Toughest players in the 70s,80s and 90s

Remove this Banner Ad

i played in that game, disguisting spectacle. Unfortunately wrong guy targetted as the culprit and 2 or 3 brawls followed with plenty of kicking and cheap king hits thrown from behind, if there was not 2 sixteen year old kids umpiring who had little to no control it would of been called off. From memory haddy ended up with no bench and 4 injured players taking up the full forward line and one of the flanks. Not a lot of toughness witnessed that day, more dirty!

I agree it was more dirty than tough. The brawl flared again thanks to a conscious effort by one side to attack individual opponents after a bounce. This was when both sides appeared to be trying to get back to the footy after the original incident and brawl.

It then reached its peak at half time (3rd brawl??) so there was no much the umpires could do at that stage. A host of league officials appeared while this was raging and probably made the decision to let the game go on.

The Airport West team of the late 80's had Andy Wilson, Steve Wilson, Marcus Wills, Russell Jones and Craig Jones. Not too many teams beat them in a fight !!!

Was Peter Cook coaching them back then. I know he coached around that time. He also was a pretty tough guy. Fitness freak but could go well.

Noticed this thread has been going for a while.

I think Brendan Smith (89-90) and the late Ossie Altanhan 1992-96 at Keilor Park both took a lot of punishment and kept on at it.

Both tough and resilient players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Tony Juric - Marby.
tough as they come.
Especially when the female protester dressed in a pink tutu, forceably removed his baton from him when he was guarding the frontline in his police days....front page of herald sun, major news services.....

Airport West
Did Steve Wilson head up to Shepparton United in the GVFL in 1989? I reckon I witnessed him in the '89 GF take on renowned ex-North Ballarat hard man and Rochester coach at the time in Nigel VanderVeer The most punches thrown (and connected)by two men I have ever seen in senior major league football.

Did Steve Wilson head up to Shepparton United in the GVFL in 1989? I reckon I witnessed him in the '89 GF take on renowned ex-North Ballarat hard man and Rochester coach at the time in Nigel VanderVeer The most punches thrown (and connected)by two men I have ever seen in senior major league football.

Hadn't heard that one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Airport West vs Pascoe Vale under 16s once had a line of police in between the changerooms at Pacco ground after an incident at APW ground earlier in the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back