Top Prospects from Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: U/16 & U18 Mariners 2012!

Thanks for posting, appreciate the effort.

Reckon the mix of 40 player squad will be about 28 senior kids and 12 underagers.

Will watch in anticipation!!
So on that basis if all those 1994 born players I listed keep their spot, then they need to find another 12-15 senior kids for the side next year.

Assume they will probably end up with a couple of 19 year olds as well. Someone like Trad Duggan would have to be a chance given he missed a lot of the Mariners this year with injury.

Webster, Templeton and Wiggins would have to be certain to get some of the spots for 17 year old players.

Re: U/16 & U18 Mariners 2012!

So on that basis if all those 1994 born players I listed keep their spot, then they need to find another 12-15 senior kids for the side next year.

Assume they will probably end up with a couple of 19 year olds as well. Someone like Trad Duggan would have to be a chance given he missed a lot of the Mariners this year with injury.

Webster, Templeton and Wiggins would have to be certain to get some of the spots for 17 year old players.

Good call Footyman.

Those 12-15 boys needed to top up the sqaud for 2012 may be a blend of past U/16 Mariners (2010) who missed the cut in the 2011 U/18 Mariners and those kids who have just improved and deserve a chance.

Obviously a hard task by AFL Tasmania to stay engaged with boys who are in this "bracket". However I reckon they do a good job balancing this task.

As Dobosz proves, kids develop at different levels and can appear from left field!

Another one I'd like to see get a chance as a 19 year old is Mitch Van Den Berg from the Northern Bombers. Really athletic, on the skinny side and needs to do a bit of work on his kick, but he's had a very good season mostly in the senior team. Premiership player with the U18 North Launceston team last year and played a very good Grand Final game.

From the same club Zac Burt would have to be some chance of getting a gig as an 18 year old next year, back in the Colts now but played plenty of seniors this year. Ethan Petterwood is another one.

Another one I'd like to see get a chance as a 19 year old is Mitch Van Den Berg from the Northern Bombers. Really athletic, on the skinny side and needs to do a bit of work on his kick, but he's had a very good season mostly in the senior team. Premiership player with the U18 North Launceston team last year and played a very good Grand Final game.

From the same club Zac Burt would have to be some chance of getting a gig as an 18 year old next year, back in the Colts now but played plenty of seniors this year. Ethan Petterwood is another one.

I think Ethan Peterwood played a game in the Mariners U/18's this year.

He's (Mitch Van Ben Berg) the most impressive, young KPF I've seen this year.

So how low will Dobosz go? ;) Top 10?!?

Good call on Julian Dobosz. You would think he would be guaranteed a first round draft pick up at worst scenario. Having an amazing season. Will be the first Tasmanian picked up this year.

Would be interested in your opinion on who else will go and their order.

Bad luck for Henry Schade too, after copping a virus and missing two games, he was concussed late in the game last weekend. Not playing this week and doubtful for the first final. Has missed out on some last minute opportunities to impress the AFL scouts.

Would be interested thoughts on the chances of our nominations for our boys invited to either draft combine or state testing.

Maybe a list of the 10 boys and their ranking and/or if they will be drafted/rookied and their listing.

Thought I would stick to the Mariners as they probably have the best odds for this years draft.

1. McKenzie
2. Mihocek
3. Dobosz
4. Joseph
5. Schade
6. Brown
7. Webster
8. Owen
9. Riley
Rather than answer your question, I'm going to ask you whether you'd change this order based on what you've seen in the past month?

Rather than answer your question, I'm going to ask you whether you'd change this order based on what you've seen in the past month?

Happy to oblige Footyman

1 Dobosz
2 Schade
3 Mihocek
4 Wesbster
5 Joseph
6 Brown
7 McKenzie
8 Owen
9 Riley
10 Musicka

Would love all the boys to get picked up. However I will go with a 6/2 or a 5/2 split (draft/rookied)

Only concern about Brown's body will stop someone picking him up.

Happy to oblige Footyman

1 Dobosz
2 Schade
3 Mihocek
4 Wesbster
5 Joseph
6 Brown
7 McKenzie
8 Owen
9 Riley
10 Musicka

Would love all the boys to get picked up. However I will go with a 6/2 or a 5/2 split (draft/rookied)

Only concern about Brown's body will stop someone picking him up.
Pretty good, I tend to agree with you. Six might be a bit of a stretch in a weak draft where clubs might be using less picks, but maybe 4 or 5 plus a couple of rookies. :thumbsu:

Was some rumours about GWS pre-listing Brown as they are entitled to do, we'll have to watch that one and see what happens.

The boys have a testing session next week in front of the AFL clubs, then some interviews so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out for them as a bit of a lead up to the draft combines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to note that Jackson O'Brien and Luke Potter will also be joining the list at testing next week.
Any realistic chances from these two???

Interesting to note that Jackson O'Brien and Luke Potter will also be joining the list at testing next week.

After Melbourne picking up Howe last year from Hobart (via Dodges Ferry), anything is possible.

REally?

This just proves that Tasmania is divided on all fronts... Even the scouts are starting to beleive there is only football in hobart!
Although some people in the south believe there is a real unfairness to the north of the state league- these selections just prove you wrong...

how many times have these two fellas been showcased on TV this year?

Very good players, not debating that, but surely there are very capable players in the north worth a look at that didnt play inthe mariners- and most likely were never shown on ABC telecasts

REally?

This just proves that Tasmania is divided on all fronts... Even the scouts are starting to beleive there is only football in hobart!
Although some people in the south believe there is a real unfairness to the north of the state league- these selections just prove you wrong...

how many times have these two fellas been showcased on TV this year?

Very good players, not debating that, but surely there are very capable players in the north worth a look at that didnt play inthe mariners- and most likely were never shown on ABC telecasts

More tiny minded northern clap trap. Do you honestly think the AFL scouts sit & watch ABC tv to make draft pick decisions??? I do know that Scott Clayton was in town last weekend & went to the Glenorchy v Burnie game. No he didnt go to watch North Hobart v Clarence, No he didnt sit in his parents house & watch the ABC. He DID go to a match with a north & a south team.
When do prawns like you stop trying to stir shyte with the north south thing??? People like you just cause trouble. You really dont have any idea do you :(.

More tiny minded northern clap trap. Do you honestly think the AFL scouts sit & watch ABC tv to make draft pick decisions??? I do know that Scott Clayton was in town last weekend & went to the Glenorchy v Burnie game. No he didnt go to watch North Hobart v Clarence, No he didnt sit in his parents house & watch the ABC. He DID go to a match with a north & a south team.
When do prawns like you stop trying to stir shyte with the north south thing??? People like you just cause trouble. You really dont have any idea do you :(.

Have to agree with Madmug (maybe not in such strong terms) with the scouts doing their jobs.

Each AFL club has representatives in the State looking at all corners of the State. AFL is a big business and they have to pay respect to all leagues no matter what location they are in.

The North have the 2 players in next years intake of AIS kids, and rightly so. This puts an end to the North versus South bias.

AFL clubs take into account a number of issues, not just the pub talk or what may be printed in the newspapers to fill space.

Obviously O'Brien and Potter must have caught the eye over the year to get a state testing invite.

Hopefully these guys perform at a high level for the remainder of the year and get picked up in the draft/rookie selections.

Have to agree with Madmug (maybe not in such strong terms) with the scouts doing their jobs.

Each AFL club has representatives in the State looking at all corners of the State. AFL is a big business and they have to pay respect to all leagues no matter what location they are in.

The North have the 2 players in next years intake of AIS kids, and rightly so. This puts an end to the North versus South bias.

AFL clubs take into account a number of issues, not just the pub talk or what may be printed in the newspapers to fill space.

Obviously O'Brien and Potter must have caught the eye over the year to get a state testing invite.

Hopefully these guys perform at a high level for the remainder of the year and get picked up in the draft/rookie selections.

Well I get sick of northern pills just taking stupid shots about footy issues when just making a sensible point is enough. No need for NvS all the time.
O'brien is a good player. I heard that Potter impressed when he played for the Tassie team that played in Adelaide mid season. Maybe those games were on ABC tv in South Oz:p
Good luck to any lad who gets a look in. no matter which part of Tassie they are from.

Clearly the AIS decisions are made from State games and representation. As a mature age look ins, the best of the rest (other than acedemy and mariners) from the north do not get show cased as the much because of the lack of publicity.
If someone could reel a TV games data sheet stating how many games clarence and glenorchy get compared to Launceston, Burnie, North Launceston, South Launceston and devonport, I think you will find the totals are similar for 2 hobart teams opposed to all five northern teams.

Now well done all the same to those boys selected, I'm not doubting that they are great players.

GTB's to your comment about Scott Clayton, A couple of people at AFL TAs had phone calls about a lonnie player after a televised final last year and the player wouldnt rank in the best 100 players in the TSL, but that particular player was showcased for his 2 goals in 5 minutes on a ABC halftime roundup. After being shotdown by AFL TAS, Sydney and Essendon recruiters reply 'we dont get opportunity to watch footage of northern clubs as much, and have to take what we can'.

I feel for guys like Baldock, McKenna, Crawford, Whiting and these mature stars of the north that are just as good of players but don't get the showing they deserve.

Agreed, don't make things about North Vs South that aren't that for the sake of it - it ruins the health of our state football community, and if we cant build this we will go no where.

as for ABC telecasts, its a joke:
HOvGL
NHvLN
HOvNH
NLvGL
HOvDE
NHvCL
GLvDE
NHvHO
CLvGL
GLvSL
NHvGL
GLvHO
CLvNL
HOvBU
GLvCL
NHvLD
CLvHO
CLvLD
GLvBU

Glenorchy = 9
Hobart = 7
Clarence = 6
North Hobart = 6
Lauderdale = 2
Burnie = 2
North Launy = 2
Devonport = 2
South Launy = 1
Launceston = 1

Surely ABC has sufficient equipment in Launceston to show a north/NW game more than ONCE per season!!?

Apparently North Hobart's Zeke Gardham and Adrian Williams are being very closesly looked at by AFL scouts, with good reason too...

Jackson O'brien is a genuinely good player but maybe classed as too small and Potter would surprise. If anyone was at Lauderdale oval on Saturday to watch Hobart Vs Lauderdale you would've seen one of the best individual performances for a long time by Aaron Hall. His pace and ball use were brilliant, he has all the attributes AFL scouts are looking for. If someone were to take a punt on him and he was given some time and attention from AFL coaches he could make it.

Surely ABC has sufficient equipment in Launceston to show a north/NW game more than ONCE per season!!?
ABC has no OB equipment in Launceston, it all has to be trucked up from Hobart. Which costs $.

I agree though, the coverage isn't fair. The one trip the ABC made to Aurora Stadium this year and they showed North Launceston v Glenorchy! Really, whoever does the allocation should have encouraged them to do a Northern game involving two Northern sides.

Not sure why they can't go to Lauderdale? They covered a game there last year, haven't been back since.

To be fair to AFL Tas, I'm fairly sure all (or most) TSL games are being filmed and made available to AFL clubs. May not be ABC quality but its better than nothing.

A lot of the time with mature players it comes down to luck...Potter happens to be at Glenorchy, which just happens to have Ben Brown, Jimmy Webster, Daniel Joseph running around....which probably means AFL clubs will be present.

ABC has no OB equipment in Launceston, it all has to be trucked up from Hobart. Which costs $.

I agree though, the coverage isn't fair. The one trip the ABC made to Aurora Stadium this year and they showed North Launceston v Glenorchy! Really, whoever does the allocation should have encouraged them to do a Northern game involving two Northern sides.

Not sure why they can't go to Lauderdale? They covered a game there last year, haven't been back since.

To be fair to AFL Tas, I'm fairly sure all (or most) TSL games are being filmed and made available to AFL clubs. May not be ABC quality but its better than nothing.

A lot of the time with mature players it comes down to luck...Potter happens to be at Glenorchy, which just happens to have Ben Brown, Jimmy Webster, Daniel Joseph running around....which probably means AFL clubs will be present.

Of course its not fair. But thats not the fault of North Hobart, Clarence, Glenorchy etc or even Scott Wade:eek: ( xcuse me while I choke:p, of course it has to be Wadeys fault:D) I know the clubs down here arent happy about it because a televised game kills the crowd & costs them money at the gate. AFL or ABC dont help the clubs at all with that huge cost. It would be fair to spread the coverage & the cost to the clubs, but it wont happen due to the cost to the ABC.
So just bitching like its another NvS thing is just dumb. Remember, as stated, most clubs tape games anyway. They would be available to recruiters no doubt.
With the cost cutting going on all over the place we may not have any ABC footy soon enough. Would you be happy then????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back