Bumped Tommy Lonergan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts? Here are mine:
  • Was surprised, like many, to see him selected
  • Has shown nothing up forward in the past
  • For these reasons, along with the fact that he has been playing in defence in the 2s, was expecting him to spend some time down back
  • Played the majority of the first quarter up forward - I thought he showed quite a bit
  • But then didn't get much game time after that
A little odd?

thehoff said:
Give him another chance and play him in the backline all day!

Bingo !!!!!

It doesn't help him that he'll come on midway through the 1st qtr and go forward for 5 minutes,then go off,then come back on and go to defence for 5 minutes.Then the same happens next qtr.Just start him in defence and leave him there.It's where he's done well in the VFL.

Who's spot will he take in the backline?

Scarlett, Harley and Egan play as talls.

Enright and Hunt can also play on taller or small leading players.

Agree that he might have to wait until someone gets hurt.

i'll be honest guys i'll feel alot better about our list when we get rid of all the experimental key forwards like lonergan, gardiner, mccarthy, playfair, nablett and kingsley (is there anyone ive forgotten??). the sooner we make room by getting these guys off our list the better. 3-4 years is long enough to show whether or not your going to make it and i'm afraid these blokes are not...

tommahawk_07 said:
i'll be honest guys i'll feel alot better about our list when we get rid of all the experimental key forwards like lonergan, gardiner, mccarthy, playfair, nablett and kingsley (is there anyone ive forgotten??). the sooner we make room by getting these guys off our list the better. 3-4 years is long enough to show whether or not your going to make it and i'm afraid these blokes are not...

Now I'm interested, who would you then propose we play?

tommahawk_07 said:
this is for next year mate. the only reason we would keep any of those blokes is to prop up the vfl team. i think we all know who we will play next year...

NAblett to prop up or VFL team. Come on, give the kid a chance..

thehoff said:
NAblett to prop up or VFL team. Come on, give the kid a chance..

Mate seriously the kid has had his chance and has proven that he just cant cut it in the big stuff, he cant live off his last name anymore...And keeping him the prop up the reserves is just rediculous...send him back to moddawarre where he can duck for cover again when someone appears with a camera

tommahawk_07 said:
this is for next year mate. the only reason we would keep any of those blokes is to prop up the vfl team. i think we all know who we will play next year...

4 key forwards on a club list doesn't cut it mate (let alone one where two are yet to play a game).

There is deadwood to be cleared, yes, but not to the lengths you've mentioned.

cam_the_bruce said:
Mate seriously the kid has had his chance and has proven that he just cant cut it in the big stuff, he cant live off his last name anymore...And keeping him the prop up the reserves is just rediculous...send him back to moddawarre where he can duck for cover again when someone appears with a camera

Go back to your own board dopey and stop attempting to fire people up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cam_the_bruce said:

Melbourne board is elsewhere - and it's Modewarre.

tommahawk_07 said:

If ur referring to Hawkins then please stop posting - the last thing the kid needs is rediculous pressure put on him by Geel supporters. Sure he's got talent, but he hasn't proven anything where it counts - let him grow into an AFL superstar rather than breaking him by placing the world of expectation on his shoulders straight up.

To everyone wondering why Lonergan isn't being given a full game in defence to prove he's worth keeping is because Mark Thompson has obviously already made the decision that Lonergan will be kept. If it was a 50/50 situation, then he'd be given every chance to prove himself, the fact he's being used sparingly is an indication that Bomber sees him as a long term player and not worthy of a 100% gametime match.

Go 'Loners' 2007!!!

cam_the_bruce said:

How come this board seems to attract every *****brain opposition supporter ?

conf44.gif

So this Snowbunny troll thinks we should delist him after he's played about 10 games in less than 2 years.Does the idiot know there's a guy currently in the senior team that's played less games and has been there twice as long and has barely done a thing in the seniors ?

I guess cam_the_moron doesn't mention him because she/he doesn't know the players surname.It just shows how the Ablett name attracts the trolls.They're obsessed with NA.Why ?

we aint got any real key forwards at the moment, just pretenders. i say get excited about the tomahawk! he's already done more for this club than lonergan, mccarthy, playfair, nablett etc. put together and he hasnt even played a game! i'm sure the kid does not read this board so relax mate there's no extra pressure...

tommahawk_07 said:
we aint got any real key forwards at the moment, just pretenders. i say get excited about the tomahawk! he's already done more for this club than lonergan, mccarthy, playfair, nablett etc. put together and he hasnt even played a game! i'm sure the kid does not read this board so relax mate there's no extra pressure...

Umm, I can't wait for Hawkins to arrive, but he hasn't done more than the guys you've listed. For example Nathan Ablett helped us win a game against West Coast last year in a big way. McCarthy kicked 5 against Carlton - that helped us win. Playfair has played some good games for Geelong.

Hawkins looks an outstanding prospect, but let's keep some perspective.

JUBJUB said:
How come this board seems to attract every *****brain opposition supporter ?

conf44.gif

So this Snowbunny troll thinks we should delist him after he's played about 10 games in less than 2 years.Does the idiot know there's a guy currently in the senior team that's played less games and has been there twice as long and has barely done a thing in the seniors ?

I guess cam_the_moron doesn't mention him because she/he doesn't know the players surname.It just shows how the Ablett name attracts the trolls.They're obsessed with NA.Why ?

Mate i aint obsessed with Nathan, but obsession is a word that gets mentioned when describing the Ablett name...usually Gary Tablett Snr though

Partridge said:
Umm, I can't wait for Hawkins to arrive, but he hasn't done more than the guys you've listed. For example Nathan Ablett helped us win a game against West Coast last year in a big way. McCarthy kicked 5 against Carlton - that helped us win. Playfair has played some good games for Geelong.

Hawkins looks an outstanding prospect, but let's keep some perspective.

i think you are the one who needs to keep perspective partridge. you take my words too literally just ease up. lets be honest tho 5 against carlton is nothing to hang your hat on and nath ablett has done feck all apart from that game. what game did playfair take by the scruff of the neck i cant remember one?? these players all need to be delisted asap...

tommahawk_07 said:

Im sure he doesnt read this board, but these forums, fans chatting, its where it all starts, then the papers get hold of the expectations and start writting articles after the first year when he hasn't shown nothing and all of a sudden there's a pressure on the kid to perform.

I wouldnt be expecting anything from him straight up, but if he fires that will be great - at the same time im not going to be writting him off in 2 years if he's yet to play a snr. game. - Give Nathan Ablett a chance, sure he's done nothing, but he's shown glimpses here and there ... he'll come good.

tommahawk_07 said:
i think you are the one who needs to keep perspective partridge. you take my words too literally just ease up. lets be honest tho 5 against carlton is nothing to hang your hat on and nath ablett has done feck all apart from that game. what game did playfair take by the scruff of the neck i cant remember one?? these players all need to be delisted asap...

If Hawkins plays 5 games and kicks 10 goals next year we should be very happy. And personally I hope he doesn't play any more than that - he will need time to get up to speed.

id be quite happy to not see lonergan in the team again. sure he's played OKAY but he's never had a fantastic/outstanding game where he's made a huge contribution.

tommahawk_07 said:

is this bloke for real?....leave the damn kid alone u imbasile!...he hasnt even trained/been near the club yet and your already hailing him as the b n f winner for next year (yes im exaggerating) but come on lets not get carried away here ok!....yes we have seen him play and he will be fabulous for us,but gee whiz lets not get all this pressure on this kid before we even draft him!

tommahawk_07 said:

Agree about delisting McCarthy, unsure about Playfair (although time's running out) as Gardiner for sure will get chopped first, no way Nathan Ablett as he hasn't had the chances others have. From all reports his form in the VFL has been solid. Unlike almost all our other forwards he can actually take a mark over his head as well.

Don't worry I want Hawkins to succeed as much as anyone. When he kicked 6 in the Vic Metro game on Channel 9 I was doing somersaults. I forced my girlfriend to watch and she got jealous. Assuming a good preseason for him I wouldn't love it if he was in the seniors Round 1, 2007.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back