Top 100 players since 1980

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts:
Brad Johnson should be higher. Better than ROK & Goddard.

Kouta should be way lower, if on the list at all. Wasn't at his best for any decent period of time.

I'd personally have Cousins higher and J.Brown higher.

But overall a pretty accurate list I'd say, well done.
Yeah look I can definitely see your view on Kouta but I gauge it on the type of footy he produced, big game ability, and game-turning ability as much as enduring consistent footy when rating individuals. He did enough over a long period to be highly rated and I guess I saw him do extraordinary things to deflate Essendon supporters (yet I could still admire his abilities) which sways me a bit.
I disagree on the Goddard comparison whom I admired greatly at St Kilda. He can play anywhere, is close to the best field kick I have seen, and has put in one of the best GF I have seen. His consistency at Essendon only solidifies my opinion. I did mull over ROK and Johnno but again finals performances mean a lot. ROK blew me away during Sydney's last successful tilt due to his immense contested game. Johnno is a fave of mine, don't get me wrong, but many could argue that the Dominator deserves to be ahead of him due to his finals performances (as an example). Every player on the list were or are superstars of the game.

Last edited:
This is very subjective and some great players will just miss out. This is based on what I can vividly remember. This makes it hard to know where to place players such as Peter Knights who I have vague memories of being sensational but was winding down and injured a lot when the 80s came around.
So here goes;

100/ Wayne Johnston - the Dominator is here largely due to big game performances.
99/ Sean Rehn - best ruckman in the league at one point.
98/ Jim Krakouer - the ultimate evasive skilful rover who rates highly due to the magic he displayed consistently.
97/ Tony Shaw - limited in many athletic areas but his determination was elite.
96/ Gary Buckenara - very gifted and versatile player who had a freakish sense for goals and sure hands when marking.
95/ Brad Johnson - tall and small, pivotal to a good Doggies era.
94/ Ryan O'Keefe - from being a very good lead-up forward to now being a ferocious, tackling, contested possession winning mid with a classy finish
93/ David Dench - saw him dashing out of defense as the first truly attacking full back. Only saw the end of his career which has him lower.
92/ Peter Knights - going largely on vague recollections as a guide but still a mercurial player to watch in early 80s
91/ Darren Millane - this bloke was the key ingredient to their 1990 GF team. Fearsome and talented.
90/ Chad Cornes - Port were hard to beat in the Cornes era and without this bloke they'd have been leaky.
89/ Michael Roach - THE full forward of the early 80s. Marked down due to his lame and inconsistent later years.
88/ Harry Taylor - I surprised myself adding him but he really is a class act and a crucial part of a Cat's era.
87/ Justin Leppitsch - I rate him just ahead of Taylor. Difficult to split them and of similar importance.
86/ Brendon Goddard - consistently prolific and a player who adjusts his game to suit the situation.
85/ Mark Mercuri- just about the smoothest moving footballer I've seen but faded later on for multiple reasons.
84/ Luke Hodge - Norm Smith and Premiership captain who is rising up the list despite a somewhat patchy career.
83/ Jonathan Brown - a colossus. At his best is one of the very best but I feel a bit short-changed over the years.
82/ Chris Langford - unflinching and composed full back who was rarely beaten.
81/ Jim Stynes - a freak of nature. Nothing special in skills but a deceptive athlete and determined soul.
80/ Nigel Lappin - in the shadows of elite Lions, he was classy and courageous. A real fave of mine.
79/ Roger Merrett - put fear into the opposition. Critical to Bombers success and defining the way for Brisbane.
78/ Ross Glendinning - a Brownlow, an elite kick, and WC pioneer. Questionable finals record lowers him a bit.
77/ Gerard Healy - classy Brownlow winner who made it look easy. Exceptional at Melbourne which most forget.
76/ Tony Modra - spectacular but unlike Capper was a well-rounded footballer who should've had a premiership to his name.
75/ Nicky Winmar - few I've seen with better all-round skills. A pleasure to watch.
74/ Michael Long - hard to separate from Winmar but his finals performances win out. Made time stand still.
73/ Gary Ayres - 2 Norm Smiths. Tough and a thorn in the side of many non-Hawk fans of the 80s. Respect.
72/ Corey Enright - dependable and the orchestrator of many Cats attacking plays. Gifted an AA this year though.
71/ Robert Dipierdomenico - tough, straight ahead, intimidating, incisive, and a bit of a numbskull.
70/ Dean Kemp - underrated but a very highly skilled and pivotal component of a dominant WC era.
69/ Matthew Richardson - what a talent to watch! Unfortunately things could unravel for him too easily.
68/ Scott West - just super-consistent and mega-multi-B&F winner. Not exceptional enough in pure talent for mine.
67/ Brent Harvey - Produces quality evasive packet footy year-in year-out. Has gone up in my opinion recently.
66/ Paul Chapman - everyone wants one in their team. Hard-arsed match-winner forward or mid and in big games too.
65/ Michael Tuck - consummate professional. Just did everything within his capabilities to perfection.
64/ Anthony Koutafides - his years around 99/2000 were awesome and if he'd done it for 10 years would be top 10.
63/ Steve Johnson - mercurial like Koutafides but consistently produces in big games and has become prolific
62/ Sam Mitchell - has made himself a better player year after year and just nails every possession these days.
61/ Glen Archer - the shinboner spirit was not a North thang it was an Archer thang and it died when he retired.
60/ Lenny Hayes - like Archer he is a warrior and I thoroughly respect him. Plus he has a shimmy to die for.
59/ Shane Crawford - elite engine and great skills.
58/ Guy McKenna - a pure HBF who was beautifully balanced and super-composed.
57/ Doug Hawkins - Dancing Dougie was a pleasure to watch in the 80s. Baulked, weaved, blind-turned...
56/ Keith Greig - is probably better than this rank but what I remember was the remnants of the perfect running wingman.
55/ Dane Swan - He produces more often than not and kicks goals but there are deficiencies that are elusive to me... I'm sure they'll come to me.
54/ Jimmy Bartel - has all the awards and medals and is Mr Versatile.
53/ Paul Salmon - his Hawthorn years push him up. An elite ruck and forward and kicked many goals in finals.
52/ Wayne Schimmelbusch - a composed, skilled leader who was brilliant in traffic.
51/ Jobe Watson - has rounded his game to be adept at all facets and produces when his team need him most.
50/ Joel Selwood - see above. I have him ahead of Jobe simply because he has produced this level from day 1.
49/ Craig Bradley - endurance, speed, skills. The perfect midfielder of today and a star back then.
48/ Lance Franklin - hard to place but he does such amazing things that few others can that he has to be up there
47/ Gary Hocking - for so many years he threatened a Brownlow despite his ugly mug. Just an elite competitor
46/ Scott Pendlebury - this guy is a jet and has produced enough over the years to warrant a high ranking.
45/ Paul Kelly - similar to Buddha but I liked him a bit more. His break away from contests was electrifying
44/ John Platten - the perfect rover. He was just so effective and largely unstoppable.
43/ Chris Grant - brilliant at either end of the ground.
42/ Warren Tredrea - the best CHF in the comp for several years post-Carey.
41/ Terry Daniher - 'safe' is the word here. Safe hands, safe kick at goal, and others felt safe behind the captain. And tough too.
40/ Ben Cousins - he had limitations to his game but not his running. Run...spew...run...spew. Inspiring.
39/ Dean Cox - the second-best ruckman on the list. His midfielder qualities set him apart from most.
38/ Jason Akermanis - a pleasure to watch. His speed and precision were a lethal combo.
37/ Glen Jakovich - the only kryptonite for Carey and an impassible wall at CHB
36/ Robert Flower - a sublime artist to watch play. If I'd seen his whole career he'd be higher.
35/ Dustin Fletcher - an attacking and defensive weapon. Hard to put value on lunging saves & kicks to advantage
34/ Stephen Silvagni - a better one-on-one FB than Fletch and a damaging forward when needed but not as skilled
33/ Matthew Scarlett - rounds out the 3 FBs. I place him first because his composure defined the Cats thrusts and was never beaten comprehensively.
32/ Darren Jarman - exquisite skills. Made the game look easy like few others
31/ Gavin Wanganeen - forward or back he was a gem. Courage, skill, and smarts.
30/ Simon Black - no longer underrated. One of the classiest big-game players of any era.
29/ Bruce Doull - he was so damn cool. Unflustered, rarely beaten. Would surely be higher had i seen more.
28/ Matthew Lloyd - few better marks at full pace. Few better kicks at goal. Dodgy hammy ruined his twilight.
27/ Mark Ricciuto - fierce bulldozer with elite skills. A frightening match-up.
26/ Matthew Pavlich - THE Docker. Now has finals form to back up his consistent brilliance.
25/ Paul Roos - was an elite CHB and became the prototype running HBF. If he played for a top team he' would be universally rated higher.
24/ Robert Harvey - I used to marvel at how he found his way through traffic. Ultimate pro.
23/ Nick Riewoldt - just a machine. Unfairly criticised too. There has never been a forward who runs like him.
22/ Adam Goodes - love Goodesy. Has probably been better as he got older which glosses over some poor years.
21/ Dermott Brereton - for a short CHF he was immense. As a Bomber fan I am only too aware of how good he was
20/ Stephen Kernahan - just a formidable opponent. Everyone knew he was good even before arriving from SA
19/ Kevin Bartlett - I only saw the end of his career and he's this high. Nuff said.
18/ Andrew McLeod - 2 Norms and the most dashing small defender I've seen. And he was a better on-baller.
17/ Peter Matera - dashing goal kicking wingman who performed in big games. So poised.
16/ Nathan Buckley - ultimate professional and the prototype footballer. Didn't kick enough goals for his ability.
15/ Chris Judd - was at his best when at WC bursting out of packs but lacks kicking penetration and goal-kicking is average.
14/ Bernie Quinlan - this bloke was incredible to watch. Big mark, long straight kick. Elegant tall match winner.
13/ Peter Daicos - he was the king of the impossible goal. Freaky skills and was a great on-baller early in career.
12/ Simon Madden - best tap ruck. Could kick goals. Could mark on blokes' heads. And a Norm Smith winner.
11/ Greg Williams - THE ball magnet. Could see things in traffic that no mere mortal could.
10/ Malcolm Blight - he was capable of unbelievable feats. During the early 80s he was my fave non-Ess player.
9/ Tim Watson - the best mid of the 80s. Explosive run, goal-kicker, and the player to stop in big games
8/ Michael Voss - the tough inspiring leader of an all conquering side with great all-round game.
7/ James Hird - saw the game unfold like few others and could will himself into the game/contest when needed
6/ Jason Dunstall - most rounded full forward of all. The perfect lead-mark-goal player and had a defensive side.
5/ Tony Lockett - just ahead of JD. Imposing, intimidating, dead-eye and in a perennially crap team.
4/ Leigh Matthews - I was inspired by this bloke as a youngster, brushing aside giants like flies and snapping goals at will through traffic.
3/ Gary Ablett Jr - now ahead of Lethal but largely due to me missing most of Lethal's midfield career.
2/ Wayne Carey - the most inspiring player to play the game... but not the most incredible... coz that man is...
1/ Gary Ablett Sr - you'll never see a player do the things he did again. Everyone else on this list can be emulated but not God.

Apologies to Dempsey, Barker, Neitz, Weightman, Al Lynch, Gary Wilson, Loewe, Neagle, M Harvey, Terry Wallace, Moore, Mick Turner, Couch, Gav Brown, Hunter, Ben Hart, Stevens, Fisher, Van Der Haar, Hall, O'Loughlin, Roughead, M Rioli, The Clokes, Glass, Goodwin, C Johnson and others I'm sure.

Feel free to pick away and make suggestions.

Great list but Watson & Lloyd way to high but it is to be expected you can't do a list like this without being biased.

Very good list, but there are a few names on it for what they did prior to 1980 and not after, most notably Blight & KB.
Although both Blighty and KB were at the end of their careers I still remember them as incredible players who performed at exceptionally high levels in that period. From 80-82 they were in the best few players I saw. KB won a Norm Smith and kicked 84,58,58 in those years. Blight kicked 44,70,103. A comparison with Knights and Dench, for example, who definitely played their best pre-1980, is that they showed only glimpses to me of what they once were. KB and Blight displayed the superstar qualities that they would also have had before I was an avid follower of the game. Doull and Flower played for a few more years but weren't as impacting on me as MB & KB.
I took all of these things into account and I am happy to stand by my rankings here.

After looking at Sheehan's best 50 players since 1990 I thought I'd revisit this thread and order the players in my list from 1990 onwards to compare with Mike.
His rankings are in parenthesis;

1/ Ablett Sr (3)
2/ Carey (1)
3/ Ablett Jr (2)
4/ Lockett (5)
5/ Dunstall (4)
6/ Hird (9)
7/ Voss (6)
8/ Williams (8)
9/ Judd (7)
10/ Buckley (14)
11/ Matera (10)
12/ McLeod (13)
13/ Kernahan (18)
14/ Riewoldt (48)
15/ R Harvey (11)
16/ Goodes (27)
17/ Roos (21)
18/ Pavlich (50)
19/ Ricciuto (26)
20/ Lloyd (36)
21/ Franklin (17)
22/ D Jarman (44)
23/ Black (14)
24/ Wanganeen (30)
25/ Hodge (15)
26/ Scarlett (19)
27/ Silvagni (20)
28/ Fletcher (32)
29/ Cox (12)
30/ Akermanis (29)
31/ Cousins (23)
32/ Tredrea (47)
33/ Grant (-)
34/ Platten (28)
35/ Jakovich (25)
36/ Kelly (24)
37/ Pendlebury (39)
38/ Selwood (33)
39/ Bradley (37)
40/ Mitchell (41)
41/ Salmon (43)
42/ Bartel (45)
43/ Swan (42)
44/ J Watson (-)
45/ Crawford (31)
46/ Hayes (-)
47/ Archer (-)
48/ S Johnson (-)
49/ Richardson (-)
50/ Koutoufides (46)

Missing from Sheehan's;

51/ B Harvey (35)
61/ Lappin (49)
62/ Langford (40)
63/ J Brown (34)
69/ B Johnson (22)
-/ Lynch (38)

It was interesting that most of our selections, especially early in the rankings, are very similar. The most notable are the discrepancies between Brad Johnson and Lynch (who just missed my best 100 since 1980). Chris Grant is my highest ranked player that he overlooked.

Last edited:
After looking at Sheehan's best 50 players since 1990 I thought I'd revisit this thread and order the players in my list from 1990 onwards to compare with Mike.
His rankings are in parenthesis;

1/ Ablett Sr (3)
2/ Carey (1)
3/ Ablett Jr (2)
4/ Lockett (5)
5/ Dunstall (4)
6/ Hird (9)
7/ Voss (6)
8/ Williams (8)
9/ Judd (7)
10/ Buckley (14)
11/ Matera (10)
12/ McLeod (13)
13/ Kernahan (18)
14/ Riewoldt (48)
15/ Harvey (11)
16/ Goodes (27)
17/ Roos (21)
18/ Pavlich (50)
19/ Ricciuto (26)
20/ Lloyd (36)
21/ Franklin (17)
22/ D Jarman (44)
23/ Black (14)
24/ Wanganeen (30)
25/ Hodge (15)
26/ Scarlett (19)
27/ Silvagni (20)
28/ Fletcher (32)
29/ Cox (12)
30/ Akermanis (29)
31/ Cousins (23)
32/ Tredrea (47)
33/ Grant (-)
34/ Platten (28)
35/ Jackovich (25)
36/ Kelly (24)
37/ Pendlebury (39)
38/ Selwood (33)
39/ Bradley (37)
40/ Mitchell (41)
41/ Salmon (43)
42/ Bartel (45)
43/ Swan (42)
44/ J Watson (-)
45/ Crawford (31)
46/ Hayes (-)
47/ Archer (-)
48/ S Johnson (-)
49/ Richardson (-)
50/ Koutoufides (46)

Missing from Sheehan's;

51/ B Harvey (35)
61/ Lappin (49)
62/ Langford (40)
63/ J Brown (34)
69/ B Johnson (22)
-/ Lynch (38)

It was interesting that most of our selections, especially early in the rankings, are very similar. The most notable are the discrepancies between Brad Johnson and Lynch (who just missed my best 100 since 1980). Chris Grant is my highest ranked player that he overlooked.
Take the essendon bias out the list is good.

Take the essendon bias out the list is good.
Thanks for the backhanded compliment Wildman. Considering Mike had similar rankings to me it would make sense that I might rate them slightly higher due to me seeing them play more often. As I've said before, I've tried to be as unbiased as I can. I have my rationale for each Essendon player ranking. Jobe is the obvious point of difference here but I rate him as a better player, generally, than Mitchell for example, but Mitchell has finals performances to edge him ahead.

Thanks for the backhanded compliment Wildman. Considering Mike had similar rankings to me it would make sense that I might rate them slightly higher due to me seeing them play more often. As I've said before, I've tried to be as unbiased as I can. I have my rationale for each Essendon player ranking. Jobe is the obvious point of difference here but I rate him as a better player, generally, than Mitchell for example, but Mitchell has finals performances to edge him ahead.
You bumped them all and snuck Watson in. He needs more than 3 good years to get a spot. Injuries has hurt his standing in the game.

No way is Fletcher at the same level as Scarlett and Sos. There is a decent gap.

You bumped them all and snuck Watson in. He needs more than 3 good years to get a spot. Injuries has hurt his standing in the game.

No way is Fletcher at the same level as Scarlett and Sos. There is a decent gap.
Jobe has had 6 years of elite quality football. Won his first B&F in 2009. Missed 6 weeks in 2011 but still got 15 Brownlow votes. The only other season where he missed significant number of games was last year where up to that point he was in career best form. Injuries have done nothing to diminish his standing unless you equate absence as a decrease in ability/poor form. The only thing that diminishes his standing is lack of finals influence.

As for Fletch. I think we've tackled this before. Fletch was the most critical piece in our successful teams.

My re-done top 50 (Mike's rankings in brackets)

1. Gary Ablett Jnr. (2)
2. Wayne Carey (1)
3. Gary Ablett Snr. (3)
4. Tony Lockett (5)
5. Jason Dunstall (4)
6. Lance Franklin (17)
7. James Hird (9)
8. Greg Williams (8)
9. Jason Akermanis (29)
10. Stephen Silvagni (20)
11. Mark Ricciuto (26)
12. Michael Voss (6)
13. Gavin Wanganeen (30)
14. Simon Black (14)
15. Robert Harvey (11)
16. Adam Goodes (27)
16. Chris Judd (7)
17. Matthew Lloyd (36)
18. Anthony Koutofides (46)
19. Chris Grant (-)
20. Tony Modra (-)
21. Andrew McLeod (13)
22. Paul Kelly (24)
23. Stephen Kernahan (18)
24. Nathan Buckley (14)
25. Darren Jarman (44)
26. Joel Selwood (33)
27. Ben Cousins (23)
28. Nick Riewoldt (48)
29. Matthew Richardson (-)
30. Dean Cox (12)
31. Warren Tredrea (47)
32. Glenn Jackovich (25)
33. Brendan Fevola (-)
34. Matthew Scarlett (19)
35. Matthew Pavlich (50)
36. Peter Matera (10)
37. Barry Hall (-)
38. Saverio Rocca (-)
39. Darren Glass (-)
40. Jonathan Brown (34)
41. Michael O'Loughlin (-)
42. Sam Mitchell (41)
43. Jimmy Bartel (45)
44. Shane Crawford (31)
45. Corey McKernan (-)
46. Phil Matera (-)
47. Nigel Lappin (49)
48. Scott West (-)
49. Lenny Hayes (-)
50. Jude Bolton (-)

51. Brent Harvey (35)
52. Garry Hocking (-)
53. David Neitz (-)
54. Steve Johnson (-)
55. Luke Hodge (15)
56. Scott Pendlebury (39)
57. Garry Lyon (-)
58. Daniel Bradshaw (-)
59. Dustin Fletcher (32)
60. Glenn Archer (-)

No Brad Johnson, no Alastair Lynch, no Dane Swan, no Craig Bradley.

Also no Langford, Platten, Salmon or Roos because my list starts in 1995 unlike Mike's which starts in 1990.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he played clean he wouldn't be on the list because he wouldn't have the massive advantage of being able to raise his pain barrier, shred and feel 6.4' and bulletproof.
He had unfair advantage due to the gear. That is why the gear is banned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If he played clean he wouldn't be on the list because he wouldn't have the massive advantage of being able to raise his pain barrier, shred and feel 6.4' and bulletproof.
He had unfair advantage due to the gear. That is why the gear is banned.

Actually the gear is only banned when taken on match days something he has never done hence the guy is a superstar.

Actually the gear is only banned when taken on match days.

I didn't know that. Fair enough, but it still benefited his preparation.

Strange that if it is only banned on match day that Ben self admittedly avoided drug tests.

I didn't know that. Fair enough, but it still benefited his preparation.

Strange that if it is only banned on match day that Ben self admittedly avoided drug tests.

gotta say i agree with this it definately wold have helped his training and building his elite running engine up

gotta say i agree with this it definately wold have helped his training and building his elite running engine up
Thats ridiculous, he took illicit recreational drugs which became a hindrance and eventually made him sloppy. He just liked to party and get smashed which is far from performance enhancing. That lifestyle cut his ability and career short and makes you wonder how much better he could've been had he stayed clean

Thats ridiculous, he took illicit recreational drugs which became a hindrance and eventually made him sloppy. He just liked to party and get smashed which is far from performance enhancing. That lifestyle cut his ability and career short and makes you wonder how much better he could've been had he stayed clean

It's not called Marching Powder for nothing. Long term, not good for you. It enables the human body to exceed its normal limits and was a tried and tested performance enhancer in the Tour de France for decades. Therefore, most sports drug authorities rightfully deem it performance enhancing. West Coke Eagles definitely boosted by it and you then have Daniel Chick importing steroids etc, other players connected to organised crime etc.

Updated to end 2017.

Martin charges onto the list this year. Usually a player needs to have played at an elite level for a number of years to be where he is placed but his 2017 is something extraordinary. His years leading up were still very good but I am now seeing Leigh Matthews attributes in Martin - a rare accolade.

Cotchin sneaks in now as well with his newfound Selwood-like intensity.

Updated to end 2017.

Martin charges onto the list this year. Usually a player needs to have played at an elite level for a number of years to be where he is placed but his 2017 is something extraordinary. His years leading up were still very good but I am now seeing Leigh Matthews attributes in Martin - a rare accolade.

Cotchin sneaks in now as well with his newfound Selwood-like intensity.
Great list mate.

Where abouts would you rate Rance? I know it's a bit early to say, but a lot of people have him in talks as being up there with scarlett and silvagni. Now obviously they proved themselves across their careers, but if going by that logic you could take martin, danger back off the list because their careers havent ended. if that makes sense.

just nitpicking :D

Great list mate.

Where abouts would you rate Rance? I know it's a bit early to say, but a lot of people have him in talks as being up there with scarlett and silvagni. Now obviously they proved themselves across their careers, but if going by that logic you could take martin, danger back off the list because their careers havent ended. if that makes sense.

just nitpicking :D
Rance is getting close. You'll notice that he's in a cluster of players at the end of my list in the OP that just miss the cut. At this stage I still rate Langford slightly ahead of him based on an elite career for a FB. Rance is a great athlete and very difficult to outpoint but he is nowhere near the offensive threat that Scarlett, Silvagni and Fletcher were.

This is very subjective and some great players will just miss out. This is based on what I can vividly remember. This makes it hard to know where to place players such as Peter Knights who I have vague memories of being a sensational player but who was winding down and injured a lot when the 80s came around. (As of the end of 2017 I have had to remove Knights from the list).

For those whose careers I only saw a part of I am assessing them on the qualitative aspects of their career in that period. Thus, the quality i saw from Blight was so bloody good he deserves a high ranking whilst Knights only gave glimpses of what he must've once been. And Blight rates above a full Brereton career because Brereton rarely produced the extraordinary footy I saw from Blight in the early 80s.

My method was to firstly rate each team's players in order before then ranking them against other players.

So here goes;

100/ Eddie Betts - small forwards are somewhat underrated but Eddie has the consistency of output now to go with the freakish goal sense. I love players who do the remarkable.
99/ Cyril Rioli - in light of his 2015 GF as well as several years of game-turning performances, he has earned a spot in the top 100, thus surpassing his uncle Maurice who would be just outside the list.
98/ Chris Langford - unflinching and composed full back who was rarely beaten.
97/ Trent Cotchin - it's been a meteoric rise in my estimations of Cotch. He's had runs on the board as a very gifted player but something was missing. Well, I guess maniacal intensity certainly adds something I guess... plus leading his team to the ultimate success.
96/ Darren Millane - this bloke was the key ingredient to their 1990 GF team. Fearsome and talented. I wonder how highly he may have climbed if tragedy had not struck.
95/ Sean Burgoyne - Has eased his way into this list on the back of consistently being able to provide vital contributions at critical stages in big games like a boss. Iceman.
94/ Chad Cornes - Port were hard to beat in the Cornes era and without this bloke they'd have been leaky.
93/ Gary Ayres - 2 Norm Smiths. Tough and a thorn in the side of many non-Hawk fans of the 80s. Wasn't a week-in-week-out star but lifted in big games.
92/ Gary Buckenara - very gifted and versatile player who had a freakish sense for goals and sure hands when marking.
91/ Brad Johnson - tall and small, pivotal to a good Doggies era.
90/ Ryan O'Keefe - from being a very good lead-up forward to then becoming a ferocious, tackling, contested possession winning mid with a classy finish who performed in big games.
89/ Harry Taylor - I surprised myself adding him but he really is a class act and a crucial part of a Cat's era.
88/ Justin Leppitsch - I rate him just ahead of Taylor. Difficult to split them and of similar importance.
87/ Robert Dipierdomenico - tough, straight ahead, intimidating, incisive, and a bit of a numbskull. Was a beast in finals.
86/ Roger Merrett - put fear into the opposition. Critical to Bombers success and defining the way for Brisbane.
85/ Guy McKenna - a pure HBF who was beautifully balanced and a model of composure.
84/ Scott West - just super-consistent and a mega-multi-B&F winner. Not exceptional enough on pure talent for mine though.
83/ Dean Kemp - underrated but a very highly skilled and pivotal component of a dominant WC era.
82/ Brent Harvey - for the first 2/3 of his career I considered Boomer to be an unexceptional player. Talented, no doubt, but below the very best. But his last 150 or so games earned my respect.
81/ Corey Enright - dependable and the orchestrator of many Cats attacking plays.
80/ Nicky Winmar - few I've seen with better all-round skills. A pleasure to watch with raking accurate kicks and aerial prowess.
79/ Michael Long - hard to separate from Winmar but his finals performances win out. Made time stand still.
78/ Anthony Koutoufides - his years around 99/2000 were awesome and if he'd done it for 10 years would be top 10.
77/ Nat Fyfe - remarkably talented all-round player who just needs some continuity in his game and to put a few more years of exceptional football together to be in the top half of this list.
76/ Brendon Goddard - consistently prolific and a player who adjusts his game from inside to outside to suit the situation.
75/ Mark Mercuri - just about the smoothest moving footballer I've seen. He produced big-game performances throughout the 90s but faded later in his career due to injuries and the death of his brother.
74/ Nigel Lappin - in the shadows of elite Lions, he was classy and courageous. A real fave of mine.
73/ Paul Chapman - everyone wants one in their team. Hard-arsed match-winner forward or mid and in big games too.
72/ Gerard Healy - classy Brownlow winner who made it look easy. Exceptional at Melbourne which most forget.
71/ Shane Crawford - elite engine and great skills.
70/ Glen Archer - the shinboner spirit was not a North thing it was an Archer thing and it died when he retired (well, he epitomised it anyway).
69/ Lenny Hayes - like Archer he was a warrior and I thoroughly respect him. Plus he had a shimmy to die for.
68/ Jobe Watson - an immense effort to excel to be the rounded player he became. He was too fat and became chiselled, couldn't kick and became precise, and was too slow so became quick of hand and mind.
67/ Tony Modra - spectacular but unlike someone like Capper, was a well-rounded footballer who should've had a premiership to his name. Marked down due to only a few years of peak performance.
66/ Gary Hocking - for so many years he threatened a Brownlow despite his ugly mug. Just an elite competitor.
65/ JP Kennedy - has been a revelation playing as a big bodied mid at Sydney. He is very difficult to counter and knows how to kick goals. Finals credibility lifting his ranking.
64/ Jonathan Brown - a colossus. At his best was one of the very best but I feel a bit short-changed over the years on what he might have been.
63/ Ross Glendinning - a Brownlow, an elite kick, and WC pioneer. Was the best pure CHB I had seen before Roos and then became a competent, albeit one-dimensional, full forward at West Coast.
62/ Michael Tuck - consummate professional. Just did everything within his capabilities to perfection.
61/ Matthew Richardson - what a talent to watch! Unfortunately things could unravel for him too easily.
60/ Steve Johnson - mercurial, like Koutafides, but consistently produced in big games and became prolific as a midfielder as well.
59/ Doug Hawkins - Dancing Dougie was a pleasure to watch in the 80s. Baulked, weaved, blind-turned...
58/ Keith Greig - is probably better than this rank but what I remember was the remnants of the perfect running wingman.
57/ Jimmy Bartel - got all the awards and medals and was Mr Versatile. Great overhead and below the knees.
56/ Paul Kelly - similar to Buddha but I liked him a bit more. His break away from contests was electrifying
55/ Dane Swan - he produced more often than not, was insanely prolific and kicked goals but there were deficiencies that are elusive to me... I'm sure they'll come to me.
54/ Paul Salmon - his Hawthorn years give his career completeness in that he reached the heights of his potential in both positions he played in. An elite ruck and forward and kicked many goals in finals.
53/ Wayne Schimmelbusch - a composed, skilled leader who was brilliant in traffic.
52/ Robert Flower - a sublime artist to watch play. If I'd seen his whole career he'd be higher.
51/ Sam Mitchell - has made himself a better player year after year and just nails every possession these days bringing others into the game.
50/ Terry Daniher - 'safe' is the word here. Safe hands, safe kick at goal, and others felt safe behind the captain. And tough too.
49/ Craig Bradley - endurance, speed, skills. The perfect midfielder of today and a star back then.
48/ Joel Selwood - has produced the goods from the start of his career and rarely does he not contribute. Inspiring player.
47/ Glen Jakovich - the only kryptonite for Carey and an impassible wall at CHB.
46/ John Platten - the perfect rover. He was just so effective and largely unstoppable.
45/ Scott Pendlebury - this guy is a jet and has produced enough over the years to warrant a high ranking.
44/ Chris Grant - brilliant at either end of the ground.
43/ Warren Tredrea - the best CHF in the comp for several years post-Carey.
42/ Ben Cousins - he had limitations to his game but not his running. Run...spew...run...spew. Inspiring.
41/ Dustin Martin - is becoming one of the most devastatingly impactful players the game has seen. If he can reproduce the dominance at close to 2017 levels for a few more years he will reach the top tier of players.
40/ Patrick Dangerfield - Has risen to become considered in the best few players in the comp and we only wait now for a complete career and perhaps a premiership to be bracketed with the best of the best.
39/ Jason Akermanis - a pleasure to watch. His speed and precision were a lethal combo.
38/ Dean Cox - the second-best ruckman on the list. His midfielder qualities set him apart from most.
37/ Dustin Fletcher - an attacking and defensive weapon. Hard to put value on lunging saves & kicks to advantage
36/ Stephen Silvagni - a better one-on-one FB than Fletch and a damaging forward when needed but not as skilled
35/ Matthew Scarlett - rounds out the 3 FBs. I place him first because his composure defined the Cats thrusts and was never beaten comprehensively.
34/ Gavin Wanganeen - forward or back he was a gem. Courage, skill, and smarts.
33/ Simon Black - no longer underrated. One of the classiest big-game players of any era.
32/ Bruce Doull - he was so damn cool. Unflustered, rarely beaten. Would surely be higher had i seen more.
31/ Kevin Bartlett - I only saw the end of his career and he's this high. Nuff said.
30/ Matthew Pavlich - THE Docker. Some great finals performances toward the end of career back up his consistent brilliance.
29/ Matthew Lloyd - few better marks at full pace. Few better kicks at goal. Dodgy hammy ruined his twilight.
28/ Luke Hodge - dual Norm Smith and Premiership captain who is rising up the list despite a somewhat patchy early career.
27/ Darren Jarman - exquisite skills. Made the game look easy like few others.
26/ Mark Ricciuto - fierce bulldozer with elite skills. A frightening match-up
25/ Adam Goodes - respect Goodesy. Probably got better as he got older which glosses over some poor early years.
24/ Paul Roos - was an elite CHB and became the prototype running HBF. If he played for a top team he would be universally rated higher.
23/ Andrew McLeod - 2 Norms and the most dashing small defender I've seen. And he was a better on-baller.
22/ Peter Matera - dashing goal kicking wingman who performed in big games. So poised.
21/ Robert Harvey - I used to marvel at how he found his way through traffic. Ultimate pro.
20/ Nick Riewoldt - just a machine. Unfairly criticised too. There has never been a forward who ran non-stop like him.
19/ Dermott Brereton - for a short CHF he was immense. As a Bomber fan I am only too aware of how good he was.
18/ Stephen Kernahan - such a formidable opponent. Everyone knew he was good even before arriving from SA.
17/ Nathan Buckley - ultimate professional and the prototype footballer. I feel he didn't kick enough goals for his ability.
16/ Chris Judd - was at his best when at WC bursting out of packs but lacked kicking penetration and his goal-kicking impact was only average. But unquestionably a superb player who became a contested ball-winning machine at Carlton.
15/ Peter Daicos - he was the king of the impossible goal. Freaky skills and was a great on-baller early in career.
14/ Malcolm Blight - he was capable of unbelievable feats. During the early 80s he was my fave non-Ess player.
13/ Bernie Quinlan - this bloke was incredible to watch. Big mark, long straight kick. Elegant tall match winner.
12/ Simon Madden - best tap ruckman I have seen. Could kick goals. Could mark on blokes' heads. Was my football hero as a kid. And a Norm Smith winner as well.
11/ Greg Williams - THE ball magnet. Could see things in traffic that no mere mortal could.
10/ Tim Watson - the best mid of the 80s. Explosive run, goal-kicker, and the player to stop in big games
9/ Michael Voss - the tough inspiring leader of an all conquering side with great all-round game.
8/ James Hird - saw the game unfold like few others and could will himself into the game/contest when needed.
7/ Lance Franklin - hard to place but he does such amazing things that few others can that he has to be up there. His career at Sydney has cemented him as a top 10 player. His brilliance creating folklore in new environs.
6/ Jason Dunstall - most rounded full forward of all. The perfect lead-mark-goal player and had a defensive side.
5/ Tony Lockett - just ahead of JD. Imposing, intimidating, dead-eye and in a perennially crap team.
4/ Leigh Matthews - I was inspired by this bloke as a youngster, brushing aside giants like flies and snapping goals at will through traffic.
3/ Gary Ablett Jr - now ahead of Lethal but largely due to me missing most of Lethal's midfield career.
2/ Wayne Carey - the most inspiring player to play the game... but not the most incredible... coz that man is...
1/ Gary Ablett Sr - you'll never see a player do the things he did again. Everyone else on this list can be emulated but not God.

Apologies to;
Rehn, Goodwin, Ben Hart, CJohnson, Al Lynch, Gary Wilson, WJohnston, Fevola, Hunter, TShaw, Cloke, Moore, Gav Brown, Neagle, Baker, Van Der Haar, M Harvey, Mick Turner, Couch, Knights, Roughead, Stynes, Neitz, Lyon, Dempsey, J Krakouer, Dench, Stevens, MRioli, Rance, Roach, Weightman, Milne, Loewe, Barker, SFisher, Hall, O'Loughlin, Glass and others I'm sure.

Club by club;

Hawthorn - 19 representatives (2 played easily their best footy at other clubs)
Essendon - 14 (2)
Geelong - 11 (0)
Sth Melb/Sydney - 11 (2)
Fitzroy/Brisbane - 11 (2)
Carlton - 8 (0)
West Coast - 8 (1)
Nth Melb - 7 (0)
Adelaide - 7 (1)
Footscray - 7 (3)
St Kilda - 6 (0)
Collingwood - 6 (1)
Port Adelaide - 4 (0)
Richmond - 4 (0)
Fremantle - 3 (1)
Melbourne - 2 (0)
Gold Coast - 1 (0)
GWS - 1 (1)

Feel free to pick away and make suggestions.

a great list and well thought out. I couldn't help reminisce about some of these greats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back