AFLW season.
Ferguson, 42, took on the reins at Richmond after the Club’s disappointing winless first season. His latest extension will take him into a fifth and sixth campaign in the role.
The former Melbourne AFL defender has coached 41 AFLW games, demonstrating improvement in his first three seasons, including a barnstorming top-four finish in Season 7.
Richmond finished with five wins and five losses in 2023, claiming an impressive Round 1 scalp against Brisbane and an emphatic final-round win against Collingwood among the victories.
Ferguson said he and the group were hungry to achieve more in the next two years.
“We have a real belief in what we can do going forward,” he said.
“As a group, we were not satisfied with how this season panned out, but we are ready to embrace the challenge ahead and are happy to have finished so strongly in Round 10.
“To have signed on for two more years is pleasing, and I thank the Club for their faith in what our program is doing.
“We look forward to the journey ahead.”

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale said having Ferguson locked in for two more seasons was exciting.
“It is clear that our players respond well to Ryan and his coaching style and philosophies,” he said.
“Ryan’s leadership and passion to drive elite standards and professionalism has stood out and the players have relished this direction.
“2023 had its challenges for us, but we are confident that the group is tracking in the right direction and are capable of returning to finals action quickly.”
Predictable re-signing - having full player buy-in is an important element in obtaining the ultimate success - not all coaches get it, despite appearances at times.

What 'Hammer' can bring, who we can add to the midfield, and whether our forward line can gel will determine our next two years success under Ferg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need another running HBF if we are losing Sherrin to the midfield

Also time to look McKenzie. She is never on the park and (having coached my daughter's team for the last couple of years) I suspect part of her injury issues stem from her not training hard enough. She looks overweight and needs to lift

We need another running HBF if we are losing Sherrin to the midfield

Also time to look McKenzie. She is never on the park and (having coached my daughter's team for the last couple of years) I suspect part of her injury issues stem from her not training hard enough. She looks overweight and needs to lift
McKenzie broke her ankle didn’t she? Not sure that has anything to do with conditioning

Lower leg injuries for the last 3 years.

She is either very unlucky or not putting the strength work into her legs to handle the AFL game day workload

Get it done ✅

If we struggle to fit into cap ess are no chance with prepakis and toogood, if the hosking are being paid well they shouldn’t be , other than good ambassadors they’re battlers ,,,,we need another class addition

Lower leg injuries for the last 3 years.

She is either very unlucky or not putting the strength work into her legs to handle the AFL game day workload
With the greatest respect, the AFL conditioning and medical team at Richmond, yes even the women's crew, is likely a considerable step up from perhaps a local level. I'm sure your 'advice' is well intentioned, but comes across (reads) as fairly thoughtless.

Every Irish girl I see playing are all very good by foot at speed kicking forward and around the body.
Why don’t we have any?
There’s probably a good half a dozen playing in the prelims, we’re missing a trick here

Last edited:
Every Irish girl I see playing are all very good by foot at speed kicking forward and around the body.
Why don’t we have any?
There’s probably a good half a dozen playing in the prelims, we’re missing a trick here
They do appear to adapt quite quickly in W game , we’re 3 good players shy of conte ding for finals again . If Ellie Mc and Lavey play ea week , that’d help

Remove this Banner Ad

Back